Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Astelaron
Character with this edge starts the game with one contact that is a sugar Mama/Daddy. The Sugar Mama takes care of all the characters lifestyle expenses and may perform other services at the GMs discretion. Don't be upset if you are not their only lover/child.

Level 1 Sugar Mama/Daddy
Not exactly everything you dreamed of but at least the basics are covered.
Covers up to Low Lifestyle expenses.

Level 2 Sugar Mama/Daddy
Now this is better. You have your own telecom and if you're really sweet your
patron will let you borrow the car.

Level 3 Sugar Mama/Daddy
Your company is really appreciated. At this level expect lavish gifts. Infact, don't
be surprised when you get a new cyberdeck for christmas.

Level 4 Sugar Mama/Daddy
At this level it's not about the car or the house. No, it's all about the other
services. Somehow you've managed to hook up with one of Hollywood's elite or
corp billionare. Be carefull when explaining where you've been for the past
week. You wouldn't want to draw the enmity of your host. Don't think for a
moment your benefactor doesn't know what you are doing. You are a pawn
with 'benefits'.
Kagetenshi
I don't like it for reasons I'm having difficulty putting into words. Well, that and the fact that it's named the same as a flaw (save the misspelling).

~J
SL James
So would Level 4 be like an 8-point Edge, or what? At least 6, right?

Kagetenshi's right. A rename is in order.

But I could see how Level 4 creates certain... difficulties if played out well. It'd be kind of hard to be a runner if your face is in the tabloids, and leaving trace evidence behind or getting caught on sec cams would make your life that much more difficult.
Herald of Verjigorm
Lets see, it's a frend for life in high places who covers your lifestyle cost. The point value for the level 4 better be at least equivalent to 1,020,000 nuyen.gif and however many BP "friends in high places" costs.
Digital Heroin
I like the concept, as it's not entirely imbalanced at the lower levels given the benefit that can be gained from a relativly unintrusive Day Job flaw.

My suggestion, as a balance, the flaw: Baby Mama. The same scale would apply, except you are expected for legal or other (read: gangland whooping) reasons to support the mother/father of your child. This isn't the same as dependant, because you don't care for the little biter beyond monetary means.
Nyxll
I do not want to be discouraging, but I think that you are getting one heck of a free ride with these. I am ok with level 1 maybe level 2, but the others seem to be buying you a high and luxury lifestyle for next to nothing. 4 or even 8 points for a luxury lifestyle is a little over the top. Also they seem a little too easy to blow off. (unless you want to change them into a serious enemy)
SL James
Friends in High Places is a deuce.

And no one said that they'd be around for life. Converting this to a Flaw would, and should, be pretty awful for your character if you pissed off the contact.

Considering it to be like the magical group "Patron" you could use this Edge to account for a runner being a company man as well as a plaything.
Method
Maybe "Benefactor" would be a better name.
SL James
QUOTE (Astelaron @ Aug 2 2005, 12:58 PM)
Level 4 Sugar Mama/Daddy
  At this level it's not about the car or the house.  No, it's all about the other
  services.  Somehow you've managed to hook up with one of Hollywood's elite or
  corp billionare.  Be carefull when explaining where you've been for the past
  week.  You wouldn't want to draw the enmity of your host.

This might also be known as the Magnum, P.I. Edge.
RangerJoe
Ah, finally an edge for deckers who still live in their parents' basement. Not a sugar mamma/daddy per se, just a mamma/daddy.

"Mom, Dad, can I borrow the keys to the Americar?"
Nyxll
QUOTE (SL James)
This might also be known as the Magnum, P.I. Edge.

It really makes me shudder when I think about Higgins.

Old fat british guy, who never had any women around, keeping a playboy PI around.

Did they ever reveal the ID of Robin Masters?
SL James
No.
tisoz
QUOTE (Nyxll)
It really makes me shudder when I think about Higgins.

Old fat british guy, who never had any women around, keeping a playboy PI around.

His dad seemed to get around pretty well.

Higgins did have women around, he was just a gentleman, plus having an english stick up his bum.
Lindt
It is! Its the perfect geek-living-in-his-parents-basement edge. I love it. Consider it implmented as-it up to L3. After all, mabey his parents are independtly wealthy.

So note to self, dont post untill second cup of coffee...
Digital Heroin
It's not only perfect for the geek-in-the-basement, but for the boytoy of the wealthy widow or the senator's wife... such possibilities it has...
hyzmarca
The problem, of course, is roleplaying the interaction between the glorified gigolo and his "sugar mama." Some players would be unconfortable with that.
It is probably easier to just take day job :gigolo as a flaw. It would have the same uncomfortable roleplaying experience without the potential gamebreaking.
Shadow
Higgins was Robin Masters, they never announced it but it was heavily hinted at. He just liked who he was and didn't want to change that to be a celebrity.

Aside: I watched an interview with Tom Selleck recently where he hinted that Magnum might be returning to T.V.
Digital Heroin
Wait... Magnum returning to TV? As in with fresh material... that had best be a made for TV movie if anything... a new, more modern series would totally not be cool...
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The problem, of course, is roleplaying the interaction between the glorified gigolo and his "sugar mama." Some players would be unconfortable with that.
It is probably easier to just take day job :gigolo as a flaw. It would have the same uncomfortable roleplaying experience without the potential gamebreaking.

Someone inclined to take the flaw in the first place likely wouldn't have a problem being a he-ho...
Lindt
A little tweaking, and here is what I came up with. Note that 6 Build is on the level of crainial bomb, quadrapaligic and lightning reflexes 3.

Level 1 Sugar Mama/Daddy (1 bp)
Not exactly everything you dreamed of but at least some of the basics are covered.

Level 2 Sugar Mama/Daddy (2bp)
Now this is better. You have your own telecom and if you're really sweet your
patron will let you borrow the car. Affords a low lifestyle on gifts, bribes, and services rendered.

Level 3 Sugar Mama/Daddy (4bp)
Your company is really appreciated. At this level expect reasonable gifts. Infact, don't be surprised when you get a new cyberterminal for christmas. Provides a middle lifestyle, and possibly a few extragivant nights out.

Level 4 Sugar Mama/Daddy (6bp)
At this level it's not about the car or the house. No, it's all about the other services. Somehow you've managed to hook up with one of Hollywood's elite or corp millionare. You can get into most high class places with just the name of your 'friend', and a smile. But don't think for a moment your benefactor doesn't know what you are doing. You are a pawn with 'benefits'. Affords a free high lifestyle and use of the Ferrari.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 9 2005, 05:29 PM)
The problem, of course, is roleplaying the interaction between the glorified gigolo and his "sugar  mama." Some players would be unconfortable with that.

Someone inclined to take the flaw in the first place likely wouldn't have a problem being a he-ho...

But what of the other players who have no choice but to bear witness to his man-whoring?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012