Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plan9 = sr host os?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
i was reading up on the abilitys of this os and i hit me that it would work nicely as a way of explaining some of the abilitys of a host.

the thing was that like any unix it would list hardware as a file. but it had the ability to merge local directorys with external mounts for the same area so that you could say mount the hardware list of a external computer into the list of your local computer and from one place admin and access the combined list.

hell, even the diffrent processes running on the diffrent machines where represented by file and directory trees. or for that matter the windows on a desktop.

so basicly when a user logs in to a host what he logs into is a frontend system where the resouces of the whole network is mounted and can be accessed and controled.

then you nail a 3d gui on top of that and presto nyahnyah.gif
Edward
The thing I don’t like bout that type pf setup is that traditionally hackers have been at least as likely to bypass the front end and use an exploit that takes them to a section an authorised user would never even think about.

For some reason deckers pretty much don’t do that. I think it works best unexplained, personally I don’t like the matrix as a communications medium, it works great for telepresence and entertainment but for accessing data it is woefully limiting.

Edward
hobgoblin
well the reason i posted this was that i was struck by how similar plan9 and a host sounded when you got past the 3d ui...
Birdy
Plan9 was one of the "distributed OS with MicroKernel" flock that was around in the late 80s/early 90s. The last living decendent is the bloated monstrosity that is Mac OS-X ( a MACH-3 "microkernel")

If you are interested in the stuff, look for a copy of Tanenbaums "Modern Operating Systems) or any stuff on

Plan 9 (From one of the original UNIX authors)
Mach-OS (used in NEXT, Mac)
Amobea (From Tanenbaum)
System Fünf (NOT! System 5, that's AT&T Unix[1])

While the original "Matrix" of Neuromancer "fame" was based on an AD&D Dungeon, the RPG Matrix Systems could be based on one of the above OS if the RPG authors knew about those (which I doubt)

Birdy

[1] All praise the mighty AT&T, all hail the holly pages of the SVID
hobgoblin
birdy, im not saying that there is a direct connection.

but with the abilitys that plan9 have it or a decendant (linux and the bsds are looking into implementing some of those abilitys these days) would fit nicely as the os for running the SR3 matrix system as its currently described.

say you have the user connections all mounted under access (delete one and you should kill said users connection wink.gif ), the main hardware and process list of all systems that makes up the host under control, index containing a collection of databases monitoring changes and other stuff for fast searching, files is the collective area for fileservers and slave is the place for listing all external hardware.

basicly this allows the host to scale from being one machine to being 100+ machines on a network and still the user access it as if it was a single machine. makes me kinda think of a term that sun was trowing around not to long ago about grid computing "the network is the computer". they where refering to the sharing of computing resources only tho.

so while there is not direct connection there is a kind of similarity...
Kagetenshi
*Thumbs up* Great job sliding the troll past everyone there, Birdy.

~J
Birdy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
*Thumbs up* Great job sliding the troll past everyone there, Birdy.

~J

??? What Troll?

If you talk about the Mac-OS X comment, a 1.2MByte MicroKernel is huge! When Mach-OS was developed, 128MB was a huge memory, the original NextStation (a Mach-1 Kernel) http://www.old-computers.com/museum/comput....asp?st=1&c=555 hat 8-32MB. The lumped all the "modules" into one monolitic kernel with Mac-X.

@Hobgoblin:

I actually agreed that this OS could be the base, even more since it was born at the ole BellLabs.

I jusrt doubt that the original authors back in the early 1990s knew about those OS. They where still rather obscure stuff you saw in CompSci classes more often than in real life.

