Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the pay range in your campaign?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Velocity
I know this question's been asked a hundred times on Dumpshock, but I'm curious regardless.

I'm just wondering how many people aim for "street" campaigns (where characters are glorified thugs who basically work for beer money) versus grandiose 'heist-movie' campaigns, where days or even weeks of planning go into each job and the payout is a king's ransom.
Jrayjoker
For relative beginners (even though I gave them extra Karma and build points at chargen) I like to keep it cheap.
Nyxll
bah ,... I hit the wrong button.... most runs that we took were 25-50K plus or minus some for perks. if the johnson was a company man, we often tried to get cutting edge tech, like any runner.
Slump
I'm starting off fairly slow in the payrange, but with a catch.

With enough cleverness and contacts, my runners can get paid more than once for a job.

Say they needed to clear a squatter building of gang members (say a corp wants to knock it down, but the owner of the building is refusing to sell because he's getting kickbacks from the gang, more than he would get with legit rent).

You could probably get yourself paid by another gang to take out their rivals, and get paid by the locals for getting rid of the gang that's terrorizing them, plus get a few bounties for the more prominent gang members who are wanted by lonestar.

You'd need the appropriate gang contact to get paid by the other gang, a local street doc would probably have the pull to get a collection going from the other residents to pay you for getting around the gang, and a lonestar (or bounty hunter) contact to get paid the bounties (I don't think shadowrunners want to register with lonestar).

So the Johnson may only pay 1.5k per person, but you could probably get another 3-4k per person with enough legwork.
mmu1
I don't run any games, but in the two I play in we've been getting... I'd say about 10,000-25,000 and 25,000-50,000 each, lately. (and in the latter, if we survive Bug City, I see our prices going up - one mission we've had, I probably spent several thousand nuyen.gif in ammo alone...)
mfb
that much? really? my standard price for small-time jobs for competent runners is 10k--quick jobs that don't really require any planning. for low-end runners doing street work, i probably wouldn't pay out more than 5k per run, total. i mean, that's over a thousand bucks per runner; if you're on the street, that's a nice chunk of change.

basically, for average runners, i pay each runner one month's Medium lifestyle per run. average runners living High lifestyles should be, i feel, living a bit beyond their means; they have to work a bit harder to maintain their lifestyle and keep up their gear. for low-end runners, i pay the entire team a month's low lifestyle. they should, i feel, have to scramble pretty hard just to keep their heads above water; gear upkeep is a bonus. that, to me, is the best way to maintain the feel of 'average' and 'street-level' campaigns.
Nyxll
doh! reading would help.

those types of runs are low pay... like 1K.... the average run that I have done was basically some kind of corporate raid, with alot of payout. (hiring gangs to be a distraction, new toys, after expenses we only pulled about 10K) I have not done many of those. I usually try and play someone a little more professional than thugish. I am a poor roleplayer. I can only basically play myself with different powers/abilities.
ShadowDragon8685
Slump: Been taking Lessons, have you? smile.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
that much? really? my standard price for small-time jobs for competent runners is 10k--quick jobs that don't really require any planning. for low-end runners doing street work, i probably wouldn't pay out more than 5k per run, total. i mean, that's over a thousand bucks per runner; if you're on the street, that's a nice chunk of change.

They weren't small-time jobs (and the runners are 128 points, 70+ karma) - my impression was that the OP wanted to hear about all kinds of games, not just small-time, or street level...

The 150,000 nuyen.gif (50k each) job that ate up thousands of nuyen.gif worth of ammo wasn't quick or easy - it was a hit against some very tough awakened opposition.
mfb
ah, okay. believe me, i'm not questioning high pay for tough runs. we got 250k per runner on one particularly memorable run. unfortunately, it was just as ridiculous as it sounds, and was memorable for all the wrong reasons.
SL James
That's a story worth reading, I bet.
mfb
no. not really.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
The 150,000 nuyen.gif (50k each) job that ate up thousands of nuyen.gif worth of ammo wasn't quick or easy - it was a hit against some very tough awakened opposition.

And though there were some out-of-game delays, we started the run in something like October and finished what, early May?

You definitely earned the title "Thermite Dentist" on that one.

~J
Edward
I voted for 10-50k but that’s more of the inter quartile range.

We took the bounty on a blood mage once and after costs that was 250k each.

The current run is involving over a months preparation and not going to earn us a cent (of cause this is probably our fault for not killing the blood mage when we had the chance)

Most of my characters wont be moved for less than 20k (or non nuyen motivations). I could write a character that would but I would have to know in advance. My current character has fixed monthly expenses over 12k and magical research to fund.

Of cause we typically take runs where the slightest slip in execution would be fatal

These low end games are all very well and good but you better tell me what to expect before I create my character. Banks pay 5% interest per anem (give or take) if you have a miniln nuyen of assets allocated to running the shadows you should expect to make more than if it was in a bank that’s nearly 5k per month. Further if you are playing a rigger 700k in vehicles and drones is not unusual that’s 7K in monthly upkeep and you need to pay the rent on the place your keeping them.

