Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random Contact Generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyxll
I have put together a random contact generator script for the Omnihedron. I was wondering if anyone could help me test it ... and tell me what I am lacking. I didn't put in skills or gear because I didn't think it was really relevant. These are not meant to be arch types... just contacts. download from here You need to extract the zip file into the lists folder.

-Nyxll
ShadowDragon8685
Looks nice, but vauge. It would be helpful if it did more than randomly generate a person's vaugest outline.
Nyxll
That is why I am asking what type of information would be required?

Corp affiliation?
position held?
family?

What other details would help?
ShadowDragon8685
Gods, fuck. I just spent awhile writing up a list of affilitations, and then I hit the wrong key and killed the window.

Okay, in brief: A random menu of affiliations, including mega-corps like Renraku, Nova, Aztechnology, Lone Star, as well as smaller local players like Federated Boeing, and a generic "Small Corp" listing would be good. But those aren't the only affiliations, you should have a nice chunk for Indepedant (regular fixers, and other Runners,) as well as the big gang players, a single listing for "street gang" and "Go gang", as well as maybe a 5% each for "UCAS Local Government" and "UCAS Federal Government."

Alternatively, you might make a treasure-like list of what each contact can do for the player, and what they would require from them, although most DMs can come up with it based on that affiliations list. A street ganger is unlikely to be able to get you a SIN, while a contact in the UCAS Federal Government would probably have a hard time finding you weapons and safehouses. (At least, safehouses that don't ask questions. smile.gif )
Nyxll
Hey SD,
I added a bunch of affiliations, resources that they will have available and names.

If you have more improvements, let me know. (the resources are random) putting logic into lists is not very efficient in this framework... I might move this to something online. The advantage this this, is that you can take it anywhere with you.

The link is the same as before ... just extract overtop.
ShadowDragon8685
I think it either needs some logic, efficient or not, or you need to cut down on the number of personalities generated.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing an immoral-yet-kind megalomaniacal optimist... smile.gif

Also, (since I assume it's giving the person's given name, not street name or aliases,) I find an ork named Grady Fizwell, born in China, to be extremely odd. Might I suggest chopping down the list of locations to places relavent to seattle?

Especially since he is a Shaman of Stag, which is an African animal, not an East Asian animal.

Maybe, have a lot of potential areas in Seattle, then list other north american nations, and maybe 1%s for a few other continents?
ShadowDragon8685
By the way, is there a mod for that program to add Shadowrun style TN rolling?
Nyxll
It is one of the options. Go under the dice menu, click add dice (f6)
just add the number of dice ... (useful for just making dice for combat pools etc) and
move the rolltype to open. (if you want it so that 6!=7 you can select the modified open) Type in the label and your are set.

I will reduce the number of personality traits. If I am going to put in logic, I will have to take it to the web, or I will reduce the locations.

Thanks for the feedback
Nyxll
Files updated again, I reduce the personality traits to 1, made most of the locations in seattle, and added some randomness for more NA/world.
Slacker
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing an immoral-yet-kind megalomaniacal optimist... smile.gif

Actually, that describes me pretty well. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012