Birdy
hobgoblin
i know, there is no direct link. but its kinda funny to think how similar one of the latest "generation" of cyberpunk themed computing is with the abilitys of plan9...

and on the subject of microkernels, isnt windows nt and later supposedly based on a microkernel? if so then how the hell can a display driver kill the os? from how i understand a microkernel every driver is a module and if a module fails then you just restart it while the rest of the os moves on or wait for the module to come back up.

i guess the reason is the same as with os x's "large" kernel, they moved em very close to or into the kernel itself for performance reasons. while the microkernel in theory is nice the performance can be a problem as anything in a module or further out from the kernel live in application space rather then kernel space to protect the stability of the system.

strange realy that many of the top os's out there today are based if not on code then on concepts, from the days of the big irons...

its like the dinos would show up on our collective doorstep and request the earth back silly.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i know, there is no direct link. but its kinda funny to think how similar one of the latest "generation" of cyberpunk themed computing is with the abilitys of plan9...

and on the subject of microkernels, isnt windows nt and later supposedly based on a microkernel? if so then how the hell can a display driver kill the os? from how i understand a microkernel every driver is a module and if a module fails then you just restart it while the rest of the os moves on or wait for the module to come back up.

i guess the reason is the same as with os x's "large" kernel, they moved em very close to or into the kernel itself for performance reasons. while the microkernel in theory is nice the performance can be a problem as anything in a module or further out from the kernel live in application space rather then kernel space to protect the stability of the system.

strange realy that many of the top os's out there today are based if not on code then on concepts, from the days of the big irons...

its like the dinos would show up on our collective doorstep and request the earth back silly.gif

Yup, in one of the CP books they even tried to translate the Net into real world technical terms. :=)

Modern Matrix borrows a lot of concepts from those special OS systems and/or network systems. And they finally did seperate security nets from data nets.

As for microkernels:

+ Actually NT 3.51 and OS/2 where based on MC ideas with the Kernel running in System mode and the Drivers in User Mode. That slowed down the system but made it extremly rugged

+ NT4 changed the drivers to System mode for speed.

+ LINUX uses a variant of the MC approach since Kernel 2.x with the loadable modules

+ MC died IRL because hardware prices dropped and performance skyrocketed. A 1995 Pentium/100 has the same computational power as a 1980s ES-9000 mainframe unit. Heck, my PDA has a 400MHz/128MB ARM-Processor. Back in the late 80s/early 90s that was a High-Powerd workstation CPU

As for the rest, basically NT/2000/XP und Linux are still based on good old AT&T UNIX from 1970. And why not, perfection is hard to improve on.

Birdy
hobgoblin
i thought that mc never got of the idea/experemetnal stage because at the time they didnt have the hardware to run it on. ie, it needed more horsepower then a normal kernel given the extra levels of data i/o needed between the kernel and the modules. and that its only now that we have the computing power to trow at it...
Birdy
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i thought that mc never got of the idea/experemetnal stage because at the time they didnt have the hardware to run it on. ie, it needed more horsepower then a normal kernel given the extra levels of data i/o needed between the kernel and the modules. and that its only now that we have the computing power to trow at it...

Depends a bit. Technically Mac-X is a Mach and if the GNU guys ever get HURD outl, it will be a useable MC system. And you can download Plan 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_kernel

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/release4.html

But basically you are right. Ideas got used, some special OS are basically micro-kernel systems (The QNX real time Unix, RTOS-UH) are used in real-time applications. But as you said, MC never made it to the "PC Network/Business Network"

Birdy
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Birdy)
??? What Troll?

I was referring more to your offhand slam against microkernels, though reading it when I'm not as sleep-deprived (ah, naps) makes me back away on the "troll" assertion—I still disagree, but I apologize for the overstated accusation. I'll leave any further comments on the matter until I wake up a bit more.

~J
Birdy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Jun 27 2005, 04:09 PM)
??? What Troll?

I was referring more to your offhand slam against microkernels, though reading it when I'm not as sleep-deprived (ah, naps) makes me back away on the "troll" assertion—I still disagree, but I apologize for the overstated accusation. I'll leave any further comments on the matter until I wake up a bit more.

~J

A old chap, it's nothing a good can of tea can't solve isn't it. :=)

Actually I like MicroKernels, even drove 300km to listen on Mr. Tanenbaum speaking on Amobea. Just dislike the way Mac-X does "Microkernel". Oh and it should be "128 KILOBytes was a huge memory", not Megabytes in one of my older posts. Heck, in 1989 the 4 MegaByte of my old Mega-ST was a giantic amount and 64 Megabyte was a huge harddisk.

Birdy

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012