Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Real Life] Modern Mercenaries
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JongWK
New York Times story

To log on, use "Dumpshock" as ID and "Forum" (no "s") as password.

Note that these kind of articles tend to be moved to the "pay-to-read" category after a week or so.
Grinder
Nice article that gave me a lot insight into merc business today. Not really glamourous, despite the "rockstars like to work with rockstars" quote.
hermit
Awesome. Thanks for sharing, Jong! smile.gif
imperialus
It is an interesting read. You don't just see them in Iraq or doing goverenmental work though. When my dad was working for an oil company in Equador and Columbia they hired a British firm to provide security, the head honcho of which was a former SAS vetren of the Desert Storm. Most of their efforts were focused on training locals hired by the company but there was still a core of about 20 company members that provided security on the wellsites and for visiting VIP's.
Demonseed Elite
I liked the line about the armored Mercedes that Triple Canopy bought from the Sultan of Brunei's collection, after they had been rented to rappers.
Grinder
Wonder if they removed the sound system too. biggrin.gif
hermit
This brings up an interesting question: Do SR megacorps rent out their forces? I mean, they're corps, after all, and as the Sierra Leone example shows, a small, dedicated force of well-armed and trained men can kick a much larger, but disorganised, force around quite efficiently.

In that respect, maybe the UCAS government could contract Ares' Firewatch teams to do some of their dirty work in the Caribbean or the border regions to Sioux, for instance. MET 2K is established as an army for hire, granted. But all megacorps have standing forces that don't quite generate revenue (ultimatly, that is what a company is interested in, isn't it) just standing around shining their armour and looking mean.

And to tie in with LA, the UN could, for instance, hire SK and other corporate forces to help protect a mission somewhere or to serve as a backup for blue helmets. Even the (ahem) Berlin upgrade in DidS2 could be cnsidered a German government action subcontracted to corp strike forces (though I'd like to see the city returned to state control. Corp states stink).
Sicarius
My brother used to work for Triple Canopy before they lost their contracts in Iraq. Than he did a stint with Black Water. Its funny that these things are just now getting attention, when Executive Outcomes was working in Africa you hardly ever heard about it.
Demonseed Elite
This brings up an interesting question: Do SR megacorps rent out their forces?

I'm sure they do. Afterall, there are tons of privatized law enforcement corps in SR (including Ares' Knight Errant). Ares also runs Hard Corps, which is somewhere in between law enforcement and a private military, contracted out in relatively lawless places.

hermit
QUOTE (Sicarius @ Aug 15 2005, 06:16 PM)
My brother used to work for Triple Canopy before they lost their contracts in Iraq. Than he did a stint with Black Water. Its funny that these things are just now getting attention, when Executive Outcomes was working in Africa you hardly ever heard about it.

QUOTE ("Daniel Bergner @ a contributing writer for the NYT")
The Department of Defense is reluctant to discuss the role of security companies in Iraq and precisely how it got so big.

I think that's it. They try to keep a lid on that. Myself, I knew about Executive outcomes, but I had no idea that mercenaries were that big a business in Iraq.
Backgammon
Yes a very good read. It is an interesting question to think about the "erosion" of army special forces to private contractors. I got the feeling that the private companies mostly hire retired special forces, which is ok. But as the article says, when men start leaving their units for the higher pay (who can blame them), that sorta creates a problem I'm sure the governement is wary of.
Sicarius
IMHO the problem may come from the Armed Forces spending more focus on recruiting than on retention. Someone a little closer to the debate may be able to comment more intelligently than myself on that though.

hermit
Is that really a problem? Think of it this way: The government subcontracts it's special forces to some degree to private parties. If these soldiers are caught doing soemthing really nasty (like burining down villages, executing babies or something to that effect), it won't fall back on the government as mucbh as if that had been done by a giovernment team, and the government can just say "those wacky mercs" and award the firm's contract to another company. The soldiers, on the other hand, get better pay for the same work. A classic win-win.
nezumi
In a way it's true that selling out these services are good. It reduces the costs to taxpayers significantly, helps us avoid bad PR, we're saving the number of people sent over who don't want to be over there (like all the national guard people who just signed up to pay their college debt off) and capitalism will encourage the contractor to be ingenious in ways the US military isn't always willing to try.

