Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vietnam War Sterotypes mod for SR3!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Vietnam War Sterotype mod for Shadowrun

Here on DSF, a poster named Sabosect posted about PTSD sanity rules for Shadowrun here, in a thread discussing “the perfect run”: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=9349&st=0

The idea he put forth got me completely pumped up to make a “mod” for Shadowrun which emphasizes the chaos, terror, and violence of the firefights which the Shadowrunners get involved in. As it is, gun battles in Shadowrun are relatively lethal, but they also run smoothly, all the combatants are always perfectly efficient with their body movement and ammunition, and it’s easy to plan your actions like so many stages of clockwork because you always know exactly how long it will take you to complete a certain action, and for the most part no one ever does something stupid due to terror, mental trauma, or rage. This strikes me as being somewhat at odds with the gritty, desperate nature of many of the firefights depicted in Shadowrun artwork, and also seems more artificial and less compelling than the psychotic, screaming gun battles portrayed in popular cinema in the context of the Vietnam War. As I read through “the perfect run” thread carefully, I decided that if I made some rules modifications to SR3 to make the “look and feel” more closely resemble that of a typical Vietnam War film, I would actually end up with an improved version of Shadowrun; the Vietnam War mod Shadowrun would be dramatic, hard-hitting, and the characters would be forced to grapple more intensely with the violent and dangerous nature of their profession.

Therefore, the “Vietnam War Sterotype” may be implemented in your SR3 game by making the following changes:

1.) The mod uses Raygun’s guns for increased lethality and realism. Since single rounds from assault rifles now have a reasonable damage code and rate of fire, an entire team of runners using suppressive fire in frantic unison now becomes as dangerous as it should be.

2.) There are no more dodge tests. Dodge tests didn’t exist back in SR2, and SR2 had a much better gritty feel. Furthermore, nothing dampens getting your ‘Nam screaming freak on like being able to flail your arms like Neo and survive everything. However, you can still use your Combat Pool to help you avoid suppressive fire, since otherwise the suppressive fire rule wouldn’t work, and also because that represents how well you scrunch behind cover instead of how well you bend backwards at the knees and flail your arms.

3.) Reloading is now clunky and slow. Reloading is no longer just a Complex Action.

*Removing the magazine from your gun is now a Simple Action. You need to have a free hand to pop out your magazine, and the Simple Action puts the magazine in your free hand. You may then drop the magazine on the floor as a Free Action. If you have a Smartlink, you may eject the magazine and let it fall on the floor as a Free Action, but if you want to put the magazine in your hand it’s still a Simple Action.

*If you are holding your magazine in your hand you may slide it neatly back into your ammo pouch, but this requires a Simple Action.

*Drawing a new magazine from your ammo pouch requires a Simple Action, and inserting the magazine into your weapon also requires a Simple Action.

*If you are using a Cylinder-loading or Internal Magazine based weapon, you must first ready Qui rounds with a Simple Action, and then load Qui rounds with another Simple Action.

*If you don’t already have a round in the chamber, you must chamber, which in turn requires another Simple Action. If you have a Smartlink then chambering is a Free Action.

*Lastly, and very importantly, any of the Simple Actions described above may be performed as a Free Action if the character performing the action succeeds in a Quick Draw test for each Simple Action. However, if the magazines and ammunition are not being held in proper ammo pouches or bandoliers, the Quick Draw test is performed at a +2 TN penalty.

The net effect of these rules is that usually nimble people will be able to reload their weapons as quickly as usual, but there is always going to be the risk that under stress things might take a bit longer than you want.

4.) You can now go insane due to cumulative cinematic PTSD. Nothing is cooler than screaming, firing from the hip, and basically walking right out of a ‘Nam movie. Therefore, Sabosect’s idea should be implemented.

*Each character in the game gets a Sanity score which is equal to Willpower x 15, for a range of scores from 15 to 90. Once per “encounter” (where “encounter” is defined by the GM, like for karma refreshing), if the “encounter” involves intense combat, each character must roll Willpower versus a TN of 21, and add their Sanity score to their highest roll. If the player’s roll succeeds then he maintains his self-control. If he fails this test he begins cinematically PTSDing and goes berserk. This test may not be augmented with Karma Pool, although the player may find that he feels better if he says, “Get some, get some, get some” as his character runs about hosing everyone down.

