Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick beginner magic question?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jacklind
Sorry if this has been asked before.

But is there any way of hiding your magic using a skill of some kind? A Slight-of-handy, stealthy kind of skill??? You ought to be able to cast spells while using stealth, right? But what if the target can see the spell caster?

Hope you can help. Thanks smile.gif

Jack
Spookymonster
Characters with astral perception can always see the spell for what it is on the Astral plane. Mundanes typically need to pass a perception test to notice spellcasting. However, depending on the spell, the resulting effects may or may not make it obvious that magic is being used. For example, it's usually pretty easy to tell when someone's been Fireballed. Conversely, it's can be fairly difficult for a mundane to detect when a Mob Mind spell is in effect.
Jrayjoker
I recall that the TN to notice spellcasting is 10-Force, but I may be extremely wrong. No books. Any book ninjas out there care to pipe in?
Jrayjoker
You can clean up an astral signature after the fact....
brennanhawkwood
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I recall that the TN to notice spellcasting is 10-Force, but I may be extremely wrong. No books. Any book ninjas out there care to pipe in?

Not a book ninja, but that does sound right by myb recollection.
Jrayjoker
A lot of TNs for magic tests are 10-essence, 10-force, 10-whatever. It isn't a stretch to apply it to this, but I may be wrong.

And of course that would be the base TN.
ElFenrir
Yes. Of course, an initiate that casts force 8 to 10 spells has SOME way of hiding this, so the TN would certainly be higher than a 2 with them. A non initiate who pops off a force 8 spell will be pretty blatant.
Mr.Cato
I recall: 4 + Magic - Force

..and I would allow stealth being used to cast spells in a stealthy way. Even specialized Steatlh (spellcasting)

As for TN for that... hmm.... maybe I would add (Stealth:open test - 4) to the target number.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Mr.Cato)
:open test -

It burns like hygene!!!!!!!!!!!
tisoz
4 + Magic Attribute - Force is the base TN.

Noticing spellcasting is on SR3.162.
Jrayjoker
Thanks book ninja!
biggrin.gif
jacklind
Thanks for the replies.

So no rules in any of the books besides what's on SR3 pg. 162.

I'll try talking to my GM about some kind of specialized Steatlh (spellcasting) skill.

Thanks again smile.gif

Herald of Verjigorm
If they don't notice you in the first place, they probably won't notice your spellcasting (unless it involves singing). Stay out of sight (normal stealth test) and manabolt them from the privacy of a nice oak tree shadow behind them.
Birdy
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
If they don't notice you in the first place, they probably won't notice your spellcasting (unless it involves singing). Stay out of sight (normal stealth test) and manabolt them from the privacy of a nice oak tree shadow behind them.

Before hiding your mage behind an Oak tree make sure he is

+ No Home Sapiens Nobilis

or

+ Properly castrated

Otherwise your magic support might be busy otherwise when you need him....

Birdy
DrJest
Hermetics are always going to have the edge over shamanics in covert spellcasting, if only because of the shamanic mask. It's no biggie at force 1 or 2, but by the time you reach force 5 to 6 your entire face gets covered with an image of your totem. Kind of noticeable smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012