Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IrC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyxll
Is anyone using IRC for discussion/ gaming for shadowrun anymore?
Yoan
I frequent #s-run on undernet now and then. I have no clue about other IRC servers, though.
Jrayjoker
Never been a big fan. I tried #s-run at undernet too. No biggie.
draco aardvark
I was going to run a game on IRC, but my friends are all delinquent, so I'm writing the runs as a story instead. It's much less stressful than GMing - players don't get bored with charactors before I'm done with them, no missing players, I could get used to this.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (draco aardvark)
no missing players

Spoken like someone who hasn't experienced writers' block yet.

~J
Spark
what's IRC?
Kagetenshi
Internet Relay Chat, a distributed-ish application-layer chat protocol. Unlike something like AOL/Yahoo/MSN Instant Messenger, IRC is designed primarily for a chatroom-style discussion. A more detailed explanation.

In my opinion the entire thing is a kludge, and I try to avoid using it. That isn't particularly difficult.

~J
Nikoli
I dunno, I'll always have a soft-spot for IRC. i met my wife there. Aside from that, there is usually too much drama induced by the IRC peeps though for a good game.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I dunno, I'll always have a soft-spot for IRC. i met my wife there.

So you're the one. I thougt you were a myth!
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
I met mine in a bar, how pedestrian of me. frown.gif
golden-one
dont forget : irc.dumpshock.com.

#bulldrek, and #shadowrun.

Nikoli
Yeah, I'm the urban myth given flesh.
She's attractive, sane (at least enough for my tastes), and we've been married happily for 2 years now, knew each other for 4 years prior off and on with IRC and other chat tools.
No, I would really not recommend it for meeting the woman of your dreams, but I wouldn't say to close it off completely either.
Kagetenshi
Are you sure she isn't a sixty-year-old man? wink.gif

~J
Supercilious
I am a web-priest for the catholics, so if you want to get e-married to a chatroom person I can make it official.
Nikoli
LOL Kagetenshi.

Supercilious, so, when they chose the new e-Pope, was the chat log changed to white text?
Aku
QUOTE (Supercilious)
I am a web-priest for the catholics, so if you want to get e-married to a chatroom person I can make it official.

oh my, does this scare me... while i'm sure the intent was to be able to marry people seperated by things like war perhaps, and i don't know what sort of information is needed to do this, can anyone see the number of things that could happen to really make the church go "oops"? Like, them inadvertantly marrying a gay couple? heh...
Penta
Precisely why they don't allow it.smile.gif
Aku
you mean i've been had? sheesh, this new third shift job is taking more outa me than i thought... i suppose you're gonna tell me that that strange man in a black trenchcoat that gave me a lolly wasn't legit either huh?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Aku)
i suppose you're gonna tell me that that strange man in a black trenchcoat that gave me a lolly wasn't legit either huh?

No, that was just triple blind drug testing. Nothing to concern yourself with.
Shadow
QUOTE (golden-one)
dont forget : irc.dumpshock.com.

#bulldrek, and #shadowrun.

I use it to talk to people on DSF since my new job blocked AIM and MSN.
Aku
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 1 2005, 05:24 PM)
i suppose you're gonna tell me that that strange man in a black trenchcoat that gave me a lolly wasn't legit either huh?

No, that was just triple blind drug testing. Nothing to concern yourself with.

phew, i was getting worried that the pretty colors i was seeing were abnormal...

umm, yea, on irc, i prefer aim/yahoo more my chatting needs, which reminds me, i need to see if yahoo still has their webaccess version, work doesnt seem to like having things downloaded, silly people...
Sahandrian
We have games on IRC sometimes. I'd prefer to always use it, but some of my players don't have a program for it, so we tend towards AIM. During school, however, IRC becomes a bigger part of our games, since the college network tends to disagree with AIM.

Our channel is in my sig if anyone's interested. Never knew DS had IRC...
Tanka
There's a good list of clients here.

IRC is a mixed-bag for most. It's either something you play with every so often, or it's something that sucks you in completely.

I can safely say that mIRC (Win32) is a good choice for beginners and experts alike (though it lacks a lot of nice options, you can usually script them in yourself or find a script to do it for you).

If you're looking for something more advanced, X-Chat is shareware (there's a free version out there: SilverEx) and uses PERL instead of its own language for scripting purposes. (mIRC uses some bastardization of C++, Java and Basic. Very easy to learn, but utterly useless outside of mIRC.)

IRC is, IMO, the best way to do any multi-user chatting. Anybody can get an IRC client, and if you get the two I listed (as most people here are, I assume, on Windows) there aren't any threats of spyware/adware/malware. Also, unlike other chat programs, the people in control of the chat have the ability to remove users at will.

I myself don't use it as much, but I have SilverEx installed for if I do happen to need it for one reason or another.
ShadowDragon8685
You could also try OpenRPG, if you want to game online. It's advantages are an in-built die program, a map that can be set to squares, hexes, at any size, dashes or lines, invisi-grid, or no grid altogether. The map can accept any .jpg or .gif image as it's background, though you need a host (I reccomend www.photobucket.com ,) and it has a nodes system that's based on XML and easy to make nodes for.

The disadvantages are that, while having an amazing abstraction capability that makes it useful for everything, it's hard to code for. It's written in Python, and it is Open-Source, however.
draco aardvark
Sorry to dredge up an old topic...

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
You could also try OpenRPG, if you want to game online. It's advantages are an in-built die program

IRC's a pretty simple protocol, and the RFC's are easy to read.
Writing bots for it is actually pretty easy.
Here's my little dicebot, if anyone wants to use it. It's well commented enough that even if you don't know Perl, you should be able to customize it easily.
I'm taking suggestions for improvements biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012