Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regarding Sourcebooks...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tiralee
I've recently managed a quick flick through the Renraku Shutdown - hell, the cover art says it all - and spent a good 10 minutes laughing my guts up at the "ShadowTalk"

Ok, specifically it was when the Seattle Data Haven was under attack from Deus's Okatu...with some of the Big Names of the Shadowboards present.
Namely FastJack.

To me, he's always been in the background, usually with a whispered hint, a warning...but on Page 28, he made things right.
Oh, how so very right.

FastJack: Here's the best I can do, boy...
Uriel (Intruder) Aaaa****---!

Uriel (Intruder) Has been disconnected.

I haven't laughed that long for quite a while...A sort of Sean Connery/Clint Eastwood/Tommy Lee Jones/Old Master Archtype laying the smackdown on the young and fanatical.

Are there any other gems that really bring the world of Shadowrun to life for you out there?

(I will admit, the Corperate Court scene was a close second for sheer hilarity.)

-Tir
the_dunner
From the end of PAoNA:
I must say, I have found your constant chatter highly entertaining...

I think this was the first time we saw Dunkelzahn comment among the ShadowTalk, and it just kicked ass.
Kesh
I wish I had my books with me. I know there are some choice quotes I could post... frown.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (the_dunner)
From the end of PAoNA:
I must say, I have found your constant chatter highly entertaining...

I think this was the first time we saw Dunkelzahn comment among the ShadowTalk, and it just kicked ass.

Not the first. Street Samurai Catalog. Speaking of which...

>>>>>[Hey, has anybody out there been able to figure out why a bunch of deckers are commenting on stuff we'll never have any use for? Just thought I'd ask.]<<<<<
-The Neon Samurai <15:31:32/12-19-50>

>>>>>[Because somebody has to?]<<<<<
-Fastjack <23:12:31/12-21-50>

>>>>>[Because we're really vile, malicious, back-stabbing, rumormongers at heart?]<<<<<
-Findler-Man <03:42:45/12-23-50>

>>>>>[I'll buy that.]<<<<<
-Nightfire <13:31:42/12-24-50>

>>>>>[You would. You get paid enough. Oh and hey, Merry Christmas.]<<<<<
-Fastjack <02:33:16/12-25-50>
Fix-it
My fav. Coment is from Cyberpirates.

I don't know whether to laugh my ass off or say "you found us"and see what that does to your poor overtaxed brain, kid. but take free advice.
Your house of cards rests on three things. That magic is cyclical, that a stupid primate can be turned into a sentient being, and that there are immortal elves.
The first is iffy, the second is a riddle as old as where life came from. I can say with confidence that the third is wrong.
~ The laughing man.
fistandantilus4.0
"you're not Immortal. I must've heard a hundred of you rodents say the same thing. Each one died on the end of my sword."
-Blade
TimeKeeper
From the opening of the SR Companion inside Shadowcell...

"Hey Kane you know how many people you've killed? Add 2 to the national debt and you're in the ballpark."

And when Kane and Gingerbread get into it in Cyberpirates, that was a good series.

Quix
The only one that ever stuck in my head was from the Street Samurai's Catalog

"General Purpose Heavy MAchine Gun? I always thought the purpose of a heavy machine gun was pretty direct." -<I don't remember who>
Velocity
Funny, that's one of my all-time favourites too... from the Street Samurai Catalog, p. 62:

>>>>>[General Purpose Heavy Machine Gun? And to think I always believed the purpose of heavy machine guns was pretty well defined.]<<<<<

-- Hatchetman <08:54:03/12-17-50>
HMHVV Hunter
I remember one from SotA: 2063, in the mercenaries section, when they were talking about a merc base in Constantinople or something. Someone asked "What's the deal? I thought it was called Istanbul? Is it Istanbul or Constantinople?"

The reply: "That's nobody's business but the Turks." From a poster called "TMBG" (They Might Be Giants?)

Not really my favorite, nor am I a TMBG fan, but I've heard the song once before, and it was just a funny pop culture reference that I noticed.
Supercilious
"And practical, and smart, given the circumstances. It's one of the rules of the shadows-kill or be killed. Every member of every team knows that they're expendable, and they assume that their teammates will use their carcass is necessary to survive. Deal with it."