But the problem is that this is our MILITARY. Would you let contractors run your firewall and IDS if you ran a company? I wouldn't. There are some parts of your business you want to keep fully under your control.
hermit
But the problem is that this is our MILITARY. Would you let contractors run your firewall and IDS if you ran a company? I wouldn't. There are some parts of your business you want to keep fully under your control.

The Pentagon does have them under complete control, by being the only party that grants contracts. Besides, the Pentagon lets it's Firewalls and net security for the most part be handled by contractor firms too. Supplies is privatised to Halliburton.

It may not be the glossy US army as presented in JAG and Tom Clancy novels, but privatising the nasty business to mercs is only a logical step.
Grinder
QUOTE (hermit)
Besides, the Pentagon lets it's Firewalls and net security for the most part be handled by contractor firms too. Supplies is privatised to Halliburton.

Surprise, surprise. sarcastic.gif
Canis
Does make you wonder if the gov'ment might one day privatize things like law enforcement, watch out for Lonestar. Private corps are almost always more efficient than gov run institutions, so governments like to use them when they can. I used to work for Lockheed (as a bureaucrat not an engineer) and it's kind of odd to realize that the military’s fancy high tech equipment is designed and built by corporations (sometimes even foreign corps) rather than the military itself.
Grinder
Over here in germany a few hospitals had been privatized and are much more efficent (in terms of costs) than most government-run clinics.
hermit
Does make you wonder if the gov'ment might one day privatize things like law enforcement, watch out for Lonestar. Private corps are almost always more efficient than gov run institutions, so governments like to use them when they can.

In the US, that's indeed a feasible possibility. Much less in Europe, where state servants have a special legal status.

Private security companies usually are indeed much more efficient than government forces, but also a lot more prone to unethical behavior. Depends on how much abuse you want to bear to have a cost-effective government.

I used to work for Lockheed (as a bureaucrat not an engineer) and it's kind of odd to realize that the military’s fancy high tech equipment is designed and built by corporations (sometimes even foreign corps) rather than the military itself.

Ever since industrialisation, companies have handled arms production. No, even before that. Hell, Cesar bought his legionnaires' arms from the Celts, because they had the best steel available at that time. I see nothing ofdd about that, unless you glorify the military overduly that is.
SL James
QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 15 2005, 12:26 PM)
Does make you wonder if the gov'ment might one day privatize things like law enforcement, watch out for Lonestar.

I doubt it.

Police unions can make or break municipal elections. Any politician would be wise to mess with them at their peril. Only in very rare cases could something like that be pulled off successfully, most likely in small towns, most likely in the west. East coast cities like New York... Never. There are too many cops (NYPD has over 40,000) you'd have to replace with too much political and symbolic power.

However, you might see things like the L.A. Sheriff's Department providing contract services to the City of Compton to provide police services after the Compton PD was abolished or State Police providing police services in remote areas if the Sheriff is overwhelmed, although this usually happens when there isn't a Sheriff's office for fill-in-the-blank reason.
JongWK
QUOTE (hermit)
Awesome. Thanks for sharing, Jong! smile.gif

You can show your appreciation by clicking on the "Brainzzz..." link below. C'mon, it won't hurt you... wink.gif
Canis
Actually, I don't really think private police will really happen in the forseeable future, largely for the reasons that SL James and hermit said, in general the gov likes to keep tight control of police so mercs are unlikely but who knows. And I knew that the military used contractors before I worked at Lockheed, but I was part of the interface between the gov and the company and it's a bit weird when you see it up close.
SL James
Besides, there's ZERO money to be made in government policing. THis isn't like running a prison or protecting a gated community. You can't offer to provide investigative services on the cheap because if you cut a corner and blow a murder case, the public will be all over EVERYONE'S ass from the DA to the mayor to the CEO of Cops For Cheap, LLC (People are weird that way).

