Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will you buy SR 4th Ed. or stay with 3rd Ed.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheQuestionMan
Hoi Chummers, me again. Been away for awhile and wanted to ask yet another question.

Will you convert to 4th Edition or stay with 3rd Edition?

Cheers

QM
Kagetenshi
Fan chummer here, and evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of sticking with 3rd edition. Then again, the main book is itself an overwhelming body of evidence the side of which is yet to be determined.

If your question is "will you get the main book", sign me up for one "hell yes". If it's "will you switch", answer is "maybe, looking like no." Note that if Fourth Edition is really bad, I will also not be purchasing any books released for it, including fluff books (or at the least not purchasing them new).

~J
weblife
According to the poll, at this point, more than 40% have decided to get it, and 30% are considering it.

Thats a full 70% potentials. More than enough to pull the last 30% through the hoop eventually.

I really hope people will take SR4 with an open mind. It'll work. smile.gif
mfb
i took it with an open mind. it punched me in the brain.
SL James
QUOTE (weblife @ Jul 20 2005, 02:33 AM)
According to the poll, at this point, more than 40% have decided to get it, and 30% are considering it.

Thats a full 70% potentials. More than enough to pull the last 30% through the hoop eventually.

I wouldn't consider a sample pool of 7 to be very sufficient to produce an accurate probability curve.
Critias
Eight, jackass. SR4's gonna be the most popularest thing ever!
Grinder
I'll buy the BBB and test the game. if i like the new rules & setting, i'll play SR4. If not, still SR3.

But i'm gonna buy every sourcebook which is released, as i did for years. smile.gif
weblife
I'm so happy to see the silent majority is not naysayers. biggrin.gif
hermit
QUOTE (Grinder)
I'll buy the BBB and test the game. if i like the new rules & setting, i'll play SR4. If not, still SR3.

But i'm gonna buy every sourcebook which is released, as i did for years. smile.gif

What he said.
hobgoblin
will pick up the book but i will not trow out my old sr3 books, nor did i do so when i went from sr2 to sr3...
hermit
Better that way, you needed 2nd Edition books for some special rules (forced growth costs/time relations of replacement organs, for instance)
Grinder
QUOTE (hermit)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 20 2005, 12:54 PM)

But i'm gonna buy every sourcebook which is released, as i did for years.  smile.gif

What he said.

Du und ich, wir beide, Schätzchen. biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
I gotta see how it turns out. If the streamlining doesn't pan out and I can't take the new dice mechanic I will stay with 3rd ed, but I will definitely get involved in SR3R.
Nikoli
I'm disappointed, no Swordfish Mustardball option.
Jrayjoker
Hey, just because it is a universal option doesn't mean it has to be in every poll.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (weblife)
I'm so happy to see the silent majority is not naysayers. biggrin.gif

You're not seeing that, though. I personally haven't voted as I don't feel any of the options accurately reflect my stance in both strict meaning and implication, but if I were to vote I would vote yes (as the implication seems to be that this is more about the core book rather than the complete collection). I think you would be hard-pressed to not call me a naysayer.

~J
nezumi
I think a lot of people are going to buy the first book. I mean how can we complain otherwise? And despite what so many of the pro-SR4 crowd has been saying, I daresay the vast majority of DS WANTS SR4 to rock, and will give FanPro the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

The real question is, who is going to buy the second book? And that has to wait until we've had time to mull over 4th edition.
Grinder
Can't wait to see all the SR4-hate-threads once the main book is out. ohplease.gif
sanctusmortis
I'll get the main book and read it. If I like how it came out, I'll let the new group try it. If I don't think it works, we'll stick; if it works, we switch. And all before their first run!
Jrayjoker
My crew isn't too adventurous with their systems. We'll try it, but like I said before...
Smiley
We all agreed to test out 4th edition and see how we like it. If the majority give the thumbs-up, we'll convert. If not, 3rd edition fo' life!
Apathy
QUOTE (Grinder)

Ditto.
Eldritch
Keeping my Money. I've already bought 3 rule books. Don't need another in my pile of Obsolete books.

Sr4 may be the greatest thing ever, but I'm looking at it as a new game, with Shadowrun being discontinued. And I'm not looking for a new Fantasy/cyberpunk game - I've got one I like.

Syd
QUOTE (Grinder)
Can't wait to see all the SR4-hate-threads once the main book is out. ohplease.gif

