Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Commando's and 4th Edition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kryton
I know many of you have seen this before. But I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to revisit this issue. As pretty much 99.9999% of the dumpshockers know 4th edition is coming out. Some of you are in high school (under 18), but for those of you who are 18+ and live near or have a game store in a fairly accessible area near your home, the Commando's need your help.

As a member of the Commando's we run games at Conventions and local stores for Classic Battletech and Shadowrun primarily. For those interested in running Shadowrun the fourth edition would be a great way to really learn the system and get credit for running demos. Basically all we do is run a game at a local store and or convention once every two months or six times a year. The focus being trying to bring new players into the Shadowrun system. With fourth edition coming out you could earn credit for running demo games and missions.

Since Fanpro has a reduced marketing budget you can help promote Shadowrun in your local area. The only stipulation is that you have to be 18+ years of age, and be able to run combined six games a year at your local store, convention or both. You can run missions, homebrewed games, or simply demos. You’re compensated with free products. If you don't have the time in your schedule then this isn't for you. If you’re in college, or have some free time this could be an excellent way to run games, meet new people, and promote the new system. (Of course if you don't like the new system I wouldn't suggest becoming a Commando as we support primarily the new products.)

If you want to help get the word out we could use your help. Go to www.commandohq.com for details on how you can join. (All you need to do is write a small introductory game showing you know how the world works. It doesn’t have to be a 30 page game maybe five pages tops. Just enough to get the game down with stats ect.)
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Hm, this, I could be interested in.
Nikoli
I'm checking this out as I type this entry...
Critias
Can we run games for "classic Shadowrun" and stick to the SR3 rules?
Kagetenshi
You can run 'em, but something tells me FanPro's not about to sponsor you in any way for doing so.

~J
kryton
You probably couldn't. The reason being that the third edition to my knowledge won't be printed anymore. Everything is moving to the fourth edition. That's not saying that you have to run 4th ed. as soon as it comes out but after that probably the next year or so there's going to most likely be a phasing out of 3rd. Edition. I've got a convention at the end of July I'll be running 3rd edition. It's just a understanding that as the year progresses I'll be running more and more 4th ed. demo games ect. So the answer is Yes and No. After mid year 2006 I'm betting all games will be 4th editon across the board.
Solstice
QUOTE (kryton @ Jul 13 2005, 12:48 PM)
(All you need to do is write a small introductory game showing you know how the world works. It doesn’t have to be a 30 page game maybe five pages tops. Just enough to get the game down with stats ect.)

Would you explain this further? I mean we don't know all the much about SR4 atm. I'm pretty well versed in the world, story arcs and SR3 rules/system but I won't know much about SR4 until it's released.
the_dunner
Just write a short adventure for whatever version of the rules you know. The point here isn't to prove that you're a Zen Master of the rules system. The point is to show that you're willing to make a commitment to running Shadowrun Demos.
kryton
As of right now all applications probably should be based on all 3rd ed. material. 4th ed. won't be out till Gencon and then the stores will follows something like two to four weeks later. So pretty much for the next maybe two to four months applications can be submitted with all relevant 3rd. edition knowledge. I know probably less about 4th edition than you do so don't worry. The commando's are just as much in the dark as you are regarding 4th edition. Pretty much everything I'm righting for my personal and promotional games is based on 2064/2063 3rd edition. Again though you don't have to know the complete history of the game, or break down major events year by year. All you really need is a good understanding of how the world works and to be able to write a small adventure showing you know the "scope" and basic mechanics of the game. Like I said don't sweat the 4th ed. stuff. We pretty much haven't been given any information on 4th ed. When it comes out in stores they're will be a transition period but that's going to take a few months. Also don't forget that the full book list will take about a year to come out. What I'm going to be focusing on will be intro games looking at showing folks how to play the game. That's going to be my focus post release 4th edition.
kryton
Sorry Dunner to rehash what you wrote. It took me a minute to write my response...... rotate.gif
Supercilious
Yet once more, I wish I was 18.
kryton
If your under 18....Dude you've got way to much havok to cause in your local neighborhood. What are you doing on Dumpshock....Chicks don't hang out on Dumpshock....At least not the ones someone under 18 .....!@%.....Yeah know I shouldn't be contributing to the deliquency of minors......
Supercilious
My lady friend is currently occupied with a family gathering, 1.5 hours from now I will no longer be perusing dumpshock, I will instead be...

Busy.
Aku
couple quick questions, before i head over to the site to do some more digging.

1) does it have to be an already SR friendly/commando's gaming store? Theres a store in Levale, Md, about 30 minutes from me, but I havent visited it yet (just saw it today actually) so i don't know what they carry, or if there's even a commando in this area (i think i checked the site before, and the only commando listed in Md was towards baltimore/DC area.

2)as a general rule, what sort of mix are you expected to have of runs? since if, say it's a demo, you'd figure it would be different people showing up, is a new run expected everytime, even if you run them for years? are 3-4 different runs you rotate, showcasing different elements acceptable?
the_dunner
1) Talk to the manager. If they're willing to let you run games there, it's perfect.

2) That's entirely your prerogative.
kryton
1. Ussually if a store has open gaming space you can run. The idea is even if they don't carry the books if you get enough folks interested they'll start carrying more of a regular supply. It just comes down to sales. If you can convince the manager that promoting the game for free will increase sales, most store owners will agree. I've had a couple of stores that now stock more regularly because of my demos.

2. Don't forget too you have the option to run Shadowrun Missions at a store as well. Ussually the only requirement for credit is that you run at a store and you have an open policy to let anyone who wants to join play. Other than that you can run what ever floats your boat. Missions, Demos', or even homebrew games. The only thing you have to remember is that your a represenative of Fanpro so you have to have some professionalism. We kind of discourage bad mouthing other systems or gamers ect. Ultimately it's your demo and your representing Fanpro.
Nikoli
Any taboo themes for homebrew games? I have a tendency to write dark plots, and have on occaision disturbed a player or two even on DSF.
kryton
Primarily it's up to you as long as it doesn't interfere too much with continuity and the effects of the events aren't world changing. Something like blowing up Aztechnology or Killing Lofty ect. Also beware of your audience. If you have some kids in your game just make sure it's PG material. I have a Pimp PC I give out when the table is 18+....I bought three level II contacts....ie his ho's. So that wouldn't be suitable for some audiences. Dark is good, overly explicit (sexually, violence ect.) could piss off parents. So the skinny is keep your audience in mind. Also alot of times players might be new so subplots within SR will go over they're head's, just keep your audience in mind.
Nikoli
Thanks
Nikoli
Can someone PM me a link to the form you need to print out and fill out for SR commandos? I went to the link posted in the thread from work, but our rules are funny about printing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012