Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ankle Holsters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
Could some one with a little experience with these give an opinion on how concealable/difficult to spot they actually are? Been having a little look round Raygun's site for a nice small backup gun for a character.

Also, some other questions. Would you allow a character to use a concealable holster on their ankle? And since it's meant to be covered by the trouser leg, would you give it a positive modifier to the target number- the reason for the first question- for it? Thanks. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
I personally would rule that an ankle holster is by definition a concealed holster, and charge accordingly. Of course, that's just my answer on too little sleep; it may change by the light of day.

~J
Tziluthi
Just remember, only a troll could hide a heavy pistol on his ankle.
Raygun
An ankle holster definitely is considered a concealable holster (SR3.280). The Quick Draw rules (SR3.107) stipulate that "if the pistol is not held in a proper holster, add a +2 modifier [to the Reaction Test]." I would say that a concealable holster definitely qualifies for this modifier. By nature of making their contents more difficult to detect, any concealable holster will be more difficult to draw from. Another thing that should probably be mentioned is that running with an ankle holster strapped to your leg can be a huge pain in the ass. Small handguns are pretty massive for their size and that can make the entire rig shift around your leg if your moving it a lot.

Depending on the style of pants worn, an ankle holster can be very difficult to spot. I tend to wear baggy fitting jeans and unless you were looking for it pretty intensely, there's really no way you could tell if I had a small pistol strapped to my leg. A casual glace won't do it. Casual slacks will probably do the same to a point, as will any loose-fitting kind of pants. I'd consider giving an additional +1 modifier to the Perception Test in that case.

Galco
Milt Sparks
Aker
K.L. Null
Kagetenshi
I'd assume "improper holster" applies to everything but the quick-draw holster and everyone's favourite concealed quick-draw holster.

~J
Raygun
Well, not having Cannon Companion, I'm left to assume that a non-concealable holster would be the only "proper" type of holster to perfom a quick draw from. Quick draw holster or not, if it's concealable, you should get penalized on the draw. Period. Just my opinion. New rules to post on the site, it seems.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Raygun)
Well, not having Cannon Companion, I'm left to assume that a non-concealable holster would be the only "proper" type of holster to perfom a quick draw from. Quick draw holster or not, if it's concealable, you should get penalized on the draw. Period. Just my opinion. New rules to post on the site, it seems.

<wonders why SR even bothers with QD Conceal holsters>

Sigh. Anyway, slight topic shift. What kinds of firearms in SR take holsters? I assume Assault Rifles don't, and I know Pistols do. How about SMGs? A Shotgun, perhaps?
CirclMastr
Early morning (for me) but I think I remember reading somewhere that any weapon with Conceal 4 or greater could go in a holster. Maybe I'll actually look it up at some point.

[edit]
BBB p. 107
A character may attempt to quick-draw a pistol or pistol-sized weapon (Concealability 4 or greater, see p. 270) and immediately fire it by expending a Quick Draw action.

That seems to imply that such a weapon (Conceal 4 or greater) could fit in a holster to begin with, otherwise you wouldn't be able to quick-draw one out of a holster.

Never mind that pre-errata you couldn't quick-draw your cellphone or PocSec biggrin.gif
[/edit]
sir fwank
no, its saying you CAN quick draw that type of weapon. instead of having to spend a ready weapon action. if the weapon is above conceal 4 then you MUST ready it first. i assume this is one of those game balance things don't want people quick-drawing assault cannon or such.
Zeel De Mort
... Unless you're a physical adept with the Quick Draw power of course. biggrin.gif Quite good fun for only 0.5 points.

I assume you mean *below* concealability 4, not above, right? smile.gif Anyway, the text for Quick Draw (p151 MitS) seems to imply that the only thing you can normally quick draw is a pistol.

"The quick draw power allows an adept to use the quick drawing rules (p. 107, SR3) to quick-draw weapons other than pistols."

So yeah, I guess pistols (with concealability 4+) are the only normal candidates for quick drawing, not SMGs or similar. You can probably holster any weapon you like really, if it'll fit in one, but you just don't get any game bonus for doing so.
Siege
Two things:

There isn't a clear definition of what a "heavy" pistol is, but I've always considered it to be in the .40 Smith and Wesson, .357, .45 and so on.

That being said, they have made and do make small .45 caliber pistols for the express purpose of concealment and they would (I believe) fit in an ankle holster.

Now, the current crop of heavy pistols probably wouldn't make the grade -- although I seem to recall Arnold Schwartzeneggar pulling a Beretta from an ankle holster in "Kindergarten Cop". I remember this because I almost snarfed my drink at the time. Anyway. Raygun might have a couple write-ups on ankle-holster capable heavy pistols if your character is intent on having one.

Bear in mind, cops tend to frown highly on these things. A friend of mine believes they are illegal for anyone but a cop to own (in Georgia) -- how true that is, I don't know.

I wouldn't allow a quickdraw from an ankle holster because of the awkward location. A character would either have to drop to one knee to free the thing after yanking up his/her pants leg or raise afore-mentioned leg to at least waist level to free the gun.

Neither action would normally be done quick enough to qualify, in my mind, as a "quick draw". Certainly not compared to clearing a weapon from a hip or even shoulder rig.

#3 For Fwank: You mean _below_ a 4? Like 3, 2 and the ever-popular "not a fragging chance?"

-Siege
otomik
ankle holsters are damn uncomfortable unless you got some kinda 11oz scandium .38 or 7oz Kel-Tec .32 or .380 so i don't think you could use shadowrun's guns made out of uberheavium. on the plus side the ankles are checked less often in pat-downs. i'd give characters modifiers depending on the weight of the gun and strength of the character, if you can't walk naturally someone is going to figure it out.
sir fwank
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
I assume you mean *below* concealability 4, not above, right? smile.gif

silly.gif
well, obviously. what are you stoopid?

numbers never go the way i want them to. nyahnyah.gif
Siege
QUOTE (sir fwank)
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
I assume you mean *below* concealability 4, not above, right? smile.gif

silly.gif
well, obviously. what are you stoopid?

numbers never go the way i want them to. nyahnyah.gif

Yeah, I tend to say that about the dice.

Granted, that's right after my character yells something like, "hey, y'all watch this!"

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012