Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy Comlinks!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bandwidthoracle
Ok, so it's time for wild insomnia induced speculation.

We have a weapons specalist with a Renkru Ichi OS (Ichi means one (AKA OS 1))
We have a combat mage with Megadyne Deva OS (No clue)

In the TOC commlink construction is listed in the Matrix section, and the ID section.

Speculations:

1) Absolutly everyone, including mages, use computers now
2) Everyone is required to have as part of ID?
3) Everyone is running around with a host? (Hackers dream?)

Of course these are just speculations.

Anyone got analysis or refutation, or just mocking?

P.S Adam & playtesters are alloud to yell at me if I said something stupid.

EDIT:
I found out Deva is Latin for "Radiant ones" comes from the plural of Deus, Waaay more speculation!
SL James
I'm curious how Mangadyne, a company specializing in Matrix iconography, got into the OS biz.
Raskolnikov
Form over function.
Pandamoanyum
Sure, I'll play along. I suppose iconography could be linked with the new Augmented Reality. Maybe that's more connected with the wired world than I thought.

I haven't seen Minority Report, but from what I've heard this line of questioning leads vaguely in that direction. Namely:
(1) no privacy
(2) intrusive walking ads that address you by name
(3) gargoyles (those people in Snow Crash who had nothing better to do than cruise around in public places, scanning as much of people's personal info as they could get their gloves on.)

It's interesting that the Combat Mage has a Novatech Airware Commlink. And here I was thinking that Novatech had bought it.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Pandamoanyum)
Sure, I'll play along. I suppose iconography could be linked with the new Augmented Reality. Maybe that's more connected with the wired world than I thought.

Maybe Megadyne is the new AAA corp? Maybe the made it big because Deus' distributed brain (Threats) helped them gain new technology?
SL James
System Failure's description said, "a struggling megacorp makes a drastic decision to stem off impending doom", and Rob said a third of the book was about Novatech, so... Apparently Novatech succeeded.

But how!?!

It's Mangadyne, BTW. Emphasis on the Manga part since it's the basis for the iconography of its products.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (SL James)
System Failure's description said, "a struggling megacorp makes a drastic decision to stem off impending doom", and Rob said a third of the book was about Novatech, so... Apparently Novatech succeeded.

But how!?!

It's Mangadyne, BTW. Emphasis on the Manga part since it's the basis for the iconography of its products.

Well maybe their drastic descision was siding with an AI that hates it's father, and also happens to be the largest computer company out there?

I didn't know they did the Manga thing, and Appologies for the spelling?
SL James
Oh. No biggie. I just didn't want it to become a false meme.
Darkness
QUOTE (Pandamoanyum)

Sounds feasible. Things like that were hinted at in the Sprawl Survival Guide as they introduced the Credstick Beacon (which was used for personalized ADs in some places). Now, with a wireless Matrix (and everything being connected), those are likely to pop up everywhere.
Mmh. Like the Internet today... only even more annoying to the people... ^^
I like it, and my players will hate every ad i throw at them.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Darkness)
QUOTE (Pandamoanyum @ Aug 18 2005, 08:29 AM)

Sounds feasible. Things like that were hinted at in the Sprawl Survival Guide as they introduced the Credstick Beacon (which was used for personalized ADs in some places). Now, with a wireless Matrix (and everything being connected), those are likely to pop up everywhere.

The Ads addressing the heroine in Diamond Age, the Gap store talking to the guy with the stolen eyes in Minority report, Those evil real life ads the gas pump at King Soopers plays after you slot your consumer sheep card (Guilty as it realy does saave me a measureable amount on gas). Man those ads at the gas station are annoying, Full motion video, and they only let you mute/skip some of them.

So does this mean ID matters way more than it use to?
Pandamoanyum
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
Well maybe their drastic descision was siding with an AI that hates it's father, and also happens to be the largest computer company out there?

But what would make Deus like them? I don't think normal bribery would work. Plus we have the new crash to wonder about (AI death?) Regardless, the thought of him/it having potential control over the architecture of Augmented Reality is scary, even though I can see it happening.

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
Those evil real life ads the gas pump at King Soopers plays after you slot your consumer sheep card

We could always trade cards and mess with the dataminers...
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Pandamoanyum)
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

But what would make Deus like them? I don't think normal bribery would work. Plus we have the new crash to wonder about (AI death?) Regardless, the thought of him/it having potential control over the architecture of Augmented Reality is scary, even though I can see it happening.

Revenge?

Maybe he saw the crash coming, maybe he went into distributed hibernate mode on his cluster of meat processors?
Darkness
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ Aug 18 2005, 09:16 AM)
So does this mean ID matters way more than it use to?

I would bet on it. This makes Hackers even more valuable.

/Edit: damned typos.
otaku mike
QUOTE (SL James)

You mean, like the way you spelled it in you very first post in this thread?
Managdyne

Sorry biggrin.gif that was way too tempting biggrin.gif

Mike
Bandwidthoracle
So think they are mandatory?

Or is the SIN wifi, and everyone just wants to be able to see the AR?