They could contract patrol officers. I know people who've been pulled over and ticketed for moving violations by USC's campus police five blocks away from campus on city streets. Shit, I know people who've had guns pulled on them by UPDs (not just SC's). I can't drive between any two major cities here in "PCC" without having to worry about local, county, state and tribal police, plus the Border Patrol, all (excepting BP) of which have the legal authority to pull me over on the interstate because states can given police powers to whomever they want (and the states get this particular power from the federal government to police interstates as state right-of-ways). This is the same way Shaq is a Deputy U.S. Marshal, BTW, and Richard Clarke was one until he retired from the government. Police powers are a fundamental sovereign power of the State, and the State can extend that power to whomever it likes.

I know there's a whole industry, and a whole history of private security doing everything from close-protection security (bodyguarding), force protection, rsik management and mitigation, and investigations. I knew this before I read the Times yesterday (It's more fun to read the panels like they're to a comic book with the NYT Magazine in one's hands. Pthbbt). I knew this the morning I reloaded Executive Outcomes' website and it went black (EO, IIRC, is now part of Sandline) becausing I was reading about the UN investigating human rights abuses in Sierra Leone, and the Russian helicopter pilots DeBeers hired to protect their mines. I'm just waiting for when these guys come back to the U.S. and are providing close-protection security for VIPs, or supplementing local or state or even federal Homeland Security personnel the next time there's an Orange Alert.

To share my own story, a long-time friend who just came back from Iraq mentioned dealing with some ex-SF mercs whom he described as, "overweight forty year-olds who are better than you at everything" which I found amusing for some reason.
FlakJacket
Just for a little thread necromancy and fun, thought I'd throw out a link for Frontline's Private Warriors documentary about private security contractors in Iraq. You can either watch in online at the site or there are torrent files of the show floating around. It's not half bad.

Oh and the NY Times story for anyone interested but not wanting to pay to read it.
FrostyNSO
Hey Flak, bitchun link, I'm gonna watch that at my next post!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 15 2005, 01:06 PM)

The Pentagon does have them under complete control, by being the only party that grants contracts. Besides, the Pentagon lets it's Firewalls and net security for the most part be handled by contractor firms too. Supplies is privatised to Halliburton.

It may not be the glossy US army as presented in JAG and Tom Clancy novels, but privatising the nasty business to mercs is only a logical step.

Really, I'm sure that many military and paramilitary would be happy to grant a contract to the company that controls the Pentagon's firewalls. I'm sure there are plenty of military and paramilitary groups that would be happy to contract that firm to put several easily accessable back doors into vital networks. The real question is how many can afford to pay more than the Pentagon is paying. The problem with mercenaries is that they are only as loyal as your purse is full. The seond someone can pay more, BAM! the States a British colonies again.
Fresno Bob
Just don't let your mercenaries come into contact with enemy officials.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Just don't let your mercenaries come into contact with enemy officials.

Today's allies are tomorrow's enemies. You can't isolate your mercenaries from everyone.

If they are smart, your mercenaries are based out of a neutral nation, anyway.
Fresno Bob
Well, mercenaries are outlawed by the Geneva convention anyway. I don't see why they were, but thats notwithstanding. Assuming the US keeps following the Geneva conventions, at least in regards to things that aren't torture, the only mercenaries we face as it is will be enemies. So theres a bridge we just crossed.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The real question is how many can afford to pay more than the Pentagon is paying.  The problem with mercenaries is that they are only as loyal as your purse is full.  The seond someone can pay more, BAM! the States a British colonies again.

