Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Did the Timelines Split?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
Sorry for asking this again, but I wasn't able to find an answer through the search function and the old forums are currently unavailable. When did the alternate Shadowrun timeline split from our own? The Timeline Explorer has an entry for 1989 but I could have sworn it was earlier that that.
otaku mike
Well, the timeline split several thousands years before our era, unless you consider Thera, the immortal elves and all the Earthdawn stuff to be an actual part of Earth's history... wink.gif
hyzmarca
Yeah, the timeline split in 1989 when SR1 was released. The divining metamagic isn't very accurate, especially in pre-awakening mana levels. FAFSA's predictions couldn't have been accurate.

However, psychometry is much more reliable. Everything in the Earthdawn metaplot is true.
fistandantilus4.0
Well, there is an island called Thera in the Mediteranean..... but that's just coincidence, they just used the name (.....right?)
SL James
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Sorry for asking this again, but I wasn't able to find an answer through the search function and the old forums are currently unavailable. When did the alternate Shadowrun timeline split from our own? The Timeline Explorer has an entry for 1989 but I could have sworn it was earlier that that.

hahaha

Plus ça change...
ShieldT
Off the subject. They did predict in PaNOA that Schwarzenegger was going into politics.

On subject. There was a really smart guy in the back forums (Crimsondude 2.0?? sorry if I'm attributing something to you ya didn't write, and apologies to the guy who did) who pointed out that as the Supreme Court judges who passed the Shiawase decisions had to be a different mix than those in our timeline, the split must have happened farther back to account for the appointees. Don't have his details but they convinced me smile.gif
Foreigner
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 27 2005, 10:38 PM)
Well, there is an island called Thera in the Mediteranean..... but that's just coincidence, they just used the name (.....right?)

fistandantilus:

You're right.

The island of Thera, now known as Santorini, is near the Greek island of Crete.

Most of the island was destroyed by a volcanic eruption--classified as a Category Seven on the Volcanic Explosivity Index, or "VEI"-- circa 1650 B.C.E.

To put that into perspective, the eruption that destroyed the Indonesian island of Krakatoa in 1883 was a Category Six (the equivalent of a 200-megaton H-bomb)--and the scale goes up to 8! The eruption of Tora in 1815 was a Category 7, and there was a Category 8 eruption in what would eventually become Yellowstone National Park millennia ago. Yellowstone has had three major eruptions in the last 2 million years (2.2 million, 1.3 million, and 600,000 years ago respectively), and the smallest of the three (1.3 million years ago) generated roughly 280 cubic kilometers of ash and dust. By comparison, the 1980 eruption of Mount Saint Helens generated only 1 or 2 cubic kilometers of debris.

However, I asked my GM (Sahandrian) about it some time back, and he says that, as far as he knows, the shared name is just a coincidence.

--Foreigner
ShieldT
Got the name right. This is his (CrimsonDude 2.0's) post from back in Oct 3 2003, ( 05:07 PM )

This is what I just quickly composed from the timeline and my own guess about the composition about the Supreme Court that decided the Shiawase and Seretech cases, a list that could be considered "Archconservative." The whole thing was based on the assumption that SR divierged from RL in 1989, although the first reference being in 1993 makes me rethink retirement of the Justices in 1987, 1990, and 1991. However, I think it's best to just assume this actually diverges in 1993 with one MAJOR exception--Since Chief Justice Burger stayed on until 1994, Justice Rehnquist never became Chief Justice in 1986, and Justice Scalia didn't take the seat he effectively vacated. Combined with canon, he would have actually retired ten years ago, which is nothing short of amazing because that means that SR canon as to the state of law diverged in 1986, effectively making the Shiawase decision (the Seretech decision is a bit more palatable) very much possible in the context of the changes to the other branches (e.g., how the conservatives stayed through the 90s.) to mean that there quite possibly was law to support the Shiawase decision during the whole privatization movement of the Lynch Administration--which is the only way I can even begin to imagine how extraterritoriality became possible.

1993-the first of the Supreme Court justices appointed during the Burger court leaves office.
* Blackmun (appointed 1970)

1994-Chief Justice Burger retires.
* Died in June 1995 IRL

1994-Terence Ordell appointed Chief Justice.
* Outspoken conservative law professor from the East Coast (Bork eqv.?)

1998-Three Burger Justices retired or dead.
* Rehnquist (appointed 1972)
* Blackmun (appointed 1970)
* White (appointed 1981)

Ordell Court (1994-?)
* Stevens (Ford-appointed 1975)
* O'Connor (Reagan-appointed 1981)
* Unknown Reagan Appointment (Hell, maybe Bork would have made it this time--appointed 1988)
* Souter (Bush-appointed 1990)
* Thomas (Bush-appointed 1991)
* Ordell (Lynch; 1994 successor to CJ Burger)
* Unknown Lynch Appointment (1993 successor to Rehnquist)
* Unknown Lynch Appointment (1993(?) successor to Blackmun)
* Unknown Lynch Appointment (1993(?) successor to White)

Edit: Oooh.. Valid Thread... Shiny rotate.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShieldT)
Crimsondude 2.0[…]

…May be closer than you think.

