Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phys Ads
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JBlades
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about physical adepts in the new edition? I noted that they're mentioned in the description of Street Magic, but has anyone seen rules for them? From Origins maybe?
Bigity
Surely they are in the main book.
Lady Anaka
They are in the main book.
Ellery
Physads worked pretty well before, and a lot of the abilities convert easily to the new system (dice bonuses, skill bonuses, attribute bonuses). I wouldn't expect much change in adepts (certainly less than the change in everything else).
JBlades
Excellent! Thank you all for your replies!
Cynic project
QUOTE (Ellery)
Physads worked pretty well before, and a lot of the abilities convert easily to the new system (dice bonuses, skill bonuses, attribute bonuses). I wouldn't expect much change in adepts (certainly less than the change in everything else).

Theya re going to ahve to be rewored hard unless you don't want street sams in your game that much. With fixed TNs the number of dice you roll reallly matters will right now the TNs matter as well so rolling 18 dice is not alway better than rolling 12ish dice because of TNs.
Kyoto Kid
One of the improvements I learned of is that Magic Loss from wounds has been done away with. Whether a starting adept can be a match for a starting Wireboy remains to be seen. We probably won't know until SR4 finally hits the streets.
Ellery
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jul 25 2005, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jul 25 2005, 03:23 AM)
Physads worked pretty well before, and a lot of the abilities convert easily to the new system (dice bonuses, skill bonuses, attribute bonuses).  I wouldn't expect much change in adepts (certainly less than the change in everything else).

Theya re going to ahve to be rewored hard unless you don't want street sams in your game that much. With fixed TNs the number of dice you roll reallly matters will right now the TNs matter as well so rolling 18 dice is not alway better than rolling 12ish dice because of TNs.

I wouldn't say that this means that physads need to be reworked that much. Everything else needs to be reworked to fit into the TN5 framework. Unless cyberware doesn't give modifiers, presumably adept abilities will still give modifiers. Maybe the point cost will change a bit, but other than that it should look pretty similar to what it is now.
Hell Hound
Obviously some adept powers will change quite a bit (those connected to Combat Pool for example) but there is also the question of the variable magic attribute and initiation.

I don't know of any concrete facts about this but the talk of Magic as an attribute has seemed to imply that Initiation will not work the same as it currently does, that you will not increase your magic attribute through initiation and presumably then a human will not increase their magic score above 6. If this is correct (and I stress if) then it has some serious implications for PhysAds.
Ellery
Indeed it does. But you can't raise skills above 6 or 7 and can't raise attributes above 6 (9 with cyber?), then I'd say that there are some pretty serious implications for the whole game.
Hell Hound
True enough, the whole game is changing, what I was trying to emphasise is what is, I think, a fairly important change to Physads. A street sammie will install cyberware into his/her body and upgrade it by purchasing better grades of cyberware, or going to bioware to get the same effect with less impact on essence, that is pretty much the way it works now. At present Physads improve their powers through initiation which increases their magic attribute above 6, if the new system does not allow them to increase their magic attribute through initiation then they need some other means of improving their powers or gaining new ones, that would seem to be a big change. Probably not as big a change as Deckers/Riggers/Hackers have gone through but certainly more of a change than has happened for street sams and it may end up being as big a change as with the other magic users.
Ellery
I think that between bioware taking essence and street sams not being able to raise skills above 6 or so and potentially having easy access to magic and major changes to weapons and armor due to the new dice system, street sams will change markedly (to the point where "conversion" from SR3 will effectively mean "rebuild from scratch with the same concept" for many or even most street sams). I can still envision most adepts not needing a rebuild.
Hell Hound
Changes to skills, armour and weapons will apply to all characters not just street sams, which means physads have that change as well, and bioware costing essence means it functions like expensive but more essence friendly cyberware. Unless essence works in a very different manner in 4th Edition that change will be minimal, an actual simplification since there will no longer be a Bio Index to keep track of. As for easier access to magic that is something I have not heard of, or did you mean easier access to the matrix? If thats the case then again its a change that applies to everyone not just street sams.

So of the four changes you listed for street sams (weapons, armour, bioware and access to magic) two automatically apply to physads as well, and one is something I have not heard of. The remaining one (bioware) can mean some street sams will need to be redone because their cyber and bioware essence cost exceeds 6 but by the same token any physad with even one level of initiation in 3rd edition is going to need to be rewritten as well since it seems initiation no longer increases your magic attribute. On top of that there are more physad powers than cyberware or bioware that will either dissapear or be completely reworked because of the fixed T# and loss of combat pool.

I still think physads will need more reworking than street sams.
Ellery
I guess we'll have to wait for the book to find out who is right.
Hell Hound
True enough.
RangerJoe
Just a thought--the skill+linked attribute mechanic just made the attribute boost adept power a whole hell of a lot more useful. For less than the cost of a permanent attribute increase, adepts suddenly have a whole lot more bang for the buck at critical moments in the game.

Yeah. skill+attribute makes adepts scary. Very scary.

(But my inner fists-full-o'dice gamer is thrilled)
Synner
... and then again the authors might have considered that and adjusted the cost of Att Increase and Att Boost accordingly.
RangerJoe
No matter how clever the authors, the powergamers of the world will always be one step ahead of them. Such is the way of things.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
No matter how clever the authors, the powergamers of the world will always be one step ahead of them. Such is the way of things.

I hear that one....Just means as a GM I need to stay two steps ahead.
Taki
QUOTE (RangerJoe)

I do not agree, as there is simple way to avoid a lot of powergaming stuff:
having a direct relation between character creation points and karma point.
Powergamers will still be able to maximise some things, but at a cost, and finally the way authors think DOES matter
Taki
QUOTE (Synner)
... and then again the authors might have considered that and adjusted the cost of Att Increase and Att Boost accordingly.

Are you meaning that saying "SR4 is unbalanced" using SR3 rules parameters for the bet, leads to flawed conclusions ?
It should be obvious to anyone, unfortunately it's not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012