Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Job Pay guidelines
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ed_209a
This is a spinoff of "What's the pay range in your campaign?"

Since Mr Johnsons don't really care how many people they are paying, just the bottom line, what kind of jobs would a J pay 5k, 10K, 25k etc for?
Vaevictis
FWIW, see src.100, they have a table of baseline pay for runs.
mmu1
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Jul 20 2005, 01:24 PM)
FWIW, see src.100, they have a table of baseline pay for runs.

Which has got to be the worst thing in SR3 after the gun design rules...

Runners are not going to work for less money than they could make by stealing a Ford Americar once every a couple of weeks and having the group troll negotiate the sale to a chop shop.
Vaevictis
Personally, I find it reasonable if you look at the fees on that page as a "per team member, for a low-risk run of that type, and a group with a "regular" rep (as opposed to green, veteran or elite)"
mmu1
IIRC those were supposed to be for the whole team, not per team member...
Nikoli
Those pay rates are pretty sad, when you consider upkeep rules for deckers and riggers.
Velocity
I also prefer to have a campaign that bears a closer resemblance to The Score, Heat, Enemy Of The State, Spy Game, The Italian Job, etc. While some of those movies are weaker than others, they all involve professionals competing for high stakes and that type of scenario is a lot more appealing to my players and I than a "street-level" (and I use the term loosely) campaign where the runners are willing to commit multiple felonies in exchange for beer money.

Please note that despite sounding a bit condescending, I'm not trying to disparage anyone else's style of gameplay. If you prefer to have a game where 10,000 nuyen.gif is a reasonable price for a group of skilled mercenaries to charge for a daring cocktail of industrial espionage and assassination, so be it. I hope you have a great time and keep playing Shadowrun for a long time. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Those pay rates are pretty sad, when you consider upkeep rules for deckers and riggers.

Yeah, no doubt about that. But if you have a street level game they make sense because noone has cyber, a deck , or a VCR...
RangerJoe
Way deep down in my GM heart of hearts, I feel that runs should only pay slightly more than the upkeep cost required to keep essence, meat bod, and gear together on one plane of existance. Shadowrun becomes less fun when it's dominated by toy arms races. That being said, runners should find ways to stretch their buying nuyen to keep on the right side of the SOTA curve (i.e., negotiating with Johnsons for gear, building/buying their own, etc.)
ShadowDragon8685
Runners are not going to work for less money then they could make by stealing a Ford Americar once every a couple of weeks and having the group troll negotiate the sale to a chop shop.

Heheheeh. smile.gif
That could be a profitable sideline, actually...
Kagetenshi
It's even better if you sell the driver to a chop shop too.

~J
Clyde
So you really can put a price on human life. Personally, I'd like SR4 to include a table for those values . . .
PBTHHHHT
Waste nothing, eh? You can also take the remaining scraps from the chop shop and sell it to an unscrupulous meat packing plant (soylent green brand meats, they're good for you!!!) or to some ghoul group.
ShadowDragon8685
You people give recycling a whole new meaning...
mmu1
Ooh, I made it into a sig... wink.gif

Recycling? Hell, we came pretty close to recycling a Johnson once (Who says getting double-crossed has to lose you money?), but I was able to talk some sense into him and everyone walked away happy. Relatively speaking.
ShadowDragon8685
Does anyone else find the term "Recycled Johnson" to be so egregariously wrong?
Mortax
Hehehe, bring along a giant with a sack to carry the bodies. smile.gif Brings a whole new meaning to looting bodies.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Clyde)
So you really can put a price on human life. Personally, I'd like SR4 to include a table for those values . . .

In the damage and healing section they give you prices for cloned tissue. Reduce prices by maybe 50% to indicate loss in value due to non-total genetic compatibility, then apply the standard fencing rules.
Hell, we came pretty close to recycling a Johnson once (Who says getting double-crossed has to lose you money?), but I was able to talk some sense into him and everyone walked away happy.

We did, however, recycle a fallen teammate. Sadly a 'ware-light one, though.

~J
Thomas
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

We did, however, recycle a fallen teammate. Sadly a 'ware-light one, though.
~J

The nuyen doesn't care where it comes from...

Ohh, you are sick... I like it! devil.gif
Kagetenshi
Sadly I seem to have lost the logs from that day, the GM's reaction was priceless.

~J
toturi
The guidelines in SRComp are baseline. It is also stated that the pay rate is low end, so it means that you can be paid more but not less.
Slump
As a newbie GM, I'm starting the pay low (and thus risk -- and complexity), but I've already started allowing the players to get extra pay for extra objectives (see pay thread for examples of getting paid more than once), and also the runs may have collateral or contingent terms.

Something like: This computer needs to be destroyed. I'll pay 40k. Those dozen or so computers over there can be destroyed, and you'll get an extra 1k per computer (paid upon proof of completion, of course), but if you kill any guards, I'll cut 2k off the total for each guard killed. 1k will be cut if they are seriously wounded (i.e. need "Intensive Care lifestyle").

Or: Kill this gentlemen before he completes his project, you get 20k. Kill him after and you get 10k. He should be done in a week. 30k if you wipe the project data (will be alot harder to get all copies after project is done).

That way, if they work hard and get lucky, they can get alot more money than if they just brute force their way around and keep from being killed.
Taran
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Sadly I seem to have lost the logs from that day, the GM's reaction was priceless.

~J

I have the log. My reaction, word for word:

...the hell? How does...how can...what are you...nevermind.

It starts with blank incomprehension, then slides into shocked disbelief and numb horror. Little did I know that I would soon long for these carefree, organlegging days.

Other reactions:
Blake: "I mean, the guy did almost get this whole operation shitcanned, but it seems a bit cold, you know?"
Alex: "I liked him, but he's evidence now."

Alex: "Think of it as his parting gift. We'll toast him later, once we're sure we're not going to follow him."
Blake: "Uh... Sure. I think I'll be getting my biomonitor and DocWagon tracer implanted. Under armor."
Blake, to himself: "...or maybe a self-destruct system..."
Shojo: Cortex bomb, yo

Alex: Apologies if I seem altogether too prepared for this.

Blake: *Wishes he could get a nap without risking getting sold to organ-leggers by "mistake".*
Alex: "You can sleep if you want. I know it's cramped, but if you can keep away from the body and the ice..."
ShadowDragon8685
I want the whole log of that day's gaming...
Nikoli
Talk about sig worthy material
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Mortax)
Hehehe, bring along a giant with a sack to carry the bodies. smile.gif  Brings a whole new meaning to looting bodies.

No, that's why you 'acquire' a refridgerated truck first. And don't forget to use stun attacks so the merchandise is fresh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012