Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapons of an Ancient World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dawnshadow
In days long past, when magic was nearing it's peak, a dragon rose to defend his lair from a beast of power named Ologoth, who had been hunting the dragon for years. The battle was long and fierce, and the Dragon, one of the greatest of his kind, was grievously hurt. As he lay, weakened and dying upon the sands before his lair, a meteor came down and drove his gloating foe into the earth. The dragon, whose name is forgotten to all but the most ancient of his race, lifted his head to consume the beast, and meteor, in flame. Ologoth was destroyed in his moment of triumph by fire -- but the meteor survived, though the metal was seared black. The dragon himself passed away -- the last of his life force spent destroying Ologoth.

It was years later that a smith found the skeleton of Ologoth, and black iron, purified by dragonfire. It was with runes carved from the Ologoth's teeth that the smith divined what had occurred. Using a fire made from the bones of the beast and following the formula crafted with the aid of a dark power that the smith, who took the name Ologothian, forged three blades. Each was exacting, and took the smith a year and a day to forge. Each was quenched for the final time in the beating heart's blood of a victim under the blood moon, according to a ritual of blood and shadow.

Each dagger held one trait in common -- they flew to the hand of the bearer when called Each also contained a powerful spirit, bound by true name to specific tasks.

The Soulstealer is the first of three daggers of rare power, crafted in ages past. The Soulstealer, meant to be the bane of warriors, was forged from meteoric iron, seared black in the flames of one of the greatest of Dragons, and quenched in the blood of one bitten three times by a vampire. The pommel is set with a human skull in miniature, of radical gold.

[ Spoiler ]

The Shadowbane is the second of three daggers of rare power, crafted in ages past. The blade meant to be the bane of spirits. The Shadowbane was forged from meteoric iron, seared black in the flames of one of the greatest of Dragons, and quenched in the blood of one possessed by a spirit of Shadow. The pommel is set with a human skull in miniature, of radical silver.

[ Spoiler ]

The Destroyer is last of three daggers of rare power, crafted in ages past. The Destroyer was to be the bane of magic. The blade was forged from meteoric iron, seared black in the flames of one of the greatest of Dragons and quenched in the blood of one whose gift of magic had been stolen. The pommel is set with a human skull in miniature, of unknown metal the colour of blood.

[ Spoiler ]

Opinions? Comments? Attempts to stick my head on a pike?
Quix
Cool!
Out of curiousity was there supposed to be curse on the 2nd dagger?
I really liked the the curses on the other two.
Dawnshadow
Nope, the second dagger has no additional curse.

That being said, it doesn't make you dual natured. It makes you astrally active. And the powers.. well, Astral Armour is the only one that doesn't have serious potential drawbacks to it. Astral perception that you can't turn off when you're fighting.. well, you don't want that against anything on the physical plane. And Shadow Cloak makes you even more visible when you're in good light.

If necessairy, it could be considered to give 'Spirit Bane: All' as a flaw though. I would expect spirits to really want anyone bonded to it quite dead, quite fast, after all.
DuckEggBlue Omega
When I started reading the story I thought they wound be like the Blood Swords from L5R. They sound like the kind of weapons that should eventually result in the demise of whom ever weilds them.
nick012000
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Nope, the second dagger has no additional curse.

That being said, it doesn't make you dual natured. It makes you astrally active. And the powers.. well, Astral Armour is the only one that doesn't have serious potential drawbacks to it. Astral perception that you can't turn off when you're fighting.. well, you don't want that against anything on the physical plane. And Shadow Cloak makes you even more visible when you're in good light.

If necessairy, it could be considered to give 'Spirit Bane: All' as a flaw though. I would expect spirits to really want anyone bonded to it quite dead, quite fast, after all.

A physical adept with Centering would be fine, because he won't take the penalties while Centering, because his attack is no longer purely physical.
Dawnshadow
I've never liked weapons that destroy their weilders as a matter of course. I'd rather have weapons that are created with evil, probably inherently evil (at least one of them would be).. but don't corrupt or destroy the weilder on their own.

The corruption is in the hands of the weilder.. and the destruction is in the hands of the people who would want to destroy the weapons. Who is the dragon that goes around destroying corrupted artifacts? She'd hate these. They are forged, after all, with blood sacrifice/death magic. So would the Order of Saint Sylvester, if they found out about them.

Adept centering would work against the astral perception penalties, definately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012