Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gm / Player balance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Smiley
On another topic, this happened:

QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)

QUOTE (Frater Inominatus @ Jun 30 2005, 02:19 PM)
If a character has a force six increased reflexes +3 spell quickened using tattoo magic and spends twelve karma for the quickening does the spell have an effective dispelling TN of 24?

That is exactly what that means.

Don't forget that quickened spells are every bit as much of a liability as they are an asset. A lot of unexpected nastiness can come from being astrally active without astrally perceiving - especially if you and your spell aren't both masked.

Give them what they want, then make them pay for it.

And this developed:

QUOTE (Smiley)
Yes, give them something beneficial, then screw them over.

Give them...? I don't give them anything. It goes more like this:

Screw them over. Make them earn something beneficial. Screw them over again.

Where's the line between challenging the players and just throwing bullcrap at them?
The Stainless Steel Rat
I'm sure in your game everything is sunshine and rainbows. Mr. Johnson seals every deal with a hearty handshake and a genuine smile you can trust. Fixers just want to look out for you, and the word on the street is always the gospel truth. Buying contraband is so safe you can leave your guns at home, and the deals never EVER go badly. There's a real camaraderie in the shadow-world, and everyone helps each other out whenever they can, because hey brother, we are all we've got. And I'm sure your players never stifle a yawn as their benevolent NPC buddies look out for them and guide them through the story, protecting them from anything that might lead to dissapointment or *gasp* even injury….

Who the hell are you to start commenting on my GM style? You don't have any idea who I am or how I play. I simply pointed out that a quickened spell with a tgt#24 to dispell can be a hazard as well as a help, and you start coming down on me for bullying my players? Well guess what? Some of my NPC's are bullies because some people ARE bullies - I also have lazy people, crazy people, addicts, killers and whores - and even, now and then, someone who can be trusted (to a point). If you don't reflect that in your game then you're a crappy GM, and I guarantee you that my players would rather play in my world than yours.
Nikoli
Well, sadly the rules almost encourage things like this.
Certain astral entities almost hunger for these oportunities, when they find them, they make life hell for the victem. Now, that being the case, running into one should be akin to tripping over Hoffa's shoe while bending over to pluck a 4-leaf clover in the middle of the sidewalk that you planned on pressing between two winning lotto tickets in an original printing of a german grimorim that hasn't seen the light of day since washington was cutting his first teeth. In other words, it shouldn't happen, but it is an easy out for fast drama to let it happen as a gm.
Jrayjoker
All I was saying is that the players and the GM can seriously frag with each other in the rules and outside of them quite easily.

Yes, I am going to exploit the fact that they have an astrally active tatoo on them that is unmasked, and every ward they walk through is going to tell its maker what is coming. And everyone on the mage's side is going to ambush with superior firepower from cover.

That is how it is. Its not f-ing the players if it would resasonably happen per the rules.

And no, its not railroading if they die.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat @ Jun 30 2005, 04:15 PM)
I'm sure in your game everything is sunshine and rainbows. Mr. Johnson seals every deal with a hearty handshake and a genuine smile you can trust. Fixers just want to look out for you, and the word on the street is always the gospel truth. Buying contraband is so safe you can leave your guns at home, and the deals never EVER go badly. There's a real camaraderie in the shadow-world, and everyone helps each other out whenever they can, because hey brother, we are all we've got. And I'm sure your players never stifle a yawn as their benevolent NPC buddies look out for them and guide them through the story, protecting them from anything that might lead to dissapointment or *gasp* even injury…. 

Who the hell are you to start commenting on my GM style? You don't have any idea who I am or how I play. I simply pointed out that a quickened spell with a tgt#24 to dispell can be a hazard as well as a help, and you start coming down on me for bullying my players? Well guess what? Some of my NPC's are bullies because some people ARE bullies - I also have lazy people, crazy people, addicts, killers and whores - and even, now and then, someone who can be trusted (to a point). If you don't reflect that in your game then you're a crappy GM, and I guarantee you that my players would rather play in my world than yours.

