Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aspected Way of the Mage Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Method
I have this idea for a character I've been in love with for years, and I want to finalize the character for a possible up coming game. Problem is I am currently without my MitS (loaned it to a friend that took it out of state) so I can't check the canon for the applicible rules.

My idea is to make a stealthy infiltration expert that uses a hybrid of magical and technological techniques. I would like to design her as a way of the mage adept (with stealth adept abilities like traceless walk) but also give the ability to cast illusion spells ONLY. I'm not interested in her being able to sling fire balls or heal anyone or counjer spirits. Just illusion spells.

So my question is: are there canon rules for ASPECTED way of the mage adepts? Can anybody think of a more eligant way to make this character work? Any thoughts? How's the weather? Is this thing on?!?!? wobble.gif
Rev
I am pretty sure there are no rules for aspected magical adepts.

The easiest way to do it yourself would be to just do it with the rules as they are. Take sorcery/illusion & no conjuring.
Herald of Verjigorm
An option is to take a geas that mimics the aspecting. So (assuming hermetic) she could have a water alignment geas on her magical power, restricting her magical options to illusion spells and water elementals. It'll also shave 25% off the cost of her magical abilities.
Method
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Jul 28 2005, 01:04 PM)
An option is to take a geas that mimics the aspecting.  So (assuming hermetic) she could have a water alignment geas on her magical power, restricting her magical options to illusion spells and water elementals.

Thats kind of what I was looking for.

It'll also shave 25% off the cost of her magical abilities.

How does this mechanic work at character gen? Is that 25% off build points or force points or what?
Ancient History
25% off power points. It's a reasonable way to go about it...after all, you spend, say, 2 points for Astral Perception, and then you can have 5 points of (Geased) Magic Power to play with as an aspected physical magician, as opposed to 4 points for generic.
Herald of Verjigorm
Voluntary geasa can be taken by adepts (including magician way) whenever they gain powers. The geas applies specifically to the power it is linked to, but makes them cost only 75% of the normal price.

Adepts and Geasa, MitS page 33.
Cain
You should also see if you can make the character an elementalist (water). That will give you two free dice when casting illusion spells, at no cost to this character.
Method
Cain that is an interesting option as well. Can elementalists also be adepts?

I really need to get my copy of MitS back. mad.gif

Maybe I'll DL a .pdf tomorrow when I get paid...
Glyph
I don't see why an adept of the magical way couldn't be an elemental mage - they can be hermetic, and it's essentially the same thing as choosing a Totem is for a shaman. You could be a water elemental mage for the bonus, then limit yourself with a water geas as well.

Remember that conjuring has interesting possibilities for a hermetic mage. Even if having a water elemental attack your enemies wouldn't fit your character concept, remember that elementals can also be used to aid sorcery and sustain spells.
Cain
Agreed. The only restriction is that the character must be hermetic; physmages are hermetic or shamanic or other, just like everyone else.
Method
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I just ordered a copy of MitS from Drivethru so I'll look up these rules (as soon as I can DL it... thier system had some kind of glitch and I'm waiting to hear back from their customer service guys...).
northern lights
method,

i've done what you're referring to many times. there is nothing in the rules saying you can't do that. like AH and HOV mentioned, i've usually worked it in with a geas on the magical power. take magical power level4, geas to being a shamanist (conditional for anyone really stuck on game mechanics) and pay 3 points for it. i've also had a GM who was even cool enough to let me on initiation, since the power was geased this way, spend .75 pp each time i increase this and get .25 worht of adept powers.

you could also look into a totem with nothing but illusion advantages. since you're kinda going that way anyway. what was the intended take on conjuring? spirits have the concealment power that would fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012