Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The beginings of Genetherapy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
Clicky

Looked cool and it could be a neat spark for a game.
Cray74
Next step: cloned human organs.
Combine that with this easy genetic engineering and you'll have bioware in no time.
Kyuhan
Holy crap I love that article. Combine it with the fact the CIA probably has tech 20 years ahead of our modern tech (and don't say it doesn't happen, look at the camera film they used on the Apollo missions, only recently did it get released as "modern high tech film"...40 years later), and that ethics don't really matter to shadow governments, and well, maybe we have super agents walking amongst us already. Food for thought.
the_dunner
Well, that article isn't quite cutting edge, but pre-supposing existing extremely modified humans probably isn't reasonable just yet. (Gene insertion technology is less than 15 years old. It's not something you can do in an organizsm much past the zygote stage. Even if we started doing that on humans immediately, there just aren't people old enough to be CIA agents.)
Kyuhan
But in 20 years where will we be? With all the talk of nano augmentation and nano gene therapy, it's perfectly plausible that in 20 years we're able to amp somebody already fully grown using a simple injection.

Now if they had this technology in secret 20 years ago, then by now they'd be at where I just said in my little futurist rant.
mmu1
What does this have to do with gene therapy?

I could order an off-the-shelf kit from any number of companies and start making gene-knockout mutants myself in my spare time. Doing so in mice rather than bacteria is just an issue of infrastructure and equipment.

As for CIA and super-agents... I don't get how anyone could look at the clusterfuck following 9/11 and still think of CIA as an organisation that's 20 years technologically of mere mortals and two steps ahead of everyone - unless they're just acting incompetent as a cover.
That, and I don't see what use a "super-agent" would be, and what he could do - assuming we're talking about reality, and not a Bond movie - that a normal human couldn't.

nezumi
QUOTE (mmu1)
As for CIA and super-agents... I don't get how anyone could look at the clusterfuck following 9/11 and still think of CIA as an organisation that's 20 years technologically of mere mortals and two steps ahead of everyone - unless they're just acting incompetent as a cover.

Unfortunately, they're 20 years behind management-wise. Ah, the joys of government work.
JongWK
This is true anywhere in the world.

Here in Uruguay, the Ministry of Education once received a large donation from Japan: state-of-the-art recording gear for it educational TV shows.

Due to "some" paperwork, they left it in a warehouse for, oh, ten years or so.
Talia Invierno
Heck, we've already created the world's first synthetic virus.
Kyuhan
There's that whole conspiracy theory that the US government allowed 9/11 to happen just so they could tighten their stranglehold on the world....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012