To quote the drill sergeant from Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis." I don't think he was attacking, just disagreeing.
Smiley
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat @ Jun 30 2005, 04:15 PM)

Yes, that's correct. Every one of my players comes with a permanent super-luxury lifestyle and there is no boredom. There is only wine-drinking and steamy lovemaking for all eternity.

I'm not saying shit doesn't go wrong or that PCs should be babied. But setting out solely to screw them over doesn't sound like it's much fun for them, now does it?

[EDIT]
If you don't reflect that in your game then you're a crappy GM, and I guarantee you that my players would rather play in my world than yours.

Who the hell are you to start commenting on my GM style? You don't have any idea who I am or how I play... etc etc.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Wow. What a badass.

Sounds like an attack to me. A weak, sarcastic attack, but an attack none the less...
blakkie
QUOTE (Smiley @ Jun 30 2005, 03:11 PM)
Where's the line between challenging the players and just throwing bullcrap at them?

Well.....sometimes i'm a little on he mean side. A player in a D&D campaign recently took the Leadership feat. He has a tendancy to create traveling circus' lead by his character. Usually with a Druid, but this time the PC was a Cleric. This is an issue in D&D because all those extra actions have the potential to throw EC off more than most things.

Instead of just saying No to cohorts, they are in the rules afterall and not outside the range of management, i tend to use them to bring in "interesting" story elements. The first cohort i gave this player was a cleric caster with a studder, 5% chance of spell failure if the spell had a verbal component. The second one was named Wheezy. He was a moaning sad sack, and i bit on the weak side but all-in-all not a bad cohort at all. But the PC actually refused to accept him as a sidekick because the player thought i was out to screw him. Not true, but to see the player racked with parinoia was kinda fun.

This last cohort i rolled randomly for the stats using 4d6 on the Chargen program. She came out at about 45 build points. eek.gif But i'm honest, so i gave here some rudimentary equipment, a background, and a few skills. But before the next session the player sent an email stating that his PC wasn't going to accept any old cohort and then give a 15 or 20 item list of conditions that were acceptable.

So the gauntlet had been thrown, i'm not one to turn down a challenge. vegm.gif I looked through the list (wish i still had it, it was actually pretty funny to read) and immediately noticed that cataplexy wasn't on it. So i christened the cohort Kata Plexis (Greek root), and every time Init is rolled she has to save DC 15 Will or collapse for 2d12 rounds with whatever consequences that might bring, such as d6 damage if on a stone surface.

Also D&D PCs that are left for dead in unsacramonious manners tend to eventually come back to pay visits to the former friends as an some sort of intellegent templated undead. It is my little way of saying "thank you for putting all that min/max munchin effort into creating your character". cool.gif

P.S. Before roasting me for being a jerk, just remember I'll eventually get mine when it is that player's turn to GM. nyahnyah.gif
Supercilious
Stainless, you really turned what was not a flamefest into a flamefest so damn fast I find it almost funny.

I mean, this is not even two pages yet and everyone is at eachothers throats. Chill out, it was not an attack by my reading, your just mispercieved.

PS: I let my players do what they like, if they want to rough up grandmas for rent money, they will not get much opposition; if they want to steal the new Ares LASERMASTERBLASTER III with integral jetpacks then they will find stronger opposition. Scale the challenge to the job, not to the players.
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Smiley @ Jun 30 2005, 04:36 PM)
But setting out solely to screw them over doesn't sound like it's much fun for them, now does it?

They live in a world where everyone is trying to screw over everbody else JUST TO SURVIVE!! It is the world of the sinless in 6th world Seattle. It is shitty, and some people thrive, others get killed and eaten. Sometimes literally.

And I would also like to make a subtle but important distinction: I do not set out to screw over my players. Ever. My NPC's are trying to screw them over and kill them at every turn.
Supercilious
But why? No NPC wants to kill people for the purpose of just killing them? The gun-dealer wants repeat business. The BTL dealer wants an addict. The Johnson is the one that might screw them over, but that is the once-every-so-often occurance, not the general rule.

