Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL Stun Raygun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Link

Interesting. I wonder how it works with microwave oven pop-corn. wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Freshly popped popcorn at 4 paces.

(The "this side down" part of a bag of microwave popcorn is made of a nice material that converts the microwaves into heat which then radiates mostly up into the popcorn. It'll work whether it's in a closed box or being shot by a properly powerful heavy short range pain delivery system.)
Aku
so you would have to shoot the bag from below then?or would/should it radiate in a horizontal motion as well?
Jrayjoker
Freshly popped brain at 100 yards.
Herald of Verjigorm
Most of the microwaves would just pass through the bag and corn (in your kitchen microwave, the emitter probably points into the main box at an upward angle where the energy then bounces around until it hits absorbant material) and into the heating material.
FlakJacket
Heh, when I first saw the title I immediately thought it was about Raygun Raygun. "New Raygun action figure! Now with realistic SVD gun and real karate-chop action!" biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Funny, I have absolutly no sympathy for someone that willingly participates in a riot and gets stuck in this beam. Seems like karmic justice to me.
Jrayjoker
Riot = fair game for non lethal/non maiming force? Maybe.

High probability of cooking the front lines of a mob. Not so good.
Nikoli
It can't do that. The ray doesn't penetrate the subcutaneous layer of fat in the skin nor can it penetrate the skull. I read about this months ago, from links on this very site. CNN, in my opinion, lef that out because it detracts from the point the author was biased towards making.
Jrayjoker
Unfortunately, occular damage may still occur. I was being excessive when I suggested the mob would be cooked.

Seared maybe, but not fully cooked. rotate.gif
hermit
Depends. Used on prisoners in a holding cell ...
JackDaddy
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Freshly popped popcorn at 4 paces.

(The "this side down" part of a bag of microwave popcorn is made of a nice material that converts the microwaves into heat which then radiates mostly up into the popcorn. It'll work whether it's in a closed box or being shot by a properly powerful heavy short range pain delivery system.)

No, the microwaves excite the water in the popcorn. you can dump popcorn in the microwave and turn it on and get popcorn. Or you can put it in a paper bag and pop it that way. Go read 'Im just here for the food" by Alton Brown if you disbelieve.

Nikoli
the bag keeps it from getting ucky in the company microwaves and also provides an easy form of retrieval and provides a vehicle for transference of faux buttery goodness
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (JackDaddy)
No, the microwaves excite the water in the popcorn.

While that is also true, there is still a microwave absorbant material in the thicker portion of a popcorn bag which provides more thermal energy per second than the amount of water in the kernels alone could gather.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a nice "this is how it works" page to show you, I can only reference one patent where part 1e when translated from legalese confirms my point. Just to clarify a little.
Fix-it
One way they could avoid over exposure would be by pulsing or strobing the beam on and off.

I for one would throw foil balls into the air in between the ray and watch the sparks.
Nikoli
Just pray that if you are in the beam and you have tattoos that the artist used high quality and nohing with too much metal content in the ink
hermit
Or that you have no fillings.
Nikoli
well, you an scratch rioting off my 100 thing sbefore I die list.
sanctusmortis
And if they get the beam wrong... it excites your water molecules. Loverly.
Clyde
The cops could always throw protective goggles to the rioters just before they turn on the beam . . .
Nikoli
nah, just aim low. once their wedding tackle starts to smolder they'll run. And if they don't, they'll be less of a burden on the welfare system <j/k>
Zen Shooter01
Was there suddenly a shortage of rubber bullets, bean bag guns, water cannons, and tear gas? Why even bother developing this? In case there's a riot on the Battlestar Galactica?
Herald of Verjigorm
It's generally safer than any of those and has a more universal ammunition.
hermit
Plus, unlike the above mentioned munitions, it's multi-use, like for interrogation. I shudder to think of the possibilities such a system offers.
Stun Raygun
I swear, this is nonsense.
hermit
Why? It only needs a sadist's mind. A person held in a cell cannot run away, and like the article said, the pain's supposed to be unbearable.
Nikoli
And as long as it's widely used and accepted, it's no longer unusual, and the Constitution requires cruel AND unusual...
Arethusa
But if we do it a lot, it's normal and therefore permissable!
Nyxll
I think the sonic weapon that Isreal uses was much more effective
Sound weapon link
and less likely for permanent damage.
Clyde
Or you could play Mariah Carey tapes until they talk . . .

Don't microwaves have some adverse reaction to metal? Like when you put a fork in with your leftovers and the thing goes haywire? What about all the zippers and buttons on peoples' clothes?
Nikoli
chances are, for the test they were erring on the side of caution rather than having a full blown field test as the volunteers would likely be sujected to the rays multiple times over the course of the day in various tests, so they were more likely to suffer extreme situations, where as field use targets would have a more limited exposure time, couple that with the point is to breakup and deter actions, localized hotspots, etc. are only going to make it more inticing to stop your actions and get the hell out of there.
Herald of Verjigorm
If the product had reached a full production stage without any testing on populaces that mimic the variation that could be in a crowd, then there would be cause for some outrage. This article is like writing one about Microsoft not providing an intrinsic firewall in their test alpha for whatever their next OS will be called.
Nikoli
Who said it's going into mass use the day after the article? I'm sure they will test under stressful field conditions. They probably just said that while the reporters were there to appear concerned for the safety of the test subjects.
ShadowDragon8685
The thing about microwaves going hayware if there's a fork in it is because the microwave beams are refelcted off metal, into the magnetron (that's what it's really called, IIRC,) and they can mess it up. It shoulden't be a problem in a field situation, excepting that the metal might get very hot, very fast.
Raygun
QUOTE (Stun Raygun)
I swear, this is nonsense.

