Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In game therapy?!?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Stainless Steel Rat
In the current game I am running, 3 separate PC's (played by two different players) have sought psychiatric help. I admit I've had a good time toying around with likely advances in the field due to the possibilites of Magic and 'ware, but the actuality of RPing a pschotherapy session was a little wierd....

So, the topic I would like to see here is:

What off the wall, unexpected things have your PC's demanded of you? and specifically, has anyone else had to RP the future of Psychotherapy?
ShadowDragon8685
I figure that good psychiatric help in the 2060s involves the use of a form of Psychotropic IC.
Edward
Given the high availability rating of the therapeutic ASIST units I believe they would not be common in regular therapy.

I doubt core theories will have changed much, drugs will have advanced to become more effective with les side effects and baseline sim sense allows situations to be created for therapy that would be difficult to create in other ways.

Edward
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat @ Jul 12 2005, 03:10 PM)
What off the wall, unexpected things have your PC's demanded of you? and specifically, has anyone else had to RP the future of Psychotherapy?

One of our PC's contracted crabs and asked what would happen if he sprayed a can of raid on his genitals. He wanted me to tell him what happens.

Rather than waste time researching what would actually happen, I just told him his dick fell off. After that he sought out counseling, but then decided it'd be easier to purchase a Mr. Studd.
Backgammon
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Rather than waste time researching what would actually happen, I just told him his dick fell off. After that he sought out counseling, but then decided it'd be easier to purchase a Mr. Studd.

HAHAHAHAH

*Looks at can of Raid, looks at crotch, looks at can again*
PSHHHHHHT
*plop*
"AAAAAAAHHHHH!!"
Solstice
Your friendly public (or is that pubic?) service announcement:

crabs
ElFenrir
It's a good thing I was awake with my coffee when i clicked on that link. It's not every day you get educated on crabs upon waking up rotfl.gif

fistandantilus4.0
indifferent.gif

There just aren't words for it
................................................................................
Apathy
One of our PC's contracted crabs and asked what would happen if he sprayed a can of raid on his genitals. He wanted me to tell him what happens.

When I was in the army, one of my stupid privates sprayed Raid all over himself to keep the mosquitos away. A couple hours later he went into convulsions and had to be med-evac'd to the hospital, where they treated him for blood poisoning.

[edit] You might say he was an Army [with an IQ] of One.
Nikoli
Crabs are like the easiest thing in the game to get rid of. Healthy Glow and sterilize and you're done, the little buggers are dead and their eggs fell off with the dead skin.
Tziluthi
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Jul 13 2005, 08:40 AM)
Rather than waste time researching what would actually happen, I just told him his dick fell off.  After that he sought out counseling, but then decided it'd be easier to purchase a Mr. Studd.

Obviously it would have been safer is he'd just burnt all the hair off. biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Anyway, strangest requests from players.
A 1.01 essence sammie asking for a house rule on awakening.
Me asking for a call on using my bike as a projectile weapon (Harley D. & The Marlboro man style) against some go-gangers parked bikes.
One player once asked me if she could mount PAC's at 45 degree angles off centerline from her van so she could take out someone that tried to pass her in traffic. Mind you, this isn't for gangers trying to get around for an attack run, just normal traffic, she had isues with people passing her on the road in general. Of course I said "If you really want to, sure. But it'll cost ya."
Fix-it
QUOTE (Solstice)
Your friendly public (or is that pubic?) service announcement:

crabs

At first I thought that URL read "Asshat.org"

and my first reaction was "Damn! I wanted that webaddress."

Anyway, back on topic...

I have many players that need psychotherapy. Mostly the wall-to-wall kind.
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Nikoli)
One player once asked me if she could mount PAC's at 45 degree angles off centerline from her van so she could take out someone that tried to pass her in traffic. Mind you, this isn't for gangers trying to get around for an attack run, just normal traffic, she had isues with people passing her on the road in general.

Hah! That's great... Did you recommend therapy?
Nikoli
No, just ammunition when the Star took offense
The Stainless Steel Rat
Another new one:

Last night one of my PCs (one of the ones who sought therapy, this one for depression) decided to join a cult.

I put this cult together as a pretty tough magical threat who has apparently kidnapped (and possibly brainwashed) a friendly NPC. When the PC in question went looking for her they tried their standard pitch on her. Her response?

"Ultimate self understanding and everlasting inner peace? That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for!"

The team is no closer to rescuing the NPC in question, but now one of them has a day job washing dishes and trimming hedges at the "Temple".
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Jul 13 2005, 08:40 AM)
Rather than waste time researching what would actually happen, I just told him his dick fell off.  After that he sought out counseling, but then decided it'd be easier to purchase a Mr. Studd.

Obviously it would have been safer is he'd just burnt all the hair off. biggrin.gif

No, no, no. To get rid of crabs you shave have your pubic hair then soak the other half in gasoline and light it on fire. As the crabs run from the burning area to the deforested one, you stab them with an ice pick using all of your strength. If you are a troll, a minigun can be substituted.

Remember, all psycological problems can be traced back to the fact that the patient wants to have sex with his or her mother.
Apathy
Ultimate self understanding and everlasting inner peace

I can't wait to hear how he reacts when they invest him with the ant spirit. Still he'll have to admit that they didn't lie - insects aren't plagued with self doubt or depression.
Taran
Once upon a time, the amnesiac, the fox shifter, and the street sam (by far the most stable of the three) walked into a Universal Brotherhood facility. All the open meditation groups were done for the day, but the UB rep at the door arranged for the party to meet with a ten-year-old who'd been with the group since birth. He then spent a very merry few minutes talking with them about their lives, why they live in the shadows, their favorite foods, things like that. His ultimate goal seemed to be to get them to admit that they were unhappy as shadowrunners, but he didn't get anywhere with that.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Apathy)
Ultimate self understanding and everlasting inner peace

I can't wait to hear how he reacts when they invest him with the ant spirit. Still he'll have to admit that they didn't lie - insects aren't plagued with self doubt or depression.

But what if it is really an Ancestor cult and he just gets nagged by an aunt spirit?
Supercilious
I always wish I had been around when UB was still a current metaplot, so I could run some people through it. Alas my current group has no time for one-time altnerate universe campaigns... Bastards...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
No, no, no. To get rid of crabs you shave have your pubic hair then soak the other half in gasoline and light it on fire. As the crabs run from the burning area to the deforested one, you stab them with an ice pick using all of your strength. If you are a troll, a minigun can be substituted.

err, trolls and crabs, why do that make me think of gigantic fleas?
Edward
Where dose a runner go to find a head shirker anyway. Psychiatry only works with honesty and trust witch is difficult when the causes of stress in your life are highly illegal activities and your lack of a sin means doctor patient confidentiality may not apply, and that’s if the doctor you found willing to take a sinless patient is honest enough not to sell your location to the people you say your afraid of.

Edward
Herald of Verjigorm
Gross Point Blank for an example of the assassin with a psychiatrist.
Lady Door
That... and The Sopranos.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Plan B)
That... and The Sopranos.

it's all those damn duck's fault!
Club
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
err, trolls and crabs, why do that make me think of gigantic fleas?

I guess that PANA and PAE missed some of the nastier awakened species. Some infestations are hard enough to kill now, but add in imunity to poisions and you have a problem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012