If I played your game, and I got screwed every single run I would start killing Johnson's and just keeping the "half up front." Not that I could spend it because the gun dealer wants to shoot me, and the street-doc would rather kill me for organs than install my new cyberware. O right, what cyberware, my CATco friend rigged it with a kink bomb for kicks.

Do you see what I mean by having the NPC's not be evil all the time? Maybe the street-doc will kill me for the new Deltaware level four move-by-wire system I have rigged up, but not for the basic-level datajack.
Smiley
I don't see EVERYONE trying to screw EVERYONE solely for survival at all. The 6th world MUST be livable since so many people are living and working without getting killed for their shoes and apartment space. Survival in the 6th world is not as hard as you make it sound. There are families, elementary schools, playgrounds, McHugh's, all that stuff. A good life isn't any farther out of reach than it is now.

Shadowrunners are in a profession where they're in harm's way 24/7 and getting knifed in the back is a common occurrence, granted. But even then it shouldn't be as dire as you portray it all the time. Otherwise, nobody would do it.
Supercilious
QUOTE (Smiley)
I don't see EVERYONE trying to screw EVERYONE solely for survival at all. The 6th world MUST be livable since so many people are living and working without getting killed for their shoes and apartment space. Survival in the 6th world is not as hard as you make it sound. There are families, elementary schools, playgrounds, McHugh's, all that stuff. A good life isn't any farther out of reach than it is now.

Shadowrunners are in a profession where they're in harm's way 24/7 and getting knifed in the back is a common occurrence, granted. But even then it shouldn't be as dire as you portray it all the time. Otherwise, nobody would do it.

Smiley, perhaps your world is a little gentle. The only playgrounds are corp playgrounds, or moss-covered sprawl playgrounds from better days. Schools are also corp-only. I doubt there is public education (Atleast there is not any in my game).
Smiley
I was taking it to a far extreme, but my point's the same.

(And there really is public education. I doubt it's any good, but it's there.)
BitBasher
QUOTE (Supercilious)
QUOTE (Smiley @ Jun 30 2005, 04:53 PM)

Smiley, perhaps your world is a little gentle. The only playgrounds are corp playgrounds, or moss-covered sprawl playgrounds from better days. Schools are also corp-only. I doubt there is public education (Atleast there is not any in my game).

Er, no that's not true, maybe in your world only.

There is still a fully working city infrastructure including publics schools and public works services that run just fine. There are still a bunch of privately owned businesses and similar. There are still piles of private middle class neighborhoods.

Numerous decent public parks are detailed in the various seattle sourcebooks, ect ect.

Really, Johnsons CAN'T screw people over all the time, for a case in point see how the shadow community views Aztechnology right now, virtually no runners will voluntarily run for them so it costs them a buttload more money to cover their tracks so they can hire people.

Street docs and many other shadow professionals rely on reputation. You canot just screw over your clients for long before you don't have any clients. Johnsons will make far more money in the long run if they have runners they can trust to get jobs done and vice versa.
Glyph
A GM is responsible for running all of the opposition to the players, and challenging them. Sometimes it is hard to walk the fine line between boring them and frustrating them. And just as there are immature players, there are immature GMs who abuse their power to mess with the players.

But enforcing an existing rule or drawback isn't "throwing crap at the players". If you walk around with high-Force quickened spells, then wards are going to be a big problem for you, and you will run into the occasional hassle from people assensing you. If you shoot up a residential neighborhood, Lone Star will show up. If you play an albino minotaur with a dikoted claymore, your character will be slightly more conspicuous and easy to remember than his buddy, samurai Bob, is.
Smiley
He gets the Distinctive Style flaw by default.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Johnsons will make far more money in the long run if they have runners they can trust to get jobs done and vice versa.

This is not true. It's true for organizations, sure, but the section in—was it Corporate Download?—makes it quite clear that single Johnsons for larger organizations can make livings both for themselves and for their employers screwing their runners over. An eighty-nine point something percent kill rate is nothing to laugh at. and that implies that he's done this with enough teams that they're generating those numbers of decimal places.