Just so you guys know, I have nothing to do with this "Stun Raygun" identity.
Arethusa
I do. Apparently, no one even noticed, let alone found it amusing.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Funny, I have absolutly no sympathy for someone that willingly participates in a riot and gets stuck in this beam. Seems like karmic justice to me.

Picture this, a hostile army has invaded you country on false presences, and you wish them out, Or maybe the government is fighting for freedom by destroying civil liberties, or maybe there is just not enough food to live off where you live? The simple fact is that riots and protests are largely dealt with the same way in a lot places, and in a lot of places peaceful actions are not enough. So yea, there isn't enough food. Deal with it. There isn't freedom in the your country deal with it. You now live in a war zone, have a nice day.

The reasons for Riots vary as much as the people who join them. Most people in riots think they are protesting and act in a rather peaceful manor. But Fuck them to,cause they joined up, and they should be maimed too!
Nikoli
Who said maim, that device cannot main them outside of extrememly limited situations. It's far less likely to do so than rubber-rounds, fire hoses and police dogs are. You are right on one thing, there are many reasons to gather peacefully and protest activities. However we are talking about riot control. Riot, as in blind violence commited upon people and protperty through the mob mentality where many people are likely to be seriously injured, maimed or killed. Quelling a riot is not a peaceful process, ever. This device will likely only be used in extreme circumstances and is a hell of a lot nicer of a tool than traditional methods.
Clyde
Nikoli, any weapon can be misused. On the other hand, those inclined to handle rioters roughly usually have access to guns - which do work even faster than microwave energy for clearing out mobs. I could see Lone Star turning something like this on squatters in the Barrens and so forth. I could also see Troll Gangers heating up their Soy Dogs before opening up on Lone Star . . .
Nikoli
Fair enough, fictional setting, unrealistic uses. also, this this is designed to not cook the meat it hits, so heating a soy dog would be betgter served with a zippo than one of those rays.

And yes, LS might use this to roust out squatters from a building, but why would they even get called to do so. It's cheaper to pay some local street toughs to do it for you. Though I could see Doc Wagon using it to defend a patient in a not quite overly hostile situation, with the beams mounted like entry lights on their Ares Alphas.
zephir
A more frequent problem with metal in microwaves are strong magnetic fields at the corners. I do not recommend the experiment to you, but I've seen it in class: if you put forks and spoons in microwaves (this was not an ordinary household microwave), you can see which start melting first, and where.

This device will IMHO make non-violent protests like Ghandhi's very hard.

I wonder why whips have gone so far out of fashion, they have a good reach, do not inflict too much damage if cracked low, too. They hurt like hell though, and let people want to get out of their way fast. Perfect! frown.gif
Nikoli
Why are you assuming a device like this would be used at a Non-violent protest rally?

It's not for breaking up protestors, it's for quelling riots.

ri·ot  n.
A violent disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons assembled for a common purpose.

Ghandi never started a riot, he used peaceful non-violent methods, preferring a protestor die at the hands of an oppressor rather than lift a hand in anger or defense. This device would not legally be used against such a protest; however, should a real riot break out, which with hightened tensions during the just barely peaceful protests today might be more common, this device would be far more reliable than rubber bullets and other traditional methods for breaking up riots with far less damage to the rioters.
Crusher Bob
You have a peaceful protest, then the soliders show up, with tanks... All fine and legal. Or at least, no one seemed to complain too much about it. It's not like the non-violent protesters in India were ever gunned down either
Kyuhan
Found this link, check it out:

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/...id/44522;_Jj3sn
Nikoli
--removed--
I had this nice little reply for Crusher Bob, but removed it.

Back to SR, somethign like this would likely require a will test vs power to resist or forcibly cease actions.
Crusher Bob
I suspect it might also adversley effect exposed cyberwear, rendering it inoperative for a few seconds. Or would most ware already come protected from surges, as stuff? Assuming the engineers of the future are on the ball, I'd guess that is just 'fuzzes' external ware when you are hit with the beam, so riggers and deckers who were decking or rigging when they were hit would probably be dumped.

Also, sitting in the metal frame of a car would protect you quite well from this weapon, though most cars in the 2070s might not have much metal in the frame.
Herald of Verjigorm
2070, when your ass is steel and your car is plastic*.

*the full phrase was "when your ass is a reinforced steel titanium alloy and your car is primarily an organic-based polymer," but it didn't catch on outside of thoes two irritating cyberware designers whe work on the fifth floor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012