Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interchangable Cyber limbs.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyxll
I was looking through some Cyberpunk books and get an idea, what about a cyber arm where you can remove from the forearm or possibly from the wrist and replace it with a different tool.

example... you remove your hand ... and replace it with a mechanised winch.... when you get to the top of the roof remove the winch and pop on a blade or flail.

I know that a hand cam do a great deal, but removing the wrist sometimes will allow you to put more strain on the limb. A hand's grip can let go, but if the device is anchored into the limb you get more strength.

Also saw some limbs with an extra mobility, like how the GIJOE's could put their arm behind their backs.
BitBasher
Well really, the thing is there's no reason to do any of those things in a cyberlimb, when you can just use a rapelling kit or other similar gear that would cost far, far less.
Fix-it
it doesn't make sense for stuff like rapelling, but it does for stuff like micromanipulators , electronics, and other fine work.
in Burning Chrome by Will Gibson (shame on you if you haven't read it.)
Automatic jack regularly removes his arm and hooks up a small manipulator arm in order to do electronics work.
RedmondLarry
I love the replaceable cyberhand on a replaceable cyberlimb.

My favorite removeable limb has the grappel gun/winch inside. With fiber-optic lines extending DNI control to the hand even when lowering yourself from a roof. That way you can release your grip when you've reached the ground.

My favorite cyberhand has add-on cybereyes, which for .5 essence lets me view things from the rooftop before letting go (as long as I close my regular eyes).

With eyelights, I can lower my hand into a well and look around.

And since the eyes are paid for with essence, I can cast spells from any point where I can get my hand. And with ghecko crawl, my hand can get to a lot of places.

I call that hand "The Thing". Here's a photo and some back story: The Thing
Nyxll
With eyelights, I can lower my hand into a well and look around.

that is pretty awesome.

I wonder how many people have made cyber mutants. People with parts mixed around, or redundant parts, like ears and eyes.

I was thinking more of a coolness factor than a cost factor. (at least I thought it was cool, yes I was aware it was not always practical)
Edward
Another time when it would be practical is when dealing with unusual limbs. Hid stealth for example has kid stealth cyber legs and normal cyber legs, although nobody has actually seen him use the normal ones it is assumed that this is because he uses them for sneaking around crowds, the sic freak wears the digitigrade legs to social events.

Also you can have options such as a cyber arm with a cyber deck in it and another with strength augmentation. Her with whatever else you want taking up the ECU, use whichever is most appropriate for this particular job.

Replacement hand was listed in cyber technology. I can’t find a mention of detachable cyber limbs in a rule book but I thought there was one somewhere.

Edward
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Jun 27 2005, 02:03 AM)
it doesn't make sense for stuff like rapelling, but it does for stuff like micromanipulators , electronics, and other fine work.
in Burning Chrome by Will Gibson (shame on you if you haven't read it.)
Automatic jack regularly removes his arm and hooks up a small manipulator arm in order to do electronics work.

Burning Chrome++

I wonder if Gibson borrowed from Heinlein or vice versa. (Thinking of Manny from The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, too lazy to check publishing dates.)

Both great books.
KarmaInferno
Hm.

In the Virtual Seattle campaign, my main character was a cyber-merc with both arms chromed.

He had the telescoping limbs option and extra cyber-eyes on the back of each hand fitted with the image link portion of smartlinks.

One of the odder tricks he'd pull was firing at opponents from completely behind cover, arms on either side of the cover like there were multiple people at his position.

And yes, he'd stick his hands into the oddest places to get a look inside/over/under.

I also had a power drill installed in his right arm. Came in handy for interrogations.

=)

Oh Lord, he didn't have a chainsaw attachment too, did he? biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
Nah, that would have been just overkill.

There's this line you don't cross, y'see?

biggrin.gif

Finger compartments full of torture tools would be handy...

Heh, you could put medical equipment in too, but the rectal thermometer would just look plain wrong biggrin.gif
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jun 27 2005, 11:13 AM)

I wonder if Gibson borrowed from Heinlein or vice versa.  (Thinking of Manny from The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, too lazy to check publishing dates.)

Both great books.

Whips Shanshu mercilessly with a wet noodle.

Mistress was published in 1966.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jun 27 2005, 11:13 AM)

I wonder if Gibson borrowed from Heinlein or vice versa.  (Thinking of Manny from The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, too lazy to check publishing dates.)

Both great books.

Whips Shanshu mercilessly with a wet noodle.

Mistress was published in 1966.

Of course you're right. I had a brain fart. Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012