Edward
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
ah, okay. believe me, i'm not questioning high pay for tough runs. we got 250k per runner on one particularly memorable run. unfortunately, it was just as ridiculous as it sounds, and was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Is it the one I think it is? With teh sooper walls around teh seekrut base?
Slump
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Slump: Been taking Lessons, have you? smile.gif

You bet! I've been reading that comic since it was less than a year old.

Although, on most runs, you can't get paid more than two or three times, and the extra payments are usually very, very low compared to the run itself. For the more spectacular runs (public wetwork, demolitions, arson, ect), you can usually get a nice chunk of change from the various newsnets.

Public wetwork is the term I use to say "assassination that sends a message." You kill someone spectacularly and publicly. One time they pulled a fire alarm (through the matrix, of course) and when their target evacuated, they fired an EX Explosive round from a high-powered sniper rifle and *BAM!* no more head. They then blew up a firetruck to cover their escape.

Their newsnet contact even gave them a bonus for giving them a 'breaking news' story, rather than just an evening sumary story.
Sharaloth
Technically the Runners in the game I run aren't making any money at all anymore. Actually, they stopped being paid for individual runs something like the third run in, and despite taking on some truly impressively priced runs (including one which paid 4 million nuyen, the 1 million advance of which they spent beforehand on the equipment they needed to survive the mission itself), only one of the characters has ended up with more than 100K in the bank at any time. this is mostly due to the nonstandard nature of the campaign, and the fact that it's less street level and more stratosphere level (and about to kick it into orbital).

For a more down-to-earth game, I'd feel comfortable handing out around 5-10K per runner per run, with prices rising as the team survives and makes a name for themselves, or falling as they screw up and get their employers pissed at them. Occasional windfalls of 500K+ just to let the team go on a shopping spree and buy all the toys they want, 'cause there's nothing like the look on a player's face when you describe their brand-new 3 million Nuyen van/cleverly disguised shadowrunner tank exploding because some idiot left the back door open while a missile launcher was being aimed at it. (ah, the beautiful memories!)

It all depends on what style the group likes to play with.
mfb
QUOTE (Critias)

i have no idea what you're talking about. nothing like that ever happened to one of my characters. it never happened. i tell myself that, over and over again when i wake up in the middle of the night, clutching my pillow and sobbing. it never happened.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
there's nothing like the look on a player's face when you describe their brand-new 3 million Nuyen van/cleverly disguised shadowrunner tank exploding because some idiot left the back door open while a missile launcher was being aimed at it. (ah, the beautiful memories!)

Your runners are inefficient. I can build you a van/disguised tank for just under ¥630,000.

(The obvious response of how much more of a van/disguised tank could be built with the extra money is noted and valid.)

~J
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Critias)

i have no idea what you're talking about. nothing like that ever happened to one of my characters. it never happened. i tell myself that, over and over again when i wake up in the middle of the night, clutching my pillow and sobbing. it never happened.

So, right. Yeah. You're talking about the one I thought you were talking about.

frown.gif
Velocity
So you gonna keep teasing us or do we get the dirty deets? smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
So kage, just how much of a van/tank can you build with 3 million Nuyen?

Remember, proactive target aquisition is a 1.5 multiplier on coolness factor. smile.gif
Critias
Probably just keep teasing. It really was kind of an emberassing job.
Kagetenshi
I'm going to have to do more work to get the full effect, but the vehicle I was talking about is posted below, slightly tweaked.
[ Spoiler ]

Since we've got so much cash to work with and you're looking for proactivity, let's retool this a bit.
[ Spoiler ]

In a more comprehensive design some of these might be aftermarket additions instead of part of the basic vehicle design—I'm not certain, though, as it's definitely a nasty military-grade black ops vehicle. Either way, this is a taste—I may do a complete redesign with a ¥3,000,000 budget if I get the time.

~J
Jrayjoker
Ala Grosse Pointe Blank...Poodle puncher, hound hitter?
Kagetenshi
Actually, in terms of pure offensive power they're identical. The second design is just autonomous and nearly invisible to sensors.

Edit: I take that back, I forgot about Structural Agility. That +3 to the Reaction of any controlling Rigger is nasty.

~J
JackDaddy
As Far as I'm concerned any run that doesn't pay at least 100K is not worth doing.
Seriously. conceder what your risking, whats involved. 5K a pop to break federal law? I don't think so chummer. But then again we tend to play games where the reward is high, but so is the risk. (Dealing with dragons isn't always bad...) I know i've made the big times when we break the 1M a runner mark.
Though the best pay I ever got was the time We stole 2 T-birds from Boeing (sold one, kept the other.) Had to steal them... there availability is astronomically high.. cant start with them in creation...

Critias
SL James
What Critias said.
Kagetenshi
What Critias said, only an actual ellipsis rather than three periods stuck together.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012