Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adventures Leading to the Crash?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OSUMacbeth
After literally *years* of waiting after I bought my complete SR3, I've finally gotten a group who can play regularly for the forseeable future. This means we have all the adventures all the way up to SR3 that we can play (I've been an enourmous fan ever since SR Came out on the SNES). However, it has come to my attention that SR4 is now on the way. I must say, no matter how they change the rules or whether it sucks or is the second coming, I am ecstatic that it's happening at all. An SR4 was in the category of "I should like that above all things, but I don't think it has a chance in hell of happening." I've probably never been happier to be wrong. But I digress.

My group and I are very hyped to play SR4 as soon as it comes out, and as such we'd like to play through the modules leading up to System Failure. In order to do this, however, we need to know every module in SR3 that led to the rise of the AIs and the ultimate destruction of the Matrix as we know it in System Failure. I currently have Renraku Arcology Shutdown, so what else do I need?

OSUMacbeth
Probably the Greatest SR fan who has never played.
Cheops
Get Brainscan. It is by far the best adventure book that FASA/Fan Pro has put out. My group spent a year playing through it and it is still regarded as one of the best campaigns that we've played. My only suggestion when you run it is make sure to put lots of other runs in between the earlier runs in Brainscan so that players have less of idea about their connection. When you get to the end of the campaign then suddenly speed everything up.
OSUMacbeth
We have Brainscan, actually. I've spent some time looking through it, and have just come to remember that the arcology shut down just prior to SR3. As such, I'm also interested in any adventures prior to Brainscan that deal with the shutdown of the arcology and the rise of Deus, if any such adventures exist.

I must say, though, that after skimming through Brainscan I'm really eager to run through it, as the overview makes it sound like an incredibly awesome series of adventures.

OSUMacbeth
Probably the Greatest SR Fan who's barely played
Kagetenshi
I've become less of a fan of Brainscan over time, and it's certainly never been up to the standard of Harlequin's Back. That being said, it's still very good and is the primary (only, IIRC) adventure involved in the AI/Crash timeline until System Failure comes out.

~J
Kyoto Kid
Currently our group is right in the middle of it. Been enjoying it so far. especially since one od my characters is a Fallen Angel of the Seraphim. who was pretty messed up during her tenure as an agent for them (a little too much programming/deprogramming & a few too many Aliasofts).
Synner
The Deus plot line has roots waaay back in first edition (Morgana) but gets the spotlight in Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan and the fallout in Threats 2 since then the plot has been on the backburner but follow up references to the Network and Ex Pacis have appeared in the SOTA's and Loose Alliances.

Two novels also touch upon Deus/System Failure related material: Technobabel and Psychotrope.

I will note that SOTA:64 and Loose Alliances contain more hidden tidbits relating to this and other tracks in System Failure than are obvious at first sight.
Vector
SOTA:64 has at least one reference to a wireless network being pioneered in one of the locations mentioned... I don't remember which one off hand...
Nath
QUOTE (Synner)
The Deus plot line has roots waaay back in first edition (Morgana)

More precisely, the original Seattle Sourcebook already features the AI research project, involving Sherman Huang, Vanessa Cliber and Cham Lan Won. I mean, nearly from the start of Shadowrun, the Renraku Arcology had "candidate for mad AI takeover" painted in red on its facade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012