I think they should make an entire section of the forums. SR4, and SR4 Sucks
Grinder
With much more space for the SR4sucks forum.
sidartha
Personaly, I've got a friend who will buy the new book just because it's new. My plan is to look over his shoulder and judge from there.
If the new rules hold up then I'll have to buy the core and convert.
However if seeing the new rules set turns me into a bitter old man(like MFB wink.gif ) then I'll have to burn down FanPro HQ
Catsnightmare
Fan Pro/Whiz Kids can go ahead and hunt me down if they want, but I'm not gonna buy the new book, I'll wait for a bootleg to hit the net. Most of what I've seen of the new rules system, I don't like, some I'll retro convert and am already in the midst of starting to do so. But I won't pay for a new book or use the new system.
Mortax
Weblife, I wouldn't speak so soon about the naysayer. Personally, I like next to nothing about the core mechanics they are talking about. The flavortext sound like fun. I voted the second option because I will buy it. However, I'm buying it so I can read it for myself, and decide if I like it. The guy that GM'd shadowrun for us for a long time kept telling us that 3rd edition sucked. We took his word for it, and never read the book. After we realised how much he was houseruling, we read the 3rd and 2nd edition core books cover to cover. That's when we realised that we were playing Shadowrun 2.5. smile.gif So now, I'm going to read it and base my opinion on that. I'll use the mechanics I like, but otherwise, I'll ignore it. I'm hoping the flavortet is great, so I can use it. Though my current team is in 2055, so it's gonna take a while to get there.
Nyxll
I kind of agree with catsnightmare. Although I have no plans to acquire 4 ed book, I would like to borrow a friend's manual to see how they fix some issues then apply them retroactively, then give it back. I would like to fix some issues.

Rigging and vehicle system is definitely on my list. Come up with new stat system for what is there already. Replace CF measurement which is extremely confusing to people.

As painful as it would be, I think that the weapons need some revamping.
Yoan
3rd Edition, Revised. cool.gif
Digital Heroin
What I can't understand is why there are even options for "4th rocks" or "3rd is better" considering none save the testers have even played using the new system, and they're bound by non-disclosure. What I further don't understand is that people have actually voted in these catagories... then again, the bandwagoneering never does cease to amaze...
SL James
There is, IMO, sufficient information to make a decision based on the big picture aspects of Shadowrun.

That said, I think I've had just about enough of Fanpro's Shadowrun. I think I'll stick with Third Edition.
Edge2054
I voted for the second option. Honestly there should have been another option between one and two. I have no idea if SR 4 rocks but I'm hopeful that it will when it comes out.
If I blow 40 bucks on it, then so be it, but I'm going to check it out none-the-less.

It sounds like alot of people are already bashing a system they have yet to see.
The same people who're die-hard fans of a system that has some serious flaws to it anyhow.

Keep an open mind chummers.
Kagetenshi
A lot of people are also bashing a system that they have seen pieces of. Still others are bashing a system that they have not seen, but that people they know and whose opinions they respect have seen and have not reported anything close to positive news about.

(Wow, it's been what, a whole three or four weeks since we last had this discussion. I think that's a new record.)

~J
Edge2054
I'm still optimistic for the most part.

Though I'll admit that I have a healthy dose of skepticism about a number of things, the new decker stuff for one. This has more to do with the change of setting and the jump forward to 2070 then any rules problems.

Like I said, SR 3 has some serious flaws IMO. I still play it, I still love most of it, and I change what I don't. Some of the metaplot makes me want to choke on my own vomit, such is life.

Point being, keep an open mind till it's out and judge for yourself.

Or don't, if the system rocks and it's the best thing since cheesy-bread then it's your lose. If it sucks then I'm out 40 bucks.
SL James
QUOTE (Edge2054 @ Jul 23 2005, 06:35 PM)
It sounds like alot of people are already bashing a system they have yet to see.
The same people who're die-hard fans of a system that has some serious flaws to it anyhow.

The first sentence is wrong, as Kagetenshi has pointed out. There's a lot of information about the mechanics out there already which is how I came to my decision. I am not going to list what I don't like other than to say that my dislike begins with the base mechanic of attribute + skill pools vs. fixed target number.

The second sentence is a seriously flawed assumption. Just because I don't want to play Fourth Edition doesn't mean I don't have serious issues with Third Edition. I like the game enough that I play it, and I like the vast majority of the rules, but there are plenty of changes to be made; some of which I have already implemented in my games.

But the other aspect of it goes to the discussion I had in the Loose Alliances forum, and that is that I'm just not digging on a lot of things Fanpro has been doing with Shadowrun recently; Fourth Edition being just one of those things.
arcady
Shadowrun is one of those things where I like the game system but not so much the setting. A lot of the setting has logical choices that are counter to the ones I would have made in designing it, and its gotten more so over time.

With this new edition I read that the setting is staying, but the system is going.

So I don't know.
Eddie Furious
I think I'll buy the book and see for myself. It's been awhile (heck, First Ed was the last time I played SR), but if I like what I see, it will be the edition my group will play, if not, we'll buy up some 3rd Ed material and go from there.
Dustbin1_UK
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
I think I'll buy the book and see for myself. It's been awhile (heck, First Ed was the last time I played SR), but if I like what I see, it will be the edition my group will play, if not, we'll buy up some 3rd Ed material and go from there.

I'm in the same boat. Been out since SR 2 and when I came back to find SR3 and a bewildering amount of source books, I got disheartened.

It is nice that I can almost "start again" as it were.

The other thing with this:
No doubt the designers will have listened to regular and professional SR players when updating this. I believe the way forward is to simplify games so that play is slicker and deadlier. Each edition gets closer and closer to this goal and I am sure this one will do the same.

personally I look forward to it's arrival.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012