Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Penta invades Poland
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Penta
OK...

I like what I'm seeing. Poland seems eminently usable as a setting, if the GM does outside reading on, for example, Jasna Gora (which has a history that works quite well for SR).

Perhaps not the best shadowrun location, in the sense of the urban ops we all know from, say, Seattle. But a very good location for mercenaries.

A small quibble in that the geography bit should have gone *before* the corp/underworld/etc bit, I think. It leads to some headscratching unless you skip around.

The corp/underworld section is OK. Providence makes me grin in hugely. The Catholics are now the Mormons. Protecting your soul and making a profit. smile.gif (Or is it the first non-profit megacorp? Hmm...That sounds interesting.)

Oh, and...Uh...What's Tricity? That's never explained. A brief narrative bit (since one doesn't look at a map of Poland and see "Tricity") would have been nice. A sentence that says "Oh, yeah, Tricity was once <whatever>."

(Yes, I get from the map that it's Danzing/Gdansk. I think. However, some explanation in the narrative would have been appreciated.)

That said, the areas seem defined enough to use, yet with plenty of space to play in.

Auschwitz...Wow, I didn't think it could be handled well.

I was wrong; it was handled great. You rock, whoever wrote that. smile.gif (Next on Fox..."When History Attacks!")

Yes. Poland totally reverses me. Locals (AH, this is the only time I'll ever admit to saying this biggrin.gif ) can do their homes decently.

Book: Still in decision.

Chapter: Outstanding.
mattness pl
Tricity = Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia.

Macko wrote it smile.gif
Penta
Thanks.smile.gif
Synner
Ironically enough with more than a little help from Joćo Nunes who is actually Portuguese.

One thing I would like to underline is that one of the stronger aspects of SoE is that certain elements come to the fore when you read various chapters. For instance, reading the RCC in Italy and then crossing that with what's in Spain, Poland and France gives you a much wider perspective.
Penta
Yeah, but that doesn't work with how people actually read, which is cover-to-cover. (At least, it's how I read.)

Reading stuff, then flipping back and forth to tie such things in, is a distinct pain. It's why footnotes are preferred over endnotes, for example. (Granted, most academic publications seem to like endnotes, but...Eh. Footnotes are better for reading.)

If that's the idea, then broad themes like the RCC should probably have had their own, short, chapters at the front of the book. Otherwise...

If it were a PDF document with hyperlinking and indexing and stuff, I would agree with that sort of arrangement. But that *really* doesn't work in print. It just breaks concentration.

However, I'll keep that in mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012