Well it would have to be one hell of a fee because once word got out about it you'd never be able to get another job again and you'd have the Feds on your ass for the rest of your life as well. And since US courts don't care how you come before them, hiring someone to track them down and then toss them over the property line of the nearest US Embassy or Consulate means extradition isn't a problem.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The real question is how many can afford to pay more than the Pentagon is paying.  The problem with mercenaries is that they are only as loyal as your purse is full.  The seond someone can pay more, BAM! the States a British colonies again.

Well it would have to be one hell of a fee because once word got out about it you'd never be able to get another job again and you'd have the Feds on your ass for the rest of your life as well. And since US courts don't care how you come before them, hiring someone to track them down and then toss them over the property line of the nearest US Embassy or Consulate means extradition isn't a problem.

You mean British courts. I clearly specified that all US States would become British colonies again. This implies that the US government would cease to be. I doubt that people would take the risk unless they were suce they could do it right.

Of course, such situations are most profitable with extraterritorial weapons manufacturers selling bigger and badder guns to each side in turn.
toturi
And with the soft power of the American economy, people who do hire mercs against the US will end up being pariahs(other than being hailed as heroes by other outcasts, but...)
Paul
QUOTE (SL James)
Police unions can make or break municipal elections.

Depends. Some places have more clout than others.

Here in Michigan the State Troopers Union has a lot of clout, more so than is commiserate with what they do in a lot of peoples opinion.

The Sheriff's association has some clout, but in a lot of cities here in Michigan both Sheriff and State Police are going to store front policing. (9-5)

Local city unions depend on the size. Detroit has juice, but Grand Rapids and Lansing PD's could't get a break if they tried.

My own union, the Michigan Corrections Officers union is a lame joke when compared to California's Corrections Officers Union.

But I imagine it's like this everywhere. Oh and haven't you heard? There's no money in private prisons, just ask the legislature....biggrin.gif
Sicarius
I think looking at the private contractors in Iraq and elsewhere as strictly Mercenary, and taking into account the old Machavellian concepts that they can't be trusted, are only in it for money etc, Is a mistake.

Most of the guys in these Security contracting companies are nationals, and former serviceman of the countries they are working for. Americans working for American Companies on American Contracts, trained and (i'll risk the word) indoctrinated in the American Armed Forces. Even if the enemy forces (I'm an American, so my country's enemy anyway for those of you from non-affiliated countries) were to have enough money to hire them, its somewhat absurd to think that they would take it.

Despite the quest for cold hard cash, (and you can't ignore that element), the people doing this work do have a degree (even a strong degree) of patriotism/nationalism.

Even if you want to say that the Corporations that dole out the contracts, or the smaller companies that take them, are multinational, their people aren't.

Now, in a un-related operation, where the contractors are serving someone other than their actual "home" country, things might get a little more questionable.
SL James
You mean like the mercs working for DeBeers?

Also, the article mentions that even in these American companies there are also a lot of foreign national (Ukrainians, South Africans and South Americans) working for these corps as the sub-"rock star" level. British merc companies have hired a lot of Russians and national from former colonies from India to South Africa to "miscellaneous".
Paul
QUOTE (Sicarius)
Despite the quest for cold hard cash, (and you can't ignore that element), the people doing this work do have a degree (even a strong degree) of patriotism/nationalism.

Well you could, but that'd be crazy!

Seriously though, look at this way. You ever do something you thought was the right thing to do, bu it turns out to be harmful or hurtful to someone or something? Ever been on a Shadowrun that turned out to be something different?

I'm not saying this happens all the time, or anything, just that it's possible?
Whizbang
Argh...apparently I was too slow to see this, and it's pay to read now. frown.gif
Sicarius
QUOTE (SL James)
You mean like the mercs working for DeBeers?

Exactly like them.