*Characters lose Sanity points for participating in violent acts, provided they can see or astrally sense the effect of the violence they have unleashed; a character who sits in an air conditioned room all day firing cruise missiles at enemies he’ll never see won’t lose sanity, but someone who fires a missile from a helicopter and sees the resulting body and wreckage will lose Sanity. Each time a character kills a resisting and at least somewhat dangerous opponent in combat, he loses a single Sanity point. Each time a character kills more than one resisting and somewhat dangerous opponent in combat, or any number of potentially dangerous but unaware individuals (like sleeping soldiers or coffee-drinking rent-a-cops) he loses two Sanity points. Each time a character kills a helpless and non-resisting person, such as a prisoner, he loses three Sanity points, or five if he kills many such people. Finally, if a character kills an innocent he loses 6 Sanity points, and if he participates in some kind of horrible massacre he loses 10. These Sanity point losses are doubled for shamans whose totems have berserk rage as a drawback.

*The effects of going berserk are handled as per the default SR3 berserk rules for shamans, with the following modifications. Firstly, the character won’t attack his allies, but rather will only attack enemies and neutrals, unless the character is a shaman whose totem has berserk rages as a drawback; in such a case, he will turn on his allies if there are no more enemies or neutrals left to kill. Secondly, a character who has gone berserk will keep attacking and killing enemies and neutrals in a state of psychotic rage until the “encounter” as defined by the GM is over.

*Once per campaign, a character who has lost Sanity may attempt to regain it by visiting a psychological therapist. The psychiatrist makes an Open Test using his Psychology score and his highest roll is equal to the number of Sanity points that he manages to restore. Because psychotherapy is a pretty tricky thing it may only be rolled for once per campaign, and the character who is being treated must set aside a reasonable amount of time over the course of that campaign for his counseling sessions. The Sanity points probably should be regained at the very end of the campaign, but that’s up to the GM. A character can never have more Sanity points than his Willpower x 15.

*If you use karma to raise your Willpower score, you gain 15 Sanity points per Willpower point gained, since you’re entitled to more Sanity points for having a higher Willpower.

*NPCs theoretically also can fail their Sanity tests in a firefight. This actually can be used to help the GM help the players, because if things are going badly for the PCs the important NPC can always fail his Sanity test and start fighting boldly yet stupidly.

*Lastly, there is a new Edge available to players to balance all these Sanity rules out:

Edge: John Mullins
Available at 5 points, and at 10 points

A character with the John Mullins edge can massacre a thousand screaming enemies by day but can still sleep at night, provided he has a good pillow. This edge is named after real-world Vietnam vet John Mullins, who also was a character in the Soldier of Fortune series of video games.

At 5 points, this edge halves and rounds down the amount of Sanity loss each time the character loses Sanity.

At 10 points, this edge practically transforms the character into a Soldier of Fortune II whirlwind of one-man army death. The character never loses Sanity, ever.

With all that being said, I dedicate this “mod” to Richard Rouse, the man who learned everything he knows about war from Full Metal Jacket for the purpose of making a video game about modern conflict.
ShadowDragon8685
notworthy.gif rollin.gif rotfl.gif

Need I say more?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
However, you can still use your Combat Pool to help you avoid suppressive fire, since otherwise the suppressive fire rule wouldn’t work, and also because that represents how well you scrunch behind cover instead of how well you bend backwards at the knees and flail your arms.

What a coincidence, that's exactly what Dodge Tests represent (and don't represent, respectively).

~J
FrostyNSO
What, no mechanic for falling creepily in love with the vietnamese girl who's village you just levelled?
tisoz
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 14 2005, 03:09 PM)
Dodge tests didn’t exist back in SR2, and SR2 had a much better gritty feel.

They may as well have. They used a similar rule whereby if the target's Combat Pool dice (what gets used for the Dodge Test) alone were enough to exceed the attacker's successes, the attack was a complete miss, if not they staged down damage (pretty much how dodge works).
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
3.) Reloading is now clunky and slow. Reloading is no longer just a Complex Action.

Why? If Val Kilmer can reload a CAR-15 in 2 seconds, I think my PC with Assault Rifles 6 is surely up to the task.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 14 2005, 04:09 PM)
However, you can still use your Combat Pool to help you avoid suppressive fire, since otherwise the suppressive fire rule wouldn’t work, and also because that represents how well you scrunch behind cover instead of how well you bend backwards at the knees and flail your arms.

What a coincidence, that's exactly what Dodge Tests represent (and don't represent, respectively).

~J

Yeah, well, I always felt that dodge tests really messed up the feel of the game. To me, it always felt like people were bending backwards at the knees. It's a matter of opinion vis a vis feel, isn't it?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
It's a matter of opinion vis a vis feel, isn't it?