Will Hackers/Deckers/Riggers be able to do more than just deface in AR?
SL James
QUOTE (otaku mike @ Aug 18 2005, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 18 2005, 06:42 AM)

Managdyne

Mike

Oh, no! A typo! The world's coming to an END!!!

So sad... So very sad...
Athenor
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (otaku mike @ Aug 18 2005, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 18 2005, 06:42 AM)

Managdyne

Mike

Oh, no! A typo! The world's coming to an END!!!

So sad... So very sad...

Realistically, this is why I'm putting off buying a true BBB for a few months. SR has a habit of running through printings quickly, and I wanna wait until at least some of the spelling bugs are caught and fixed. I can live vicariously through others in the meantime. =)
SL James
Well, it's not the spelling that's a problem. It's the rules and grammar which need to be fixed in errata. That's a problem, and one that is virtually assured to occur.
nick012000
QUOTE (Darkness)
QUOTE (Pandamoanyum @ Aug 18 2005, 08:29 AM)

And then the group's mage flips out and powerbolts one into fried circuits. nyahnyah.gif
Jrayjoker
Reminds me of the AOL ads on TV where the spammer is walking behind the characters scereaming his spam.
Kesh
Man, and folks didn't believe me when I talked about this sort of stuff the first time it was mentioned the new Matrix was wireless. biggrin.gif
Overwatch
Just an FYI. If Mangadyne specializes in Japanese comic-animation themed iconography...

Deva is the pink haired sexy queen of the bugroms from El-Hazard. Give it a google.
Athenor
Ohh, let's play 6 degrees of seperation!

Lesse.. Adam Jury helped work on the layout...

WHile he also works at Guardians of Order...

Who produced the El-Hazard RPG system....

... wait, was that too fast? =P

(Seriously, Deva's kinda a common word, I wouldn't read anything much into it, beyond it being kind of a luxury augmented reality.)
Overwatch
The Common word is Diva... Deva is something else entirely.

Interesting tid-bit about Adam doing the El-Hazard RPG. I'd say that clinches it.
Cheops
Plus as someone already mentioned Deva is plural for Deus...

Also CAT had a penchant for angelic/heavenly pseudonyms, could some corporate buyout or merger (CAT got caught by the crash, Mangadyne got lots of their talent pool)?
Darkness
QUOTE (Cheops @ Aug 18 2005, 06:17 PM)

Wasn't that Daeva?
Cheops
How should I know...I'm not a doctor, scientist, or latin major so it's all Greek to me.
Darkness
Me neither. That's why i'm asking. biggrin.gif
Cheops
Then I agree...from now on we shall spell it Daeva and violently berate and undermine everyone who disagress with our belief in true DS style nyahnyah.gif
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Darkness)
QUOTE (Cheops @ Aug 18 2005, 06:17 PM)

Wasn't that Daeva?

I have no clue, google told me me Deva was multiple Dues
Darkness
Here' s some from the Wikipedia
Wikipedia Deva Entry
And Daeva in the Wiki redirects you to here:
Redirected from Daeva.
After all none AFAIK mentioned it as a multitude of Deus. Seems, that this will take a deeper investigation.

/Edit: Both are connected to Dyeus, wich later became Deus.
blakkie
QUOTE (Darkness @ Aug 18 2005, 10:55 AM)
Here' s some from the Wikipedia
Wikipedia Deva Entry
And Daeva in the Wiki redirects you to here:
Redirected from Daeva.
After all none AFAIK mentioned it as a multitude of Deus. Seems, that this will take a deeper investigation.

/Edit: Both are connected to Dyeus, wich later became Deus.

I checked a couple of online latin dictionaries. None of them give "deva" as a plural form of "deus". Nor does "deva" or "daeva" show up in any of them. Not to say that these are complete dictionaries, or that i know squat about latin in general.

EDIT: I also noticed an interesting possibility in that Wikipedia list; Deva, a Roman castrum in Britain in AD 400, now Chester
Penta
Magnadyne has stuff formerly from Transys Neuronet.

Or Magnadyne is owned by Ronabwhy.
hobgoblin
hmm, last time i encounterd the word deva was in ogl cybernet. basicly it was their word for persona nyahnyah.gif
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Penta)
Magnadyne has stuff formerly from Transys Neuronet.

Or Magnadyne is owned by Ronabwhy.

1) Do we know what they got from Transys?

2) Who is Ronabwhy?
Kagetenshi
Deva, as mentioned, are generally the "good" or "productive" deities in Hinduism. Aside from the possible el-Hazard reference that's probably what it's referring to.

(For the record, "Deva" (Deua) is not remotely close to the plural of Deus. Daeva/Daeua is even further off. Masculine plural gods are dei, di, or dii, while feminine gods are dea and in plural deae.)

~J
Cheops
Well Scooby looks like we just solved another spooky mystery! Now let's go have some Scooby Snacks! wink.gif
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Cheops)
Well Scooby looks like we just solved another spooky mystery! Now let's go have some Scooby Snacks! wink.gif

Scooooby Dooooby doo!
Spookymonster
Old Man Deus would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!
Nomad
Good one Shaggy.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012