As mentioned, the divergence starts at the latest in '86. It becomes a completely different world in 1991 when the Soviet Union fails to dissolve.

~J
Cynic project
I would point out if the the natives in the US were left with slightly more people and land that would more SR more believable. Now I am not good with numbers but here are some of my guesses. In the reareal world something like 99% of all natives were killed if in shadow run the numbers were something like 85% of natives were killed the number of people in the NAN wouldn't be that far fetched and you still have the horror of the "Indian wars" .
arcady
QUOTE (otaku mike)
all the Earthdawn stuff

I thought all that stuff got retconned out with SR3e?
arcady
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jul 28 2005, 09:04 AM)
In the reareal world something like 99% of all natives were killed

More than 99% losses. Populations went from an estimated 300 million throughout the Americas to less than 30, with less than 1 million of that within the USA - where about one third to one half the pre Columbian population is believed to have been. This is -AFTER- major repopulation in the 20th century. At the end of the 19th century population numbers were so low that it was common belief they would simply die off naturally. The final solution was put forth by people such as the author of the Wizard of Oz (in his letters cheering the Wounded Knee massacre) as a way of preventing further bloodshed - wipe the last few of them out now while it is easy to do, as there will never be peace with them.

That's also after 400 years of contact with constant losses and then 100 to recover while being 'supressed', so the actual looses are much greater than just a cross between starting and ending totals (after all, if you compared pre WWII and modern Jewish populations and used that as your loss total - it would look like the European genocide boosted Jewish populations).

There's a severe issue with the NaNs of Shadowrun and their population figures. Especially given how early Shadowrun material used to say they pushed the non natives out of their territory. For that early material to be true, every native woman from about the 1960s on would have had to have been having 10+ surviving children. That during a time when birthrates were actually quite low as the US government was still using a policy of forced sterilization into the 1970s.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (arcady)
QUOTE (otaku mike @ Jul 27 2005, 07:50 PM)
all the Earthdawn stuff

It can't be retconned out. Remember, Earthdawn was spun off from Shadowrun. The ED links in SR were there before ED existed.

Retconning Earthdawn links out of Shadowrun would be like Retconning Jonnie and Chachi out of Happy Days or retconning Angel out of Buffy.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (SL James)
hahaha

Plus ça change...

Son of a...

My search-fu is severely lacking. *Hangs head in shame* smile.gif
SL James
Ah, it's no big deal. Just to let you know, though, I typed in "diverge" and looked for results as posts for all dates.
Ancient History
If it makes anyone feel any better, most of the pre-2001 changes can be explained away as lost/corrupted files during the Crash of '29.
Kagetenshi
Er, no, no they can't. Not unless everyone died or had their memories erased then as well.

~J
Ancient History
Pfft. Ask kids nowadays when the Societ Union collapsed. Nobody cares, and the people who do are more than willing to lie so history gets written they way they want it. It doesn't really matter much.

"Retcon my this...retcon me that...who ever heard of a blue-caped bat?"
SL James
What does that have to do with the goal of trying to determine the earliest point where the timeline diverged?
Ancient History
You can at your option push the divergance point a little farther down the line, is all.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (SL James)
Ah, it's no big deal. Just to let you know, though, I typed in "diverge" and looked for results as posts for all dates.

I tried everything I could think of except that one, including diverged. Damn you you rogue d! smile.gif

Still, I'm happy since this means it's possible to keep the Kowloon Walled City in place for some Hong Kong ideas I've been mulling over whilst waiting for SoA.
Bull
The original "official" split was 1989. But when 3rd ed was done, a few post-89 events were tweaked or added in to "update" it a bit. Since that time (I want to say before FASA closed, but may have been after FanPro picked the game up) it was decided that fiddling with "history" was taboo. No more retcons to fit "real" history.

<shrug>

And there may be other bits that can support pre-89 splits, but those really are inconsequential and generally uninetntional, I would guess.

Bull
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Foreigner)
However, I asked my GM (Sahandrian) about it some time back, and he says that, as far as he knows, the shared name is just a coincidence.

--Foreigner

I mentioned it becuase it's also (RL) one of the places that is looked at as possibly being the 'mythical' Atlantis as well. Although, like everything, that's changed a few hundred times.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (arcady @ Jul 28 2005, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (otaku mike @ Jul 27 2005, 07:50 PM)
all the Earthdawn stuff

It can't be retconned out. Remember, Earthdawn was spun off from Shadowrun. The ED links in SR were there before ED existed.

Retconning Earthdawn links out of Shadowrun would be like Retconning Jonnie and Chachi out of Happy Days or retconning Angel out of Buffy.

Did somebody mention Angel?

biggrin.gif cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012