It's a matter of getting stuck up on alternate definitions of the name and not being able to just accept that it was the best, easiest term that would get most of the point accross. Or if you ever played with a GM who liked to describe dodging bullets in flight as some hybrid of The Flash speed movement and Max Payne bullet time.
ShadowDragon8685
Personally, I like the bullet-time effect. And really, when you're running Wires 3 and can see the world in bullet-time, why the heck not?

I guess it's all about how you like your Shadowrun. I like mine to be cyberpunk but with minimal 'ugly' cyberpunk - cyberware is best not visible, IMO - and with a splash of bullet time. Easy on the magic, chummer.

Some of you may be absoloutely fine with summoning Force 8 Great Spirits to raise hell and kain, but can't stand the thought of someone going all Neo out of the path of a bullet.

*shruggery*
Crusher Bob
Heh, so board certfied psycologists are the only way to regain san under your system. This must be why ninjas are so famous for flipping out and killing people, it's because in the ninjas never had psycologists to talk to back at ninja HQ.

I was lucky enough to attent so neat lectures that state PTSD (as specifically defined) is a relatively modern disorded. The 'PTSDs' of past ages has different symptoms and different 'trigger conditions'. It was the lecturer's contention that the trigger conditions and effects of the same underlying 'condition' were determined by the societies that the 'subject' grew up in.
Birdy
The ideas sound nice but honest question: Wouldn't it be easier to use a totally different system instead of trying to fix a combat system that isn't geared for that kind of realism? SR is "heroic" and "survivable" with seriously broken weapons etc. While Raygun may have fixed it, he also breaks the "KISS" idea of SR combat.

Besides, for a proper NAM-style scenario we still lack the rules for Napalm, Punji-Sticks and Surfboards.

Birdy
The Grifter
And remember kids, Charlie don't surf.
ShadowDragon8685
No, but he do burn good.
The Grifter
Yes, and he smells like....victory.
wagnern
Do you know how hard it is to find a Vietanemese man named Charley?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Birdy)
The ideas sound nice but honest question: Wouldn't it be easier to use a totally different system instead of trying to fix a combat system that isn't geared for that kind of realism? SR is "heroic" and "survivable" with seriously broken weapons etc. While Raygun may have fixed it, he also breaks the "KISS" idea of SR combat.

Besides, for a proper NAM-style scenario we still lack the rules for Napalm, Punji-Sticks and Surfboards.

Birdy

want napalm? take a look at the incediary and white phosphorus grenades in CC, but scale up the area off effect. or maybe just go with the mortar variant silly.gif

hmm, i wonder. would a mortar round dropped from a aircraft be compareable to a bomb?
Crusher Bob
The mortar described in fields of fire is a light, man-portable 60mm mortar. The expmosive charge is around 1.5-2 kg or so. A bomb dropped from an airplane will range from 250kg to around 1000kg. There is some current development in the US on 'small diameter bombs' which would be around 125 kg, but they are closer to unpowered missiles than actual bombs. In all cases, the explosive filling of the bomb is usually half of the bomb weight, with the other half being devoted to fragment production. In any event, the round from a 60mm mortar dosen't even come close
Clyde
Casing weight probably wouldn't be half the weight of an incendiary round: with HE the cases are thick to form fragments.

I'd like to see some rules on "Fog of War" and panic under stress. The consequences of a gunfight would make some meaty roleplaying in a game dedicated to that - but would be distracting otherwise. On the other hand, SR posits that characters have pretty good situational awareness at the beginning of and during most fights. They don't flinch when shot at - having a fireball go off next to you doesn't do anything to throw off your aim when it doesn't actually damage you, etc. I mean really, if a sheet of flame damn near overtakes me I might jerk a couple shots off target.

Maybe some kind of situational modifiers for panic and an increased ROF are the way to go?
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Clyde)
increased ROF

This would be something worth exploring for sure. In addition, to heightened rate of fire, don't forget when nobody can understand what your saying on the radio because your shouting too fast.
Birdy
QUOTE (Clyde)
Casing weight probably wouldn't be half the weight of an incendiary round: with HE the cases are thick to form fragments.

I'd like to see some rules on "Fog of War" and panic under stress. The consequences of a gunfight would make some meaty roleplaying in a game dedicated to that - but would be distracting otherwise. On the other hand, SR posits that characters have pretty good situational awareness at the beginning of and during most fights. They don't flinch when shot at - having a fireball go off next to you doesn't do anything to throw off your aim when it doesn't actually damage you, etc. I mean really, if a sheet of flame damn near overtakes me I might jerk a couple shots off target.

Maybe some kind of situational modifiers for panic and an increased ROF are the way to go?

