Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metahuman/Spirit hybrids
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hyzmarca
The Missing Blood adventure in the UB sourcebook included a human/insect hybrid baby. It was killed off in the canon course of the module, however it would be old enough to go running in 2070. A half-fly Otaku would make a cool contact.

There is always the possibility that the baby inspired some rather unethical experiments on the part of independant corrupt magicians or megacorp funded magical research teams.

What would the strengths and weaknesses of a Spirit/Human NPC be and how many ways could one go about creating one.

Investing a willing pregnant host is the canon example but surely there must be others. How about the offspring of a Good Merge and a metahuman or two Good Merges?

Could a magician playing around with some powerful Tantric rituals and comely Ally accidently create some little baby spirits?

How about Shedim possessed bodies with viable reproductive systems?

Ancient History
The product of spirits and metahumans aren't unknown. In Earthdawn, there was a particular sub-race of orks and humans known as the jubruq spawned by Jinari spirits and human or ork females. In history, there are a number of mythological encounters between spirits/gods/faeries/etc. which resulted in a child (or children, as the case may be). Best modern example would be the Emperor of Japan.

Thais might be an extreme example.

Typically, such beings possess an innate affinity for magic, and are typically magicians. Many possess at least one unusual feature derived from their spirit parent, and some possess innate abilities reflecting their sire (or dam, as the case may be). Most such unions are sterile, although some spawn lineages (the most powerful traits tend to be recessive, although certain aspects of appearence might be dominant).
Cain
How about Shedim possessed bodies with viable reproductive systems?

Shedim don't actually cause any changes to their host bodies, so I'd imagine that the child would be born normally. It'd have to be the body of a projecting magician, however; and the shedim would have to be up on the care of a metahuman body, but it could work.
fistandantilus4.0
how 'bout a Master Shedim, since they regenerate. Should make taking care of it a little easier. ANd all that flesh eating should keep junior well fed.

Sounds just plain wrong though.
hyzmarca
It is possible to get viable reproductive cells from a fresh corpse. The body doesn't just die all at once. If the body is fresh enough it should have usable sperm or eggs. Correct me if I am wrong, but Shedim possession prevents decomposation, meaning that these cells would remain usable. It is then a simple matter of getting the Shedim to have sex, or extract the cells and perform the fertilization in a lab.

Also, it is possible for a fetus to survive for a sort time after its mother has died. Some people might be curious as to the results of a pregnant corpse being inhabitated by a Shedim. As long as the method of murder leaves the fetus unharmed and all of the important internal organs intact, it should be possible. Is it possible for a Shedim to inhabit a body that it physically alive because of life support but brain dead?

However, the horror doesn't come from Shedim or insects. It comes when the GM asks if your mage wore a condom when he had sex with his Dikoted AVS Ally Spirit.

Dependants can be a crippling flaw if used properly.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Is it possible for a Shedim to inhabit a body that it physically alive because of life support but brain dead?

I don't think so. A shedim can possess the body of a mage that is astrally projecting, but only becuase the mage's spirit is already gone. The spirit would have had to have left the body first, as Shedim can't take over a body, they can just take what's lying around only.
Edward
In the 6th world there would have to be a new term “spirit death” the point at witch the arua senses to be that of a living person. If a body can be sustained buy technology past this point (In the absence of data your GM will have to decide) then a shedim would be able to make use of it.

Edward
Kremlin KOA
About a week... that is the limit of physically alive but spirit dead (Cybertechnology)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Edward)
In the 6th world there would have to be a new term “spirit death” the point at witch the arua senses to be that of a living person. If a body can be sustained buy technology past this point (In the absence of data your GM will have to decide) then a shedim would be able to make use of it.

Edward

or better yet, in the 6th world we will not see crasy stuff like family fighting among each other about the life support of a member. for one thing they can use mind reading spells or cyberterminals to allow the person to express their will, and for the other, the questions of spirits vs body will be long gone (sadly in the favor of the church i fear)...
Edward
You really think there wont be family shit fights about life support.

Somebody who was in a coma would likely not be able to communicate using a datajack of mind link spell (depending on the type of coma, some don’t allow thought but still have chance of recovery) .

And chance of recovery is often not the most important consideration to those that want them kept alive. It comes down to an emotional inability to let go, the cost of care and who gets what when they are legally dead. As well as several other factors, anybody in a position to have to make the decision in the 6th world is incredibly wealthy (public medical facilities wont be paying)so these concerns will apply. Magical scans can be blocked due to care for the patients privacy. The reliability of data jacks in the case of brain damage can be called into question. It will get at least as messy as it dose today.

Edward
weblife
Not to mention flat out bribery. Hoaxers who pretend to read the patients wishes, but in reality they simply favor the party who pays them the most.

And, what do you do if the patient is delirious? - You read his mind, but it might be all broken up and disjointed. How can you hold any legal decisions to that?

AFAIK you have to be at full use of your mental faculties to be allowed to make a last will. Being "read" magically isn't the equivalent.
hyzmarca
There is also the matter of extradinary magical measures. Say I am ubber-rich corporate bigwig A. My Girlfriend B is severly injured in a Thunderbird crash. B's body is kept alive by machines but her spirit is gone.

I spend an extradornary sum getting a group of Ancestor Shamen to track her spirit down, summon her, and set her Free. Free Spirit B then takes possession of her old body and we live happily ever after together.
hobgoblin
ugh, what an idea...

and it looks like i pulled yet another foot-in-mouth post...
or maybe this time it was a troll-in-mouth silly.gif
Ancient History
First, you'd have to find an ancestor shaman that was a relation. Two, if her body is alive, she probably ain't dead enough yet to qualify. Three, it wouldn't be the same person.

Now, if you clone her and bind her ghost to the body with cybermantic magic, that's more like it.
hobgoblin
never mind...
hyzmarca
THank you, AH. I always forget about ghosts. That makes it even creepier.
weblife
I'm going to be characterizing, but my bet is that corp. bigwig A, just want the body and a close proximity to what B used to be. Details are for the poor to worry about. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012