Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [LooseAlliances] Ummm
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
moosegod
I didn't like this book as much. It seemed less... inspired. I know it is probably unfair to compare it to some of the earlier books. I hope this is not where I see Shadowrun change too much. We have lots of information on extremely low level groups, like the activists. And we have a group who just happens to have kept its stuff from the first Crash, so they can repair everything too quickly for the next.

Folks, I'm worried. I have been talking to people about other FASA-Wizkids lines and the news isn't... positive.
bit_buckethead
QUOTE (moosegod)
Folks, I'm worried.  I have been talking to people about other FASA-Wizkids lines and the news isn't... positive.

Ok, what have you heard? Don't leave us hanging. I know that I have been monitoring the sale of copies of Loose Alliances on eBay, and it doesn't seem to be moving too well. I hope that this is because the PDF has been selling well.
Pistons
Good heavens, Loose Alliances was just released in print. Of course it's not going to move very well; it's widely available.

I'm not sure what you've been hearing about WizKids in particular, but I certainly hope this isn't going to degenerate into fear-mongering.
Synner
QUOTE (moosegod @ Jul 12 2005, 05:11 PM)
Folks, I'm worried.  I have been talking to people about other FASA-Wizkids lines and the news isn't... positive.

Care to clarify? Particularly since FanPro and Wizkids are two unrelated entities and the only two FASA-Wizkids lines which might be relevant are the SR RPG and Classic Battletech lines... even the future SR novel line belongs to Wizkids and not FanPro.
hermit
Maybe he's referring to MW-Dark Ages?
Synner
Given the absence of followups I think we should safely file this one under fear-mongering.
fistandantilus4.0
well for what it's worth I finally got my copy. I did have to have it specially ordered, but that's just because no one seems to play SR in Utah. Big suprise that.
JackDaddy
QUOTE (bit_buckethead)
QUOTE (moosegod)

Ok, what have you heard? Don't leave us hanging. I know that I have been monitoring the sale of copies of Loose Alliances on eBay, and it doesn't seem to be moving too well. I hope that this is because the PDF has been selling well.

Its also a lame duck Product. sure it will be nice to have when V.4 comes out, but not nessacary. It will also be out-dated.
I question the wisdom of producing for a lame duck system. [not to start a debate, I'm sure this exact issue has MP of discussions else where]

Critias
The defense is because it's all fluff, no numbers, it'll still be perfectly useable for SR4, despite the changes to the die mechanic, etc. The "five year gap in background between editions" just sort of gets glossed over.
Synner
No glossing over. The status quo and agendas for the vast majority of the groups mentioned in Loose Alliances will be unchanged. Almost all will be affected by developments in System Failure, like most of the Sixth World, but most will not be touched to the point of invalidating any material presented in this book.
Snow_Fox
Fear mongering? Fear mongering? There's something to be afraid of?
AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

I had some free time today to really read htrough this book and I liked it. I've skimmed through it in the past and read in detail some bits that caught my attention, but I finally had the time to go cover to cover.

I liked the fact the detaisl were more on groups, rumors and news rather than number crunching. It makes it a much better playing aid.
hermit
Actually, exactly the low-level nature of some groups described makes them usable.You can always just throw in those groups, either as a GM (be they Johnsons, targets, or just interests the players meet coincidentally) as well as for players, as most of these groups actually are both reasonably accessible and low-level enough to talk to them. You can just log onto DIVE servers or policlub servers, and you tend to encounter activist groups pretty often in an SR sprawl, too (yes, you can go to a local Renraku office too, but don't expect to come into contact with the corp's movers and shakers as described in Corp Download that way).
nick012000
Sure you can. You just need to make sure your local office is one of their main branches, and shoot your way through their security when they stop by. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012