Look at one of the two GURPS Compendiums (IIRC CII) for 3. ed, they have rules for Stress in combat etc. in it.

Birdy
Birdy
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
The mortar described in fields of fire is a light, man-portable 60mm mortar. The expmosive charge is around 1.5-2 kg or so. A bomb dropped from an airplane will range from 250kg to around 1000kg. There is some current development in the US on 'small diameter bombs' which would be around 125 kg, but they are closer to unpowered missiles than actual bombs. In all cases, the explosive filling of the bomb is usually half of the bomb weight, with the other half being devoted to fragment production. In any event, the round from a 60mm mortar dosen't even come close

IRL the smallest WWII bombs where around 2kg (SD-2) dropped from a special dispenser (Schüttbombenbehälter - WWII Cluster Bomb) by the german AirForce.

Smallest IRL single bombs in common WWII use where 50kg units, used by some fighters and Air-Ground planes.

The smaller bombs where used mostly against infantry and have been displaced IRL by the Cluster Bomb Units, 2.75'' FFAR and Napalm (Both late WWII developments).

With stone&mortar, brick&mortar or concrete being the three common building styles in the "planned" region of WWIII, small bombs where quite useless. With the increased carry weights of the planes (An F4F Phantom II carries more load than a B17 or B24) small bombs lost their last area of existence (Fighters)

Birdy
hobgoblin
QUOTE (birdy)
With stone&mortar, brick&mortar or concrete being the three common building styles in the "planned" region of WWIII, small bombs where quite useless. With the increased carry weights of the planes (An F4F Phantom II carries more load than a B17 or B24) small bombs lost their last area of existence (Fighters)

WWIII? did i miss one or something? silly.gif

crusher bob, there are a heavyer version in sota:63 for vehicle mounting. and allso a light howitzer.

still, whats the problem of taking the same basic effect as both the explosives i listed and basicly upscale them? like say putting a extra 0 into the area of effect? that would give you about 200 m2 of incendiary cover and about 150 m2 of the other stuff.

only problem then is calculating weight. but taking comparable mortar rounds and just upscaling them in the same manner should give ok results. basicly this stuff was a fuel tank with a ignition system used for area denial and taking out massed troops. not a building destruction bomb.
Birdy
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 16 2005, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (birdy)

WWIII? did i miss one or something? silly.gif

Depends on when and where you were borne. Over here in germany every male born before 1971 got an invitation to participate in "The world's biggest Twilight 2000 LARP".

But before the event could be staged, one of the organisers collapsed and so the thing never got beyond some stage tests. But the story line sounded nice:

Day 1: The Red Flood steamrollers Team Littleblue
Day 2: The Red Flood steamrollers Team Littleblue
Day 3: The Red Flood steamrollers Team Littleblue and Team BigBlue drops conventional bombs on Red's frontline area
Day 4: The Red Flood steamrollers Team Littleblue and Team BigBlue drops conventional bombs on Red's rear area
Day 5: The Red Flood steamrollers Team Littleblue and some parts of Team LittleBlue make clandestince contacts with Team Red for backstabbing other parts of Team LittleBlue
Day 6: The Red Flood steamrollers Team Littleblue and Team BigBlues ground forces
Day 7: Team BigBlue invites everyone to a big Barbeque in Fulda Gap.

Birdy
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Heh, so board certfied psycologists are the only way to regain san under your system. This must be why ninjas are so famous for flipping out and killing people, it's because in the ninjas never had psycologists to talk to back at ninja HQ.

I was lucky enough to attent so neat lectures that state PTSD (as specifically defined) is a relatively modern disorded. The 'PTSDs' of past ages has different symptoms and different 'trigger conditions'. It was the lecturer's contention that the trigger conditions and effects of the same underlying 'condition' were determined by the societies that the 'subject' grew up in.

This is supposed to be cinematic and sterotypical, not t3h r43l internet psych0lo0gy. Of course that's not really how PTSD works.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Clyde @ Aug 16 2005, 12:03 AM)
increased ROF

This would be something worth exploring for sure. In addition, to heightened rate of fire, don't forget when nobody can understand what your saying on the radio because your shouting too fast.

One thing that has always irked me about SR is how you can be extremely economical and precise with your ammunition, even when using full auto fire. I think that higher ROF and perhaps a little bit of randomization towards how many rounds you discharge could go a long way.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (wagnern)
Do you know how hard it is to find a Vietanemese man named Charley?

I once knew a Chinese guy named Chi Lee. Guess what we called him behind his back...

In my defence, he would have been ridiculed no matter what his ethnicity.

He was an idiot. (and probably still is)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012