-- Socio Pat (Page 37, Renraku Arcology: Shutdown).
Grinder
That's a really atmospheric one, when it comes to grittyness.
Velocity
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
I remember one from SotA: 2063, in the mercenaries section, when they were talking about a merc base in Constantinople or something. Someone asked "What's the deal? I thought it was called Istanbul? Is it Istanbul or Constantinople?"

The reply: "That's nobody's business but the Turks." From a poster called "TMBG" (They Might Be Giants?)

Not really my favorite, nor am I a TMBG fan, but I've heard the song once before, and it was just a funny pop culture reference that I noticed.

Although They Might Be Giants did record a version of "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," I'd just like to point out that it was originally released by The Four Lads in 1953.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Aug 19 2005, 12:53 AM)
I remember one from SotA: 2063, in the mercenaries section, when they were talking about a merc base in Constantinople or something.  Someone asked "What's the deal?  I thought it was called Istanbul?  Is it Istanbul or Constantinople?"

The reply: "That's nobody's business but the Turks."  From a poster called "TMBG" (They Might Be Giants?)

Although They Might Be Giants did record a version of "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," I'd just like to point out that it was originally released by The Four Lads in 1953.

Ah ok. I did not know that.

Some more favorite Shadowland quotes:

(after Skeptic doubts the existance of mutants)
"You know Skeptic, sometimes I swear you never step away from your deck to look out the fraggin' window." - Bung, "Target: Wastelands"
(I was SO glad to see Skeptic get smacked down. I hate him (the SR fiction version of him, I feel the need to point out, since I think there's someone named Skeptic on these boards)

"The only thing I've seen a replacement hand used for is...never mind." - Cybertechnology (can't remember poster's name)

"Wonderful. Now I can flatten light ammo against body armor faster than ever before." - Steel Lynx, echoing my feelings about the Crusader Machine Pistol in "Street Samurai Catalog"

"Why do I read this and hear the words of a very old song...something about being blinded by the light, and then running in the night?" - Steel Lynx about the Flash-Pak in the "Street Samurai Catalog," referencing a Bruce Springsteen (I think) song; another pop culture reference.

"I am here to say that I have successfully used this wondrous device to filter out the rantings of my lady-love during one of her frequent 'get a real life' tirades. A heart-felt '10' from me." - The Neon Samurai, about the Select Sound Filter, "Street Samurai Catalog"

I'll come up with more I'm sure.
Velocity
And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

- Bruce Springsteen, "Blinded by the Light"
Supercilious
I love that song.
blakkie
QUOTE (Velocity)
And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

- Bruce Springsteen, "Blinded by the Light"

"Reved up like a deuce", "Wrapped up like a douce", whatever.
Deamon_Knight
In Paranormal Animals of North America, commenting on the Century Ferret:

Isn't There ANYTHING out there that likes people?

Also in the same book Cap Chaos comments about how much was cut from the shadowland upload of the guide because the threat of awakened silverfish or hummingbirds was pretty low.
"If a hummingbird hasn't geeked you before now, this years model isn't likely to waste you either."
Grinder
Wish they had a Cap Chaos in "Creatures Of Barsaive" which included even a "killer" rabbit-like creature.

Oh, sorry: for ED.
HMHVV Hunter
(about the Bombardier, an awakened flying squirrel)
[Does one of these things like to hang out with a moose, by any chance?]
-Bladerunner

-From "Paranormal Animals of North America"

(About the MGL-12 grenade launcher)

>>>[Ya know, nobody's said the most important thing about all this wiz gear. Don't use it unless you know how, 'kay? Dumbest thing I ever saw was a bulked-out street sam running down the street with an MGL-12, trying to hit a fast-retreating Hughes Stallion. Thought I was watching one of those Armed to the Teeth sims.]<<<
-Airman Al

>>>[Hey! I HIT THE FRAGGIN' THING! So shut the frag up before I make you eat my fist!]<<<
-Slugg

>>>[Bad news, Slugg-o-my-heart: YOU MISSED! You tagged the top of a tree, which blew up real nicely. I, however, piloting the aforementioned Stallion, made my escape. Guess you were too busy dodging bits of burning tree to notice...]<<<
-Airman Al

-From "Fields of Fire"
Penta
My most favorite part...

The Corporate War description, pg 54 (I think?) of Corporate Shadowfiles.

<shudder>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012