Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Go Medieval!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Link

The problem is that he didn't use a katana. silly.gif
Angelone
He should have used his lightning bolt spell.
Slacker
No, no, no....he can only produce lightning if you chop off his head.

As an aside, i wonder if wearing chainmail would enhance the effect of the taser?
Shadow
Seems like it would. At the very least it would add conductivity to your body.
hermit
Nope, as the taser fires darts that penetrate into the body, and doesn't rely on patching onto clothes, whether you wear chainmal or cotton wool shirts won't change much about the weapon's effectiveness.
Jrayjoker
See, that's why McCloed kept it a secret. Tasers.
Nikoli
Wasn't there an immortal that would do that? Would shoot them then decapitate them while they were down?
Shadow
QUOTE (hermit)
Nope, as the taser fires darts that penetrate into the body, and doesn't rely on patching onto clothes, whether you wear chainmal or cotton wool shirts won't change much about the weapon's effectiveness.

I don't think the dart would penetrate Chainmail. It would have to pass its charge through the iron/metal before it got to the body. Chain mail probably has a very low resistance, so low that it would pass the charge fully on I imagine.

I have never heard of a taser that actually penetrates your skin, usually they just fry you through your clothes.

It wasn't an immortal, it was the psycho watcher who killed immortals.
Nikoli
Ahh, thanks.

Man what a wierdo.
Slacker
Shadow, you may be confusing a stun gun for a taser.
A taser fires one or more small pins connected by a thin wire to the gun that transmits the electrical charge done the wire. With tasers I do believe the pins penetrate the skin at least in some minimal way. Depending on the size of the pin fired and the links used in the chainmail, the chainmail may or may not stop the pins.
A stun gun is a handheld device that does not fire anything at all. Instead you must press it against the person. When active it has a very visible line of electrical energy between its two prongs (and a somewhat unnerving sound to it if you ask me). With a stun gun it is unneccessary to touch skin because clothing does little to reduce the electrical charge.

Police and security typically use tasers, while stunguns are more common among civilians because they're more readily available.

Nikoli, I believe it was the rogue Watchers that were using tasers to incapacitate immortals and then chop off their heads, though it could also have been during the time when an immortal was having some regular humans shoot immortals with automatic fire so that he could then chop off their heads. My memory is bad and it has been a while since I watched any Highlander stuff.
John Campbell
Mail should* provide near-complete protection against contact stunners, especially when worn with a gambeson. The metal of the mail should provide a low-resistance path to ground for the current, diverting it from the higher-resistance path formed by your body, and the insulating layer of the gambeson should help keep the two paths separate. Result: Lots of current going through the mail, little going through your body, and not much stunning happening.

Tasers are trickier... you might get lucky and have one or both darts hit metal and bounce off without lodging, but more likely they'll just pass between rings and stick in, in which case they'll work fine.

* (I can usually speak with some authority on the care and feeding of mail, but I have to admit that I've never actually been stun-gunned while wearing my hauberk.)

And our swordsman, for all his thousand years of power, has apparently never learned Lesson #1 of confronting missile weapons with a blade: Range is NOT your friend. Speed and aggression are your friends.
fistandantilus4.0
'course they could hav ejust tagged him in the leg....

favorite quote from Blade 3 (very quotable movie, mostly just from Ryan Reynolds) "Of course it doesn't have the range of a sword.... "

Best part is the guy even looks like a nutter. Got that "I wanna be ranger Aragorn" hair going for 'em, that nice crazed look in his eyes..... Of course it really wasn't fair. The cops should've waded in with batons and D20's flying like he wanted. Cheaters.

Remember this next time you play an adept with a katana, and someone draws a gun.

Overwatch
1000 years of power < 10,000 VOLTS of power eek.gif

And I think I know some one who knows that guy...
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Overwatch)
1000 years of power < 10,000 VOLTS of power eek.gif

And I think I know some one who knows that guy...

I couldn't be happier unless he were a gamer. sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012