Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NYC2123 - Online cyberpunk comic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spookymonster
Found it over on Boing Boing. I've only read a few panels so far, but it definitely sounds like something the demented freaks on DS would like wink.gif.
Velocity
Wow, this is actually significantly less cheesy than I feared it would be. smile.gif Thanks for the link!
hobgoblin
this is nice, damn nice!

i loved the way she was dealing with the net. kinda like a mix between gibson and present day. staying on the outside rather then going inside but still having that old school matrix feel nyahnyah.gif
Ed_209a
Nice!

Subtle too, 60 frames, and only one gun in sight.

Can't wait for September now.
hobgoblin
btw, did people notice the kicks towards open source?
the drug patch was under GPL for crying out loud biggrin.gif
combo that with anything open source being illegal and i was laughing my sanity out silly.gif

and the coffin nails had varying levels of hash in them, cute.
and that smoke "alarm" telling people about it being illegal to smoke inside wink.gif
i wonder if that applyed to private apartments to nyahnyah.gif

this baby is cyberpunk indeed, just like cyberpunk is supposed to be. as in a present day commentary by taking everything a generation or two into the future and giving it a dystopian spin cyber.gif
mattness pl
http://www.nyc2123.com/

Friend'o'mine told me about it.
It's really cool.
But not updated lately frown.gif .
Platinum
check out the other links in http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=12762
I have a few more to add in there.
mfb
it's really good. the only thing that i don't really like is how "fresh off the headlines" the details are. Wi-Fi, Blackwater--most of the terminology is modern, as opposed to futuristic. i mean, the comic is set more than a century in the future, y'know?

but that's a nitpick. the comic's damn good.
Raskolnikov
I am afraid I'll have to differ, mfb. The comic has its moments for certain. It is also certainly better than no comic. Overall, I would say it is worth a read. However, it is a little too "Gibson" for my taste. You know, "Mix one part buzz word with one part pseudo technical term and finally one part depressed character who is also apparently the best ever. Shake and package with noir delivery." Gibson was pretty cookie-cutter even at his best. So I am not really making a compliment.

I mean, the Black Death? Dispersed by Cloned Fleas, on Cloned Rats? Does the next story arc have Neo Nazis or a return of Stalin v2.0? Additionally, echo your comment about headline grabbing.

Still, to any reading this who have not taken a look at it, I would give it a try. It is not long enough at this point to really become grating for its flaws so it is overall enjoyable if you just accept the fact that it is going to be somewhat of a groaner most of the way through. The good moments it does have are worth looking at.
Squinky
Thanks for cueing me into this, I enjoyed it.
bclements
Nice homage (or extended middle finger, depending on your perspective) to Lucas in that 5th set.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
it's really good. the only thing that i don't really like is how "fresh off the headlines" the details are. Wi-Fi, Blackwater--most of the terminology is modern, as opposed to futuristic. i mean, the comic is set more than a century in the future, y'know?

but that's a nitpick. the comic's damn good.

I'm afraid that, like Raskolnikov, I will also have to differ. Maybe it's because I've been exposed to this way the hell too much recently, but what I've read thus far reads like tripe from someone who desperately needs their Slashdot account canceled.

Not that we've seen any editions of games with that problem recently.

~J
Arethusa
I'm afraid I have to agree with Kage. I found it enjoyable, and it does certain things pretty damn well, but overall, the writing isn't great, and there is too much I Just Read About That On Digg.

However, in its defence, it is just about infinitely better than any other cyberpunk webcomic I have ever seen.
mattness pl
Platinum - thx for link smile.gif

EDIT: And I don't like that critique by Kage. I often heard similiar things about Shadowrun.

IMHO - either you "buy everything that they sell" or negates whole product.
me think, NYC is good product (and really great thing, if you count open source licence wink.gif ).
SL James
QUOTE (mattness pl @ Jun 14 2006, 04:16 AM)
EDIT: And I don't like that critique by Kage. I often heard similiar things about Shadowrun.

Yeah, I think that was the point of, "Not that we've seen any editions of games with that problem recently."
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mattness pl)
IMHO - either you "buy everything that they sell" or negates whole product.

Though I disagree with that entire premise, in this case it's irrelevant—IMO, the buzzword bingo is bad enough to, indeed, negate the entire product and then some.

~J
Kagetenshi
File Marilith under modern-day.

If you want to see how a normal group interacts, there's always 8-bit theatre…

~J
Platinum
Added it ... and moved UFX to modern day as well. (doesn't ufx write Marilith ?)
Kagetenshi
Doubt it. Same guy who does Krakow Studios, though.