I just have trouble holding with (and this is big in Shadowrun) the whole idea that people working for companies, or even companies themselves, drop their nationalities, just because they are "multinational" or do business abroad. now the AAA's are in fact legally their own soveriegn entities, but I find it hard to believe that they all of a sudden drop their loyalty to their countries of origin. As my own example, My father worked for a corporation, which sent us overseas to a number of countries. My father, and to a lesser extent myself, are very likely to give the Corporation the benefit of the doubt when challenged (sued or whatever) by other organizations we have no affiliation with. But we're also more likely to give our nation the benefit of the doubt over others as well.

I would see the sixth world as expanding that sort of link. People who work for Ares, are Pro-Ares against other companies, but they are also probably pro-UCAS. especially since the link between their company and the country are very close.slowly that might change. but 70 years I don't think is enough time. People have been loyal (some fanatically so) to countries for a long time, to think it'll be abandoned in a handful of decades.

Taking someone out of their former country's uniform, and calling them a Merc isn't going to change their attitude. Now, as you say, hiring foriegn nationals, means they'll likely uphold foriegn standards and attitudes. I don't think the individual out of the Russian Army in the American PMC is going to do something out of character for what he was taught in Russia. But it will be a different standard of behavior than the american working for the same company..

JongWK
Ares' pro-UCAS stance is only valid within the UCAS, remember. The megacorps try to look "local" wherever they are.
JongWK
QUOTE (Whizbang)
Argh...apparently I was too slow to see this, and it's pay to read now. frown.gif

I think someone saved the article and posted a link somewhere on the thread.
FlakJacket
Linkage.
Velocity
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Well, mercenaries are outlawed by the Geneva convention anyway. I don't see why they were, but thats notwithstanding.

They were banned because they're not accountable to any higher authority. While it's true that the hiring power should bear some kind of moral responsibility for the actions of the hired party, in reality this isn't the case.

Additionally, mercenaries are not permitted to be combatants because the signatories to the Geneva Conventions (and subsequent Protocols) wanted to discourage their use: American "rock star" testosterone junkies notwithstanding, the vast majority of mercenaries are drawn from poor and dispossessed people who fight because they need the money.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Aug 23 2005, 08:10 PM)
Well, mercenaries are outlawed by the Geneva convention anyway. I don't see why they were, but thats notwithstanding. Assuming the US keeps following the Geneva conventions, at least in regards to things that aren't torture, the only mercenaries we face as it is will be enemies. So theres a bridge we just crossed.

The Geneva convention only applies recognized, legitimate nations. And in this post 9/11 world, clearly the US would never go to war with a recognized, legitimate nation (rogue states need not apply; see offer for details).

Expect contracted private military to pretty much be an integral part of any US fighting force for a long time, if not as long as this country lasts.

QUOTE (Velocity)
Additionally, mercenaries are not permitted to be combatants because the signatories to the Geneva Conventions (and subsequent Protocols) wanted to discourage their use: American "rock star" testosterone junkies notwithstanding, the vast majority of mercenaries are drawn from poor and dispossessed people who fight because they need the money.

I find this hard to believe. At the time of the Geneva convention, any mercenaries that would be affected in signatory nations would have been much more like current first world mercenaries like Blackwater, Tripple Canopy, etc than the impoverished fighters you find in Somalia, Sierra Leone, etc. The latter, as we know them, really didn't much exist at the time.
Velocity
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Aug 23 2005, 08:10 PM)

The Geneva convention only applies recognized, legitimate nations. And in this post 9/11 world, clearly the US would never go to war with a recognized, legitimate nation (rogue states need not apply; see offer for details).

Convenient then, that it's the US who gets to decide which is which. smile.gif

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I find this hard to believe.

*shrug* Okay.
Supercilious
I intend to get a career as a mercenary. It seems like a fun job.
FrostyNSO
The only good part about it is the money.
Kagetenshi
The travel, don't forget that part.

~J
Arethusa
And meeting new people!
Supercilious
The travel, the adventure, the money. It sounds like a lot more fun that pushing paper all day.

Although, to be fair, I am a teenage male so I might moderate as I get older.
blakkie
And killing them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012