The trick is, most people aren't that Johnson. The chances of getting screwed over by a Johnson from a specific organization, or even by Johnsons in general, are fairly low. That doesn't mean people don't make good by doing so nearly every time.

~J
DocMortand
The trick with Johnsons are that Shadowrunners by default are expendable assets (whether they like it or not.) and it is easier to throw away expendable assets than to keep them around.

Generally a Johnson won't screw you if he's honest (it DOES happen occasionally) or if he needs you for multiple runs (Easier and cheaper to use the same people...also establishes a pattern for Lone Star!)

Frankly, in my game the Johnson has usually been pretty straightforward with the occasional backstab. But that's because I am who I am...I've already made them paranoid as it is, they don't need the extra layer of complexity. (That comes later, when problems old come home to roost)

But I never set out to kill my players - I set traps and situations which are deadly, yes...but they always have solutions which can result in no injury if they're clever, and death if they're stupid.
toturi
By Canon... (I'm sure the regulars on this board has heard this from me many many times, so say it with me my Dumpshocked brothers and sisters),
QUOTE (p92 SRComp)
The gamemaster's job is to work with the players to create the most satisfying gameplay for everyone.

If your players like being assf**ked, you assf**k them although it would be better refering them to a shrink.

Now if you like your world to be dark and populated by people who are trying to screw over everybody else just to survive, then recruit group of players who like that vision of the world.
tisoz
QUOTE (Smiley)

If the players are having fun. An empty table is a sure sign they are not.
Cynic project
If every deal goes south, then the player will either stop makign deals, prepare for everydeal or be stupid.

Deals should and go south from time to time. If you are a smart or mean GM you would make the deals go south at random, and in in some ways that the player wouldn't be think of.

So, the team is talking to Johnson when a go gang sees the players wearing the wrong colors...Look sometime the police are chaing soemthing else. or any number of other things.

Now, here is something that many bad GMs do. They make it so that not matter what the players do, they lose, or win. These things are bad on both sides. For diffrent reasons. Always lossing or winning takes away the point of either. Oh look we won.Oh look we lost.
hyzmarca
A GM must always follow a single golden rule when screwing over players. The GM is omniscient in the game world. The NPCs are not. God does not talk to his pupets. Information only flows to them from the PCs or other NPCs.

The GM should never play NPCs as if they have knowledge that they couldn't have. If he does then he ceases being a Game Master and becomes a Munchkin Master.

This means that quickened spells should set off wards, but targets should not install wards just because obtained a quicken spell.

As for Johnsons who screw Runners over, they should be few and far between. Most, if not all, Johnsons should be willing to screw over runners when it benefits them. However, it will rarely benefit them.

More importantly, if they do it too often they will get a rep for it. They will be unable to solicit runners because no one will be stupid enough to work for them. They will lose their careers and most likely their lives.

Independant Johnsons who screw over runners too often will not have to resources to escape all of the enemies they earn.

Corporate Johnsons who screw over runners too often will be stuck in a limbo. They can't work, will never get a promotion, will never get a transfer, and will have a hard time getting demoted. Most likely their replacements will turn them over to some angry runners to help build a good rep.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
More importantly, if they do it too often they will get a rep for it. They will be unable to solicit runners because no one will be stupid enough to work for them.  They will lose their careers and most likely their lives.

This doesn't happen with the good ones. Again, see discussion of the professional turncoat Johnson. He had no difficulty soliciting runners.

~J
sanctusmortis
In the example of the first example, yes he should get screwed over. A TN of 24 to stop it should mean he's lit up astrally like a bloody Christmas tree - and there are a lot of nasty spirits who could use that sort of power.

It is important to make sure that sort of behaviour has repercussions. There's no fun in a cakewalk. For example, one of my players has powergamed his character to his opwn admission. I've told him it's fine. I have plenty of ways to teach him the error of his ways, and he knows it. His character, although quite tooled up, is not infallible. Taking nightblindness knowing full well you were taking cybereyes with night vision, flare compensation et al may look like there's no way for your GM to get you back - but then that stray hit catches them, and the vision mode isn't reliable. So you balanced all those neat edges with the Hunted -4 flaw, eh? A level 4 enemy can wreak havoc, especially when your Resources mean you already had one.

