Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the first section to are going to read?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
blakkie
Yes, even those of you that plan to buy it from the bargin bin. nyahnyah.gif

Me, as strong as my curiousity is for how the dice work, i'm going to start with the Buzzkill fiction. Just because i'm a Julie Andrews fan? Maybe....
Nerbert
I always start with the character creation rules, a fresh character sheet and learn what everything means as I go along. Then I make another one, and make them fight each other.
Dashifen
Gotta start with "Sex" on page 47 ...

c'mon -- someone needed to say it biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
I voted "very beginning", but to be honest I'm probably skipping "What is a roleplaying game?"

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I voted "very beginning", but to be honest I'm probably skipping "What is a roleplaying game?"

~J

Ya, i'll likely gloss over that part too. In fact once i finish Buzzkill (either to the end of it or it loses my attention because it sucks hard) i'll likely skip over to Matrix 2.0 history to skim that and then quickly on to the dice rolling parts for a quick review to get into the meat of the attributes and skills.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

i am sorry i have to say this....

Oh you mean "ShadowRun for Dummies" huh

sorry i couldnt resist....and by the way, i'm starting with dice rolling 101 myself
mintcar
I always start with the character creation rules, a fresh character sheet and learn what everything means as I go along. Then I make another one, and make them fight each other.

Ooooh! I havenīt done that since I was a kid! Sitting with a brand new, exiting rpg and making youīre first character without really knowing how. Now Iīm gonna have to do that too. embarrassed.gif

(I voted "from the beginning")
Jrayjoker
...when you sing you begin with Do Re Mi, Do Re Miiiiiiiiii...

grinbig.gif
nezumi
Probably going to start from the beginning, flip through it, then come back a second time and linger on the interesting bits.
Jrayjoker
Last time I skimmed (SR3) I lost a lot when I "thought" I understood changes. I will be more careful this time, which should be easier due to the massive "paradigm shift without a clutch," to quote Dogbert.
Xavier Grimwand
I voted Other, but I'm specifically interested in the new Magic and Matrix rules. I'll read them concurrently. wink.gif

"What's the first section to are going to read?"
"Where do will you start reading?"

Gods, man. Learn some proper grammar!
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand)
I voted Other, but I'm specifically interested in the new Magic and Matrix rules. I'll read them concurrently. wink.gif

Gods, man. Learn some proper grammar!

Patience, not everyone is an english speaker first here. And if they are, they probably went to public school. I knows I done been to public school.
blakkie
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand @ Aug 17 2005, 07:37 AM)
I had to vote Other because someone forgot to include the Magic system section.  nyahnyah.gif

No, someone else missed seeing the Awakened World option. eek.gif

Gods, man.  Learn some proper grammar!

Editting with cut and paste is my bane. When i don't like what i wrote, often because i'm unhappy with it's length or passive voice, i go back and make changes and sometimes screw up with the editting.
Jrayjoker
See, public school.... grinbig.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
See, public school.... grinbig.gif

Hush you. I got some darn good learnin' in public school.
Jrayjoker
LOL, me too. Best English lit class I ever took (including college) was my AP English calss in high school. Miss Papps had been teaching for 40 years when I got there. She taugh one of my classmate's grandmas. Very demanding and supportive at the same time.
icharbezol
I voted Other...while I plan to truly begin reading thoroughly at the beginning, I have to first skim to the "Sex" section to see if there's something they put in there that changes the very basic function of humanity (what could possibly have changed, I wonder) or if it was just to see how many people would skip to it first. I am just baffled by what FanPro could have possibly included in that particular section that most adults don't already have at least a pretty basic grasp of.
Backgammon
I don't know what the big intrigue about the Sex section is.... It's going to be a copy&paste of the Sex section from SSG, no?
icharbezol
QUOTE (Backgammon)
I don't know what the big intrigue about the Sex section is.... It's going to be a copy&paste of the Sex section from SSG, no?

If it is, then why bother including it? They could have spent their time and effort in better directions than copy/paste from old SR books, if what you are saying is truly the case. I hope it's not; that shows more laziness than creativity, and the creativity part of it is one of my main draws to SR4 (in that they aren't rehashing the same rules, they have created new ones).

The only reason the Sex section is such a big intrigue for me is the "why" and "what", really. I am just curious as to what they put in there and why it's really applicable to the core rules and/or setting. Sexuality as flavor text really isn't all that appropriate for a game that's aiming towards a younger audience, if that's FanPro's attempt like some have stated. But maybe I can find a little "hot coffee" after I have downloaded the PDF or something grinbig.gif

After figuring out the answer to that, I'll go back to the beginning and read everything thoroughly.
Birdy
There is one voting option missing:

The FAQ and Erratra biggrin.gif

Otherwise: Chargen and Games Rules

Birdy
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Backgammon)

Nope.
Fizzygoo
Well. If there is a theme to it, the short sextion on sex is sandwhiched between "Fashion" and "The Dark Side." So it's 'how-to-look-good-attracting-someone' and then 'what-to-do-with-them-when-you-have-them' and then 'dealing-with-the-realization-your-decisions-were-based-more-on-alcohol-than-the-actual-person.'
Penta
QUOTE (Fizzygoo)
Well. If there is a theme to it, the short sextion on sex is sandwhiched between "Fashion" and "The Dark Side." So it's 'how-to-look-good-attracting-someone' and then 'what-to-do-with-them-when-you-have-them' and the 'dealing-with-the-realization-your-decisions-were-based-more-on-alcohol-than-the-actual-person.'

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Stormdrake
History section first then character creation. I want to know why a very large part of California is now sitting under water.
shadow_scholar
I'd like to read System Failure first, but no dice on that one.
mintcar
I hope that turns out to be the pesemistic prediction itīs supposed to be. Depending on how late Adam is with the pdf, you may have looked at things a bit to brightly holding of those dice.
Wintermancer
I plan to peruse character generation first. I like to get right to futzing around with making a character. It allows me to pinpoint things as I go, and flip to various sections for explanation on the fly. And then, when all is said and done, it gets me psyched to start at the beginning and read the whole thing cover to cover to let it all sink in.

Winter
Triggerz
I'll start with the adept powers, then combat rules (especially melee), then 'ware and gear, then... huh... the rest of magic or the Matrix section. Only when I have a good idea of the core mechanics and common gear/spells/powers/'ware will I go read the flavour stuff. Game mechanics have been discussed quite a bit in various threads, but I want to get all the details to form an informed opinion asap.
tisoz
I went to the conjuring and spirit types first. Shortly after, I went where people asked for answers.
Spider
I absolutely got to start with the character creation rules(to see how the characters will manifest itself). After that i'll go with the game rules(combat, skills, rigging, decking,magic) to learn how effectively the manifested character can affect the world and how he can get affected(or changed) by it. My third would be the character advancement and progression to learn how the changes apply on the characters... Especially because i'm really nervous about the character generation cost compared to the karma table so far...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012