Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flavour Spray
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Velocity
First Demonseed Elite shows us battling SKs, now my morning paper brings us flavour sprays. They're marketed as "craving-killers" to help dieters, but how far is this from those "flavour dispensers" that are supposed to make soy palatable?
Nyxll
The flavor sprays seem like a gimick. Cravings, at least those in pregnancy are based on requiring a nutrient. example ... some women crave dirt. which means they are requiring iron. Some women crave celery which has potassium and folate which is used to make folic acid. (used in brain and spinal cord development)

Unless the spray has those vitamins/minerals it will be almost ineffective.
mfb
right, but this is more for people on diets, not necessarily pregnant women. trust me, going coo-coo for cocoa puffs has nothing to do with nutrients.
CrystalBlue
trust me, going coo-coo for cocoa puffs has nothing to do with nutrients.

rotfl.gif

I don't know why...but I'm keeping that quote. That made me laugh.
Lady Door
So, if a pregnant womens' cravings are based on needed nutrients can you tell me what my Double Brownie Fudge, Chocolate syrup drenched, Gummy Bear smothered ice cream concoction was telling me I needed?

mmmmm.. chocolate gummy bears... damn it! I was over it too!
blakkie
QUOTE (Plan B @ Aug 18 2005, 12:18 PM)
So, if a pregnant womens' cravings are based on needed nutrients can you tell me what my Double Brownie Fudge, Chocolate syrup drenched, Gummy Bear smothered ice cream concoction was telling me I needed?

mmmmm.. chocolate gummy bears... damn it! I was over it too!

Glucose?

P.S. It is my understanding that is also why if a pregnant woman starts craving eating dirt she should go see her doctor as it is a sign of a serious deficancy. EDIT: Oops, i missed that second post.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
right, but this is more for people on diets, not necessarily pregnant women. trust me, going coo-coo for cocoa puffs has nothing to do with nutrients.

Sugar is a 'nutrient', at least your body thinks so and has a very core drive to consume calories and rewards your brain with pleasure for coming through. Unfortunately we tend to be far too successful at satisfying those urges.

Also things like chocolate have stimulants and such that are end runs around, and it isn't a food craving it's more like a heroin craving (but obviously not as strong).

I personally at times crave fruit, especially if i've been eating crapy restruant food. I also have times where i haven't had a fatty food for a long time and crave that.
hyzmarca
Flavor spray is less about satasfying cravings and more about making the food palatable.

Have you even been in a situation where you took a bite out of an expensive diet pood then instantly spit it out and tried to scrape the retchid taste off your tounge and then took a bite out of the cardboard box the so-called food came in and decided the box tasted better?

That, I presume, is what the flavor spray helps correct.
Nikoli
Ah, see I just buy bigger pants. Much more satisfying.
Penta
I have to ask...What am I craving when I crave fried chicken?
Velocity
A early death.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 18 2005, 07:49 PM)
I have to ask...What am I craving when I crave fried chicken?

Fat, cholestrol, possibly protein. Despite popular belief, both fat anf cholestrol are vital nutrients. You'd die without them. Too much of anything will kill you, of course. You can die from drinking too much water.
mfb
yes, but when most people crave fried chicken, they're craving the taste. their body probably doesn't need the specific nutrients provided by fried chicken, unless they've been on a no-cholesterol diet for a while. those kinds of cravings are 100% taste-related.
hyzmarca
Not the taste, the smell.
Culinary desire is like sexual desire. It is all about the chemicals.

When you bump into someone who smells just the right way, your brain responds and tells you tha tyou just have to jump that person's bones. If you do or even if you don't, that smell lingers in your mind and the craving does too. Pheremones are very powerful.

The same is true for food, only for different reasons. Food smells. That smell and the taste, are both caused by the chemicals emited by the food.
In the case of fried chicken, the chemical is vegetable fat. Fried chicken is cooked in boiling vegetable fat. The chicken is permenated by it. The heat makes the smell even more powerful. It is that vegetable fat that you crave when you crave fried chicken. It may be the chicken. It may not be. The vegetable fat is far stonger than an other smell in fired chicken.
Kyuhan
Isn't the scientific proof behind human pheromones still up in the air?

I also recall some debate on whether cravings actually mean you have deficiencies or not. I'll try to find some links