Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physad Power: the Rambo Effect
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Deep down in the dusty stacks of top secret military records where only ominous men smoking cigarettes can go, there's a particular box of papers that has so much dust on it that if you were to run your hand over the top of the box in the darkness your hand would look like it had transformed into some kind of gigantic tarantula.

If you were to look inside this box, you would see many yellowing papers stamped with such mysterious terms of yore as, "UNITED STATES ARMY", dating all the way back to the 1980s back when the Japanacorps started to take over the world.

And hidden deep within these papers there is record of a man, a physad, who apparently existed before the Awakening. His name was John Rambo. He naturally emitted a powerful magnetic field which was so strong that whenever someone tried to shoot at him the rounds would be deflected away from him. According to eyewitness accounts, during a deployment in Afghanistan an entire column of Soviet armored vehicles and soldiers all opened fire on him at once, but not a single round hit him. At the same time, Rambo himself was known to spend his firefights screaming and firing a M60 machine gun from the hip. Most likely, this was because his magnetic field also affected himself so firing from the hip using a machine gun was the only way that he himself would have a chance of hitting anyone.

The Rambo Effect
Cost: 2 points/level

Each level of The Rambo Effect gives a +1 TN penalty to any projectile attacks, and grenade/rocket style attacks which are aimed at you. However, while active, the same magnetic field also assigns the same penalty to you when you use those types of attacks.

To make it very clear for the players and the GM when you are using The Rambo Effect and when you want it turned off, it is recommended that you say The Rambo Effect is in effect whenever your character goes, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

[What do you guys think of the cost? Too much?]
northern lights
rotfl.gif
Kyuhan
I like that. rotfl.gif
Foreigner
Wounded Ronin:

In the words of Emil Antonowski (Paul McCrane) in ROBOCOP (1987):

I LIKE IT!

Although, I think it might be a little funnier if you threw in the comedic effect a la "LT. Topper Harley" (Charlie Sheen) in HOT SHOTS: PART DEUX.

IIRC, he fired an M-60E3 in that fashion for about 2 minutes screen time, then had to forcibly extricate himslf from a waist-high pile of fired cartridge cases and metal links.

rotfl.gif

--Foreigner
Modesitt
I'd make it 1/level.

With the current wording, there are two, maybe three, loopholes.

1. You are not aiming at him, you're just aiming at the air. He happens to be in the way.
2. Area effects of various kinds would still kill him even if they miss.
3. This would be better named 'Passive Aggressiveness'. He can't actually hurt you, he just sees to it harm comes to you indirectly via his friends who CAN hurt you.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Modesitt)
1. You are not aiming at him, you're just aiming at the air. He happens to be in the way.

This one's no problem, as there's nothing in the rules about bullets hitting things other than their intended targets. Either you hit that target and nothing else or the bullet vanishes into thin air.

~J
Slump
What about suppressive fire? You're not aiming at him directly, but he just passess through your field of bullets.
Wounded Ronin
I guess I should reword it so to specify that with explosions and suppressive fire, TNs get raised by 1 for the purposes of calculating hits against him.
Slump
It still seems absurdly powerful if you're using a melee-type. One of my players would gladly get max ranks in that. He uses a katana, so no negative effect for him. Heck, when he uses his Shuriken, it also doesn't affect his TNs.
Kagetenshi
Shuriken are projectiles as well, so TN++.

~J
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Slump)
It still seems absurdly powerful if you're using a melee-type. One of my players would gladly get max ranks in that. He uses a katana, so no negative effect for him. Heck, when he uses his Shuriken, it also doesn't affect his TNs.

The magnetic field is strong enough to deflect bullets, and affect the use of your big steel katana. biggrin.gif
Slump
Okay, I read "projectile" in the original post as "bullets," so yes, it would affect shuriken. But it doesn't affect melee, regardless of your implement (unless you're hitting people upside the head with rockets or missiles), going by what the first post says.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Slump)
Okay, I read "projectile" in the original post as "bullets," so yes, it would affect shuriken. But it doesn't affect melee, regardless of your implement (unless you're hitting people upside the head with rockets or missiles), going by what the first post says.

Great, now you've got me wanting to make a Troll who uses a SAM as a club... and having flashbacks of an unsatisfying SW campaign ending with a character blowing up an allied (but overpoweringly annoying) NPC vessel by piledriving a mag torpedo inside of the armory...
Dog
You gonna introduce the other TF2V shticks too?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Dog @ Jul 25 2005, 11:32 PM)
You gonna introduce the other TF2V shticks too?

I've done a couple similar shticks in the past...try doing a search for posts by me containing "Sho Kosugi".
Shadow
You know this gives me a great idea for another edge.

Deaths Door 8 pts

After the character has been beaten, shot, stabbed and generally is about to die, he can invoke Deaths Door. For 1 phase he will have visions of his life. After that he will go berserk and ignore all wounds, and wound modifiers for 2 turns.
DocMortand
After which, he dies horribly. smile.gif
Drain Brain
No, after which he is miraculously saved in the nick of time by an ally he previously thought to be deceased!
sanctusmortis
I'd go with:

Insane luck - 8 pts

The character has had an unfeasably hard life up until this point, and has been hardened to a stupendous degree. As such, it takes a lot to kill them, to the point where even being put in the electric chair is feasably survivable...

The character, when put into a truly deadly situation, may expend karma points for dice to soak EVERY box of damage above the Severe level (including overflow) at a TN of how many boxes this comprises of. All karma used in this way is of course gone, but this allows for survival of even the hardiest attempts on the character's life.

Yes, that is based on Sin City.
Kyuhan
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 26 2005, 03:00 PM)
I've done a couple similar shticks in the past...try doing a search for posts by me containing "Sho Kosugi".

From Guyver?

EDIT: Hehe whoops, that was Sho Fukamachi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012