And you can never fully rely on any equipment; illegality can lead to Lone Star problems, guns jam, little problems can destroy equipment (such as fire setting off ammo or explosives, melting electronics, etc...), and magical equipment is highly prized. Remember, the game is for fun, and the fun is the challenge. If every run was a milk run, would you keep playing? Conversely, if every job you got handed blew up in your face, would you?

But that's not to say that Stainless was wrong. Things SHOULD go wrong. Hell, the last campaign I played in, the Coyote Shaman was going out with a Ghoul and hadn't even thought to check, my entire apartment block was blown up by Sony, who put a bullet in the head of our ork leader, our Gator Shaman had passed out and found himself in an underground sewer temple infested with gators, our night elf was in hospital recovering from having been set on fire trying to get his revenge on me (vengeful, and the Sony thing was my Dark Secret coming to call)... and it was the best fun we'd ever had. That was ONE SESSION. The fun was getting ourselves out.

The balance is keeping interest for them while keeping your own as well.
tisoz
QUOTE (sanctusmortis)
In the example of the first example, yes he should get screwed over. A TN of 24 to stop it should mean he's lit up astrally like a bloody Christmas tree - and there are a lot of nasty spirits who could use that sort of power.

There has been a lot of debate over lighting up the astral like a Christmas tree, so I won't touch that with a 3 meter pole.

But what spirit can use the power of quickened tattoos?
sanctusmortis
What I am referring to is certain spirits flock to such displays of power to feed off/possess the user for their own ends. It'd attract Ghouls, for one; something that can do that must have mucho essence to feed on...
tisoz
I must have missed the essence munching, spirit-ghouls.

Most spirits I here about would flee such a powerful magician.

Also, if the tattoo is under a garment, is it even visible on the astral?
weblife
A spell is not clearly visible on the astral.

You have to be actively looking for it to notice it. There is a diceroll involved, which means you minimum has to spend an action to assence the target. - Meaning, you have to be aware that there IS a target, first to even look astrally, second to look in the correct direction.

If a character is using Stealth spell and Imp. Invisibility, and on top of that moves along the walls and covers behind stuff, then a percieving mage has to notice the person with a normal perception roll, modified for cover n' all.

Once you do that, and the poor sod can't mask his effective F24 spell, THEN you see it.

<Last minute add> And unfortunately the spell is reflected in your aura, so it shimmers outside your clothes too.
tisoz
QUOTE (weblife)
Once you do that, and the poor sod can't mask his effective F24 spell, THEN you see it.

Is it as though it is a Force 24 spell? The only place I remember it acting as other than a Force 6 spell is for purposes of dispelling.

QUOTE (weblife)
<Last minute add> And unfortunately the spell is reflected in your aura, so it shimmers outside your clothes too.

proof.gif Have you got a reference for this? If it is so, then tattoing a force 1 spell could be a cheap way to diguise your aura.
Smiley
QUOTE (weblife)
If a character is using Stealth spell and Imp. Invisibility, and on top of that moves along the walls and covers behind stuff, then a percieving mage has to notice the person with a normal perception roll, modified for cover n' all.

Don't forget masking and stuff.
blakkie
QUOTE (weblife)

Oh, oh. I think i see this thread turning down the dark path via "does stealth and inivisibility work in astral". wink.gif
Nikoli
Let's just say I hope they address that properly in SR4.
Astral Perception is far too powerful to be a freebie to full mages, imho.
Cancels Invis, Stealth in some cases, Ruthenium Polymers (not necessarily a bad thing), blindness to some degree, and allows access to a host of other information almost nobody else has.
blakkie
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Jul 1 2005, 08:29 AM)
Cancels Invis, Stealth in some cases, Ruthenium Polymers (not necessarily a bad thing), blindness to some degree, and allows access to a host of other information almost nobody else has.

