Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Jewel of Memory and the Loremaster
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mugzy
We know that the loremaster is the great dragon charged with the keeping of the traditions, rituals and the history of the dragons.

Other books (Primarily the ED Dragons .PDF, Page 17) infer that there could be multiple Loremasters for other councils of dragons, in different regions. In SR, there is only one Loremaster (Dunk) for the entire race, and when he kicked the scaley bucket, a Rite of Succession was performed, which left another dragon with the title (Lofwyr? Hestaby?), even though all his loot didn't go to the successor, as the Rite normally demands.

Are there multiple Loremasters for the dragon race in SR? Or have they more or less turned to one Loremaster because of the new global scope of the world?

When that Rite was performed, the Jewel of Memory, bequeathed to Lowfyr from Dunk's will, was used as major clout in the jockeying for that title.

Going back and forth between the Dragons .pdf, and the newer material (Minus Survival of the Fittest, which I don't have...), it seems Dunklezahn had the Jewel of Memory in his possession since before he was Loremaster. Beyond being a Draconic Memory crystal, does the Jewel possess an intrinsic value supporting the title of Loremaster?

Vasdenjas did not have the Jewel in his possesion when he was Loremaster, and fairly obviously didn't need it to perform his duties.

When Vasdenjas died busting up Stormhead (Or defending the Earthdawn in other versions), was there presumably a Rite of Succession that left Mountainshadow (Dunk) with the title?

Also, is there any reference to what happened to the Eyes of All-Wings after Dunklezahn's death (At least his?)

Just a few questions that I'm sure will amuse a few of you out there...
northern lights
um, AH?

that sucks, i usually consider myself up to speed on the crosover stuff, at least from the ED end, but you've got me on those.
Synner
Beyond being a Draconic Memory crystal, does the Jewel possess an intrinsic value supporting the title of Loremaster?

The truth is out there... unfortunately it's in Survival of the Fittest.
Ancient History
There were, and might be, more than a single Loremaster. However, it is quite possible that many of them died, leaving only a single position remaining--or even that dragons decided to consolidate and work together on an international skill. Given that the title is traditionally passed down by contest and accumulation of lore, the Jewel of Memory might well have become the deciding vote, so to speak.

The Jewel of Memory did not become associated with the office until Dunkelzahn's death, mainly (we must assume) because it was a prime item of contention in the Will. Certainly, its powers would be of benefit to the office.

There was indeed a Rite of Succession following the death of Vasdenjas, although the title of Loremaster was not automatically given to his successor, but is rather being vied for.

No references to the Eyes of All-Wings in SR (yet).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012