Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should blance tail helping biking?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cynic project
Should having the balancing cyber help you when riding a bike? Note in the rule they don't. I at least don't think they do.
tisoz
If riding a bike involves balance, it does.
Kremlin KOA
Bike riding has nothing to do with balance....

It's not like it involves a vehicle which moves on two wheels in a line, using it's velocity to provide enough inertia to keep the thing stabilized or anything like that nyahnyah.gif

I could see something like that being helped with balance cyber... but not bike riding. nyahnyah.gif
mmu1
By the rules, it shouldn't, just like Wired Reflexes for some reason stop working while you're driving - it's not what it was designed for.

Personally, I could see allowing the bonus for making crash tests while biking, but not for every Bike test... It's not a VCR, it only uses .5 Essence, and it provides bonuses to a lot of other skills.
Kagetenshi
Speaking as a fairly experienced, if not overly athletic, bicyclist:

I'd say no. Well, maybe a little, I'm not sure how I'd reflect it in the rules, but not much at all. Kremlin was somewhat correct if you remove the sarcasm—bicycling has very little to do with balance beyond the very early learning stages. Maybe +2 dice on crash tests or something?

~J
Nikoli
Maybe for certain tricks, like sliding down a rail or driving along a cable.
hyzmarca
There are two very different activities that are refered to as biking. One of them involves a two-wheeled pedal-powered vehicle. The other involves a similary two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by an internal combustion engine.

I would presume that a balance tail would comtribute more to the later than to the former, because of the velocities involved. At higher velocities, the ability to shift one's weight properly greatly enhances one's control of a motorcycle.
mmu1
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 17 2005, 06:58 PM)
There are two very different activities that are refered to as biking.  One of them involves a two-wheeled pedal-powered vehicle. The other involves a similary two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by an internal combustion engine.

I would presume that a balance tail would comtribute more to the later than to the former, because of the velocities involved. At higher velocities, the ability to shift one's weight properly greatly enhances one's control of a motorcycle.

There are many things helped by having better balance, realistically speaking...

I'm certain that, for example, unarmed combat is one of them - but somehow I think no one is going to say that it's reasonable to apply a -2 TN balance tail mod while swordfighting.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Jul 17 2005, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 17 2005, 06:58 PM)
There are two very different activities that are refered to as biking.  One of them involves a two-wheeled pedal-powered vehicle. The other involves a similary two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by an internal combustion engine.

There are many things helped by having better balance, realistically speaking...

I'm certain that, for example, unarmed combat is one of them - but somehow I think no one is going to say that it's reasonable to apply a -2 TN balance tail mod while swordfighting.

No, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to apply a -2 against penalties for swordfighting on uneven ground.

Edit:(Or it would if fighting on uneven ground gave a TN penality greater than 1. The principal works for ranged combat while moving on difficult ground, as well)
Edward
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There are two very different activities that are refered to as biking. One of them involves a two-wheeled pedal-powered vehicle. The other involves a similary two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by an internal combustion engine.

I haven’t dome much motorbike riding but in my younger days my 10 speed peddle powered bike was my freedom and I can categorically stat that the faster you go on one of those the easier it is to balance. Regardless of the obstacles in your path.

My limited experience with motorbikes would confirm this but I never got above about 30KM/h so I guess it could change above that speed but I don’t think so.

Edward
hyzmarca
It wouldnt do much, if anything, for balance on straight roads. But, it would make manuvering in tight terrain slightly easier. It would allow one to take sharper turns at higher speed with less risk.

I say let the balance tail reduce terrain modifiers by 1 for anyting more difficult than normal terrain. Do the same for ranged and melee combat on difficult terrain.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Edward)
I can categorically stat that the faster you go on one of those the easier it is to balance. Regardless of the obstacles in your path.

Yep. Welcome to the wild world of angular momentum.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012