Go there you should not young Skywalker. cool.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nikoli)

And vulnerabilities no one else has. If there's an opposing mage who goes astral first and spots you, they send a spirit/elemental over with a held action to hammer you the moment you go astral. As soon as they start perceiving, say hello to your Surprise test.

~J
toturi
No to mention the occasional astral lava.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (toturi)
No to mention the occasional astral lava.

Huh?
Smiley
You know... magically active magma. grinbig.gif
Method
Doah!! I HATE the astral lava....
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (weblife)

A spell is not clearly visible on the astral. You have to be actively looking for it to notice it. There is a diceroll involved, which means you minimum has to spend an action to assence the target.

Wrong.
From SR3, pg 171, under Astral Perception:
Spells, whether cast on the physical or astral plane, create a visible aura around the person they are cast upon.

If you are looking on the physical plane, it's much more difficult to notice a spell. On the astral plane unmasked spells are visible, and obvious.

Meaning, you have to be aware that there IS a target, first to even look astrally, second to look in the correct direction.

I call BS!!! If a mage wants to look to see if anyone is watching, he'll look with both his regular eyesight, and then astral perception.

Hell, most of the awakened characters in our games will use astral perception first, then physical to look for either hidden NPCs, security, targets, etc.

He/She *knows* there are things in astral that cannot be seen on the physical plane.

That is all the reason they need to perceive astrally.

To limit a player or not allow them to use astral perception simply because they didn't notice anything on the physcal plane is railroading, especially if that player uses astral perception frequently.

If they're perceiving astrally, it makes this point moot. Cover does provide modifers for astral perception (there is a table for this), however there is no requirement that a PC must notice something on the physical plane before using astral perception.

The quickened spell is still only force 6!!! It does not magically become force 24 when quickened with Karma. It is considered to be force 24 for the purpose of dispelling only.

Anyone assensing it (correctly, with 4 or more successes) will see that it is a Force 6 Spell. In all other respects, it is still just a Force 6 spell that's a complete bitch to dispell.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Smiley)

I'm not saying shit doesn't go wrong or that PCs should be babied. But setting out solely to screw them over doesn't sound like it's much fun for them, now does it?

Actually, that sounds like it would keep everyone on their toes.
weblife
Ok, the whole "mask as F24" deal is from my local GM houseruling that tattoe spells is harder to Mask. - Frag that. F6 for masking/noticing, F24 for dispelling/combatting wards pased.

BUT, a normal mundane mage that physically walks around while Astral Percepting is slightly distracted and is basically not paying attention. The +2 to ALL nonmagic actions are there to represent something.

But thats really not the point here. Anyone using smart magics to stealth up, will naturally try to mask as good as they can too. Secondly, they will try to stay the hell out of a hostile mages LOS.

The Astral Perception ability is NOT a quick win over stealth and spells, he still has to have LOS and secondly discover your aura, which may be partly obscured behind some crate or other physical cover.

If you are in the open, in LOS, unmasked, then yes said mage will spot you and alert his allies, or plain try to nuke you/fetch his spirits.

The Stealth skill applies to detecting people from the astral too.

Its true that an activated spell is seen as part of your aura, but that sentence also pretty clearly implies that to see the spell, he has to see the aura, which means he has to have clear LOS or make his perception check. Just like hiding from any other bozo.

The remark about the F1 tattoo making your aura harder to see went over my head. Or rather, I think Tisoz missed something. I certainly didn't imply that.
ShadowGhost
I agree with you that LOS applies on the astral to notice someone - That's why there's a table for astral perception. Using Astral Perception is a magical activity - so the +2 for performing a mundane activity wouldn't apply. However if running, walking quickly etc, I'd agree with a 'distraction' penalty of some kind.

Spells have their own aura, it is not part of your aura.

There's huge debates on how far your "aura" glows out from your body, and it will be the same for spell auras especially since area effect spells (which most illusions spells are) have a radius of Magic Attribute in meters.... so a force 6 spell would have a glow whose diameter is 12 meters - not that hard to spot.