~J
mattness pl
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Doubt it. Same guy who does Krakow Studios, though.

~J
Kagetenshi
That made no sense whatsoever, but that's ok.

~J
Platinum
added
http://www.athenavoltaire.com
http://www.thejaded.co.uk/

above
mfb
i dunno. i mean, maybe my expectations are just lower than y'all's, when it comes to comics. when i see story elements like "zomgz teh blakc deths!!1!" i just accept that it's retarded and keep going. the art's neat, the dialogue's pretty good, the story ideas aren't too bad (with the caveat that the specific details are distractingly unfuturistic). if it were a novel, or god forbid, a game setting, i'd apply different standards, i guess.
Raskolnikov
Maybe you are just missing some of the dialogue gems. For instance, when the experienced old-school team leader asks the hacker how she can watch so many channels at once (because apparently he does not have exposure to brain implants?) and she replies "parallel processing." He reposts, quite cleverly, "Whatever."

The "Whatever," reply is a little too common in the strip for me. They use it whenever they want to have a character make exposition but not turn it into an actual conversation. There are better ways to insert exposition.
mfb
*shrug* it's not Shakespeare, but very little is. it's certainly five or ten cuts above most of the comics i've read, online and off-.
KillaJ
QUOTE (Spookymonster @ Aug 18 2005, 07:23 AM)
Found it over on Boing Boing. I've only read a few panels so far, but it definitely sounds like something the demented freaks on DS would like wink.gif.

I was sold until I got to this part.

Now I am filled with rage and self loathing...
mattness pl
http://www.purepwnage.com/comic.php?p=1 - Is that web-comic fits to the topic?
Ranneko
QUOTE (KillaJ)
QUOTE (Spookymonster @ Aug 18 2005, 07:23 AM)

I was sold until I got to this part.

Now I am filled with rage and self loathing...

Indeed, it simply makes NO SENSE.

If you are creating the message with your mind, why the hell are you using netspeak? Surely that is a far more complex thing to do than simply having correct typing.
Shrike30
If you spend most of your time online talking to people who speak in netspeak, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that, when using a transducer, the "dialect" you think in would be netspeak.

Hell, I use the word "teh" in real life to make fun of things without thinking about it.
Moon-Hawk
I'll echo that. My fiancee and I use vocal netspeak just to screw around. Things like "I R teh winnar" and "Joo R teh suck" when we're playing video games.
Besides, what's the difference between thinking netspeak deliberately into a transducer and typing netspeak deliberately into a keyboard? I'm sure there is some amount of deliberate intention that goes into using a transducer, it doesn't just convert everything you think instantly into text. Otherwise:
"Okay, I'll meet you at-damn look at the tits on that-seven o'clock by the-I'm hungry-my leg itches-clocktower-did I leave the gas on-alright-damn I hate this piece of crap-talk to you later bud-jerk."
mfb
QUOTE (Moon-hawk)
I'm sure there is some amount of deliberate intention that goes into using a transducer, it doesn't just convert everything you think instantly into text. Otherwise:
"Okay, I'll meet you at-damn look at the tits on that-seven o'clock by the-I'm hungry-my leg itches-clocktower-did I leave the gas on-alright-damn I hate this piece of crap-talk to you later bud-jerk."

check out Technogenesis, by Syne Mitchell, for an interesting take on that issue. in it, the software has a somewhat tough time differentiating between thoughts intended for communication and thoughts that aren't, such that while unintended thoughts aren't communicated, they're still accessible. so a good hacker can actually search through the web and discover, for instance, what you were actually thinking about when you wrecked your car yesterday--whether you were actually paying attention, or whether your attention had wandered elsewhere at a crucial moment.

as for netspeak in NYC2123, that was part of the anachronistic tendencies that i didn't like about the comic. the netspeak itself didn't bother me particularly; to say that one wouldn't use netspeak when one is using cybernetic communications is to make broad, possibly incorrect assumptions about how those cybernetic communications work, and how the world in general works. maybe Laney has to use a kind of mental keyboard to interface with the chat program that Wagner favors. maybe they use netspeak to confuse automated search programs.

no, what i really didn't like about that exchange is the fact that they're using fucking AOL Instant Messenger, according to the previous panel. i mean, come on.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
no, what i really didn't like about that exchange is the fact that they're using fucking AOL Instant Messenger, according to the previous panel. i mean, come on.

Can you think of a better way of portraying a bleak and hopeless future? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012