Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips a Tricks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Something Nxyll brought up.

How to design a Spell

Step 1: Concept
Spells tend to write themselves. The trick is to start off thinking about what you want to do, then think about how you want to do it. Generally speaking, its easier to build spells that are similar to those already presented in the rules - but don't let that limit you.
The important thing to remember in this step is that spells cannot affect space/time (no teleportation or time travel), and spells cannot summon, bind or banish spirits. It should also go without saying that spells should not create magical items.

For this example, let's say we choose to develop the analyze blood spell.

Step 2: Mechanics
Once you've decided on an effect, you need to determine how you're going to do it. Keep in mind a spell can only fall within a single category (combat, detection, health, illusion or manipulation) and tailor the effect around that. I find it easy to remember that magic is as often about illusion and misdirection as power. While some effects may be impossible by standard sorcery, the illusion of such an effect is often possible (imagine a spell that convinced everyone in the room you had teleported). Aside from category, it is important to discern between a physical and mana spell, and between an instant and sustained spell. Clearly identify the target of the spell. After that, everything else falls into place, although I offer a few caveats:
  • Keep the spell believable. No one wants to see you try to re-create the Great Ghost Dance as an exclusive spell.
  • Be careful with elemental effects. A spell should only ever use a single elemental effect, and you should be careful to think about the full implications of those effects.
  • Beware the Anyspell. I've seen this one a lot: someone thinks it'd be neat to have one illusion spell that mimics any other spell. That's fine and dandy, but it's generally impractical. Imagine seeing and feeling a fireball wash over you without damage, or a levitate spell fail to lift an object but it gives you a headache.
  • Creating servitor creatures has limits. Corps cadavres, animated objects, fine. Mobile humanoids of elemental fire or electricity should be right out. I know it's possible, but it tends to be crunchy. Use with care.
  • Permanent spells used in moderation. No +1 titanium/orichalcum alloy monoswords, okay kids?

Now, the analyze blood spell is obviously a detection spell. The information we want to learn is similiar to assensing: type of blood, any diseases present, how longs its been sitting there, etc. The target is a non-sentient object.

Step 3: The Math
You've got your options, plug 'em in. This is also the point where you can play with the spell by making it exclusive or fetish-dependant.

analyze blood
Type: Physical
Target: OR (generally 3, although blood heavy in symbiotes, nanites, drugs, alcohol or oxygenated flourocarbons may have higher TN at GM discretion)
Duration: Sustained
Range: T/D
Drain: +1(L)

This spell allows a subject to analyze a sample of blood, with the number of successes rolled on the test indicating the information known. The caster must touch the blood subject to the spell.

1-2 successes:
The general species of the being the blood belonged to (may give more than one reading if blood is mixed)
presence of nanites in the blood
some indication of the health of the being the blood is from (determined by oxygen, iron and vitamin levels, red vs. white blood cell count, etc.)
You will always recognize blood that comes from the same person whose blood you have analyzed before

3-4 successes: All the above, plus.
Presence of toxins or diseases in the blood
Presence of symbiotes or oxygenated flurocarbons in the blood
Whether the blood is a suitable ritual link

5+ successes: All the above, plus.
Presence of genetech proteins or immunizations
The exact Essence Index and Bio Index of the subject
Accurate diagnosis of any disease or toxin in the subject's blood
Whether the blood is suitable for purposes of enchanting (GM discretion)

Step 4: Have Fun
Create a source for your spell. Come up with a name and story for it. It needn't be a long one. Two sentances should always suffice.

"Oh, I came across this in the lab notes of some FBI forensic thaumaturgist I was dating. She called it Wright-Patterson's Hemothaumaturgical Analysis."

How to design an Artifact:

Step 1: Concept
Consider what you want to make. Popular fantasy fiction, comic books, etc. are all fantastic. Let's say we want to make Thor's Hammer.

Step 2: Codify
What is Thor's Hammer? Well, lessee...it's a magical weapon, throw lightning bolts, and it can control storms. Only the worthy can lift it. We could go on from there, but no need to go whole-hog (yet.)

Step 3: Build
Okay, as a magical weapon, Thor's Hammer is a weapon focus. What Force? Well, it's a pretty powerful artifact! Let's say Force 8. (Weak: 1-2, Average: 3-4, Strong: 5-6, Powerful: 7-8; etc.)

Now, we want it to cast lightning bolts...how are we going to do that? A sustaining focus wouldn't work, but a reusable anchoring focus would. Maybe we should just use a Specific Spell Focus and make lightning bolts easier to cast? Hmm. Let's hold on here for the moment.

Now, how the heck are we going to control the storm? Well, some Great Form spirits have the Storm power. That would work. Let's look at different spirits for a moment. <flip, flip> Well hey! A Great Form Spirit of Shango has the Storm power, and the Innate spell (Lightning Bolt) power to boot!

We decide on a Force (let's say 8, to match the Weapon Focus.) Now, we add that Thor's Hammer contains a Unique Enchantment: a free Great Form Spirit of Shango has been bound within with its True name.

Finally, we add a Rune Enchantment: only those who are worthy may lift (and use) the hammer. Let's say that "Worthy" equates to a total Willpower and Strength of at least 12 when added together.

Step 4: Fine Details
Basically, describe the focus, adding in some unusual materials.
Thor's Hammer is no smithy's tool, but a massive war-hammer. The head dwarfs that of a sledge hammer, and is formed from alchemically refined and radicalized meteoric iron, tempered in dragon spittle and etched with an ancient rune representing Yggsdrsl, the World Tree. The handle is short and thick, barely over a foot long, and wrapped tight about with thick leather. Truly a weapon fit for a troll of thunder!

Step 5: When the PC Wants To Build It
Now, you let the PC figure out how to build it.
For starters, they need the True Name of an appropriate free spirit.
Then, they need a few ranks in Rune Lore.
Now, they can design a Focus Formula, incorporating the True Name to create a unique enchantment.
After that, they run around collecting the raw materials, including exotic materials like radical meteoric iron and dragon spittle.
Now, they forge the hammer and enchant it.
Finally, they need to summon and bind the Free Spirit within the hammer.

Now they have a new toy. See, whasn't that easy?
bclements
I am intreguied by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, good way of putting down how you think thru an idea and make it happen. Now, I would just like to see the PC that makes Thor's Hammer grinbig.gif
(though the Ace of Winchesters would probably make an appearance sometime)
FrostyNSO
I have a concept for a spell, but have no idea on the "how" portion of the design.

Concept: I am locked inside my library (luckily I can create food/water) and want to design a spell to walk through the locked door, but not damage it. The door is a metal fire door.

Mechanic: Shape Metal?

AH needs a newsletter...That'd be bitchun.
Ancient History
Considered "Use Skill: Lockpicking?"

Metal deformation is possible, but from a practical standpoint you can /never/ get metal back into exactly the same shape. You'd probably have better luck designing a spell to give yourself a vampire-esque mist form.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012