Since all living things have an aura that glows on the astral planes, and spells have their own aura that glows, seeing a person with an active spell is easier - glowing person + glowing spell. Like you said, if they have cover (especially behind living things, crowd, forest, jungle etc) then it's difficult spot them. Standing in the open parking lot at night.... it's obvious.

BTW - "mundane mage" is an oxymoron. Mundane = not awakened. Mage = awakened.

langolas
For me, if the players play it strait and don't do anything stupid, (well TOO stupid) I don't usually have a deal go bad or screw the players. If they get upity and think that the last run made them much better, and abused any of the toys they got, well they got smacked down.

Of course, the one time they players did get screwed by the Johnson they got even. Hunted him down and did nasty things to his rep and employment. they didn't kill him, that would have been too quick wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Smiley)
You know... magically active magma. grinbig.gif

Don't forget the astrally active broken glass, which totally undermines Astral BJJ.
frostPDP
Disaster - While running First Run, another GM let a group I've played with and do a lot of GMming for (at least, for characters involved in their plot) capture the Cyberzombie. Virtually intact.

Quick math: Deltaware Move-By-Wire 4 has a cost of 16 million and S.I. of 6.5, giving you a grand total of 104 million. Even considering that Deltaware functions as hard-to-install Betaware [in my version, at least] and its damaged from both its quick, bullet-to-head suicide and the stress points naturally on MBW-4, there's tons and tons of cybernetics, including cyberarms worth a million, cyberskulls, torsos...Etc.

A balance in favor of the players in a riddiculous, happy-go-lucky world: Everyone retires to Bermuda.

A balance in favor of killing the players: Every corp somehow knows exactly everything and begins a small race to pop the runners.

A balance in favor of promoting a fun storyline - They use contacts to get a sweet deal on some huge cash and plane tickets to Australia, where they can lay low for a few months.

Some people will think this too light a punishment, some too heavy. I see it as somewhat comical - Sure, they get a damn lot of money for the research material and whatnot, but what good is it in a Manastorm?

It promotes great story development: Do the runners stay and hope that Renraku just gives it up? They could, but when the gangers near their hideouts suddenly start sporting missile launchers, things will get hot. Do they go to Australia? If so, its hard to spend that money in a Mana Storm (which I could always use more info on) and between the lack of natural resources, indigenous tribes, toxic magicians (mana storms, I presume, drive people insane) and occasional corporate/other hit squads, they'd syphon at least a small chunk of that cash in order to survive while at the same time giving them a good, measured challenge. They win? They get ahead. They lose? K.I.A.

And then what happens if they choose Africa or another country, like Germany? (One player considered Japan. Renraku + Japan = You die.) What happens when they decide to return?

It might be a light reprieve, but it DOES force them into a new situation which is risky, perhaps more risky than any Red Samurai team in their home turf.
Angelone
Awakened lava pg. 92-93 and 226 SoE. Nasty stuff.
toturi
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Quick math: Deltaware Move-By-Wire 4 has a cost of 16 million and S.I. of 6.5, giving you a grand total of 104 million. Even considering that Deltaware functions as hard-to-install Betaware [in my version, at least] and its damaged from both its quick, bullet-to-head suicide and the stress points naturally on MBW-4, there's tons and tons of cybernetics, including cyberarms worth a million, cyberskulls, torsos...Etc.

Need to half that. Only 8, selling on the street only gets you at best half the real value.

You forgot one more "balance". Natural balance - the corp does what the corp does normally, the runners do what runners do, the world goes round.
frostPDP
Natural balance is a backdrop for the story. After all, I'm of the belief that most corps wouldn't bother with such expensive cyberware creations as Cyberzombies, as their usefullness in combat is moderate and they have virtually no other use. Not to mention the short-livedness of them. So the game itself has a little lack of natural balance, as reality does.

But as for the corp doing what it normally does, yeah, its going to do that. The runners? Same. But "normal" is hardly normal as "Lets go to the deli and get some meat." Its more like "crap, crap, crap we're targets!"
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Angelone)
Awakened lava pg. 92-93 and 226 SoE. Nasty stuff.

Ah, thanks. Don't have that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012