Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thesis on cloning.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyxll
Thermaturgical Research into the limitations of cloning:

Cloning is a technical marvel of the twenty first century. Primitive cloning techniques started with replacing the DNA of an enucleated egg. In the pioneer days of cloning failure rates were extremely high, around (0.4% success rate) and the DNA of the fetus was the same as the donor, even though technically they were at an infant's stage of development.

Leonization was the single most important revolution in cloning techniques and the forced growth process. It allowed engineers to place the Mitochondria into an excellerated growth pattern. This state increased the demand for energy and reduced the time that a cell takes to divide. Once the subject has reached the required maturation, the mitochondria are "reset" to normal.
The number of times that a cell can divide before it expires, is reset through the leonization process. There are some side effects to the forced growth process.

1. there are small abberations that may occur in the process causing mild usally undetectable mutations.
2. parent memories are not transferred
3. the aura of the subject is a duplicate of the parent, but fades quickly and dies within days.

Although technically the DNA of the clone and parent are a 100% match, the two can look different. It seems that DNA is a blueprint for building a body, but the materials used in the process affect the completed structure. Clones do not always look like the parent. Many cells of the body contains a slightly different picture of the whole. Environmental factors such as free radicals, pollution and diet could affect individual cells creating slight abberations of the parent image.

Memories are not transferred to a clone, because the neural pathways are created through experience and are more that just chemical mass of the brain. It seems that the journey of the neural pathways, which are constructed through experience and sensory import, are just as important as where the signal stops in the brain. The furthermore the network map of the brain pathways are not stored in the DNA, which means that clone would have an effective blank slate for a brain. This finding also debunks the myth of genetic memories which arose in the early part of the century.

Ethical concerns of cloning.
Cloning in the awakened world is no longer an ethical issue. With the prolific bioware, and cyberware of society, there are concerns that the beings created for the purpose of harvesting an organ, are alive and have souls. People argue that removing the organ and killing the being should be considered murder. This paper's purpose is to dispel that myth.

With the rise of the magical awakening, the cloning process suffered a set back. For some unknown reason two beings cannot posses the same aura, on the same plane, and the clone will die within days of full maturation. (1.) The beings will twitch and move in the forced growth process, but the clone is no more alive than the severed frog leg that jumps when it is zapped with electricity.

There are lab assistant accounts that speak of clones smashing or rising out of tanks, causing havok in the lab, and a great amount of damage. In each of these cases, it has been proven that the cloned aura has departed and that a spirit has inhabited the body, animating it. (In most cases Shedim)

1. This spawned the question of whether one could assassinate a being by cloning a stronger aura that could sever the mature aura. This has not happened in the 50 years of leonized cloning. It appears, through detailed astral assensing of the process, that when the new clone is first given life, the parent aura inserts its dominance.
A new postulate has arizen, that if one could theoretically move the parent aura to another plane at the moment of the clone's inception, the parent aura could be dominated and usurped when it returns. This hypothesis has been tested by has yet to prove successful. This could give new meaning to character assassination.
Method
Interesting plot device you have here. It could be the hook for a great adventure.

It allowed engineers to place the Mitochondria into an excellerated growth pattern. This state increased the demand for energy and reduced the time that a cell takes to divide.

Is this the canon description of how leonization is supposed to work? If so its doesn't have a lot of basis in RL molecular biology. Increasing the number of mitochondria would increase the overall ATP production of the cell, but create an increased demand for carbon fuel sources and oxygen. This would have only a minor and indirect effect on cell division and while it could work on a cellular or tissue level, a whole organism like a clone would probably suffocate from hypoxia.

What seems more likely to me is the introduction of exogenous promoters/inducers of the "gateway genes" that regulate cell division.
Nyxll
This is definetely not cannon, just some musing and I have brewing as a part of a story.

As far as I know Leonization will reset DNa sequences to an earlier state.
I cannot remember the part of the DNA that stores what generation the cell is, but I would imagine that it gets reset. When this generation of cells divide the new cells will be young versions. I would think that the system would be flushed with flourocarbons to increase the oxygen supply as well as energy supply. Electrolytes and raw protiens for synthesis would also be consumed at a high rate.

As far as I can remember there are not too many details on the actual process.

My goal with this was to focus on the clone's aura.

Maybe I should stick to compiling content instead of developing it.
mmu1
The limiting factor on how quickly mitochondria produce ATP are not really the mitochondria themselves, but the rest of the body. If you mess with that, you need to adjust the delivery of both oxygen and nutrients - and even if you solve that (you might have to deal with the rate of oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange in the lungs in addition to adjsuting the oxygen capacity of the blood) I'm pretty sure you'd just be killing the person by doing this because of heat-dissipation problems.
Nyxll
Not really, you increase the heart rate, and immerse the clone in a tank. There are numerous tubes that will circulate chilled blood in and out of the body at multiple points to increase cooling, oxygen and nutrient flow. This is a forced growth process, and not a cheap one.
Method
Yeah, the science of accelerated growth gets a little sketchy when you start thinking too much about it.

I cannot remember the part of the DNA that stores what generation the cell is, but I would imagine that it gets reset.

They are called "telomeres" and genetisists are already working on enzymes that rebuilds them called "reverse telomerases". The description of leonization seems to imply this kind of process.

But to get back to the point, the magical/astral aspects of human cloning are really quite interesting.

Add to this the idea of mana-sensative or mana-induced genes (such as the meta-genes for goblinization, magical abilities or SURGE phenotypes) and the magical aspects of human cloning take on a whole new dimension....

For example, say you clone someone who has a dormant meta-gene that would have been active during early fetal development, but the preson is older than the awakening, or was alive before the SURGE started. Its posible that the clone will express that gene, since the ambient mana levels during its fetal development would exceed the threshold required for transcription/translation.

And what about cloning magical persons in power sites or where BG counts are present? Could you somehow boost thier inate magical abilites? Short lived super adept clone assassins?

This is a gold mine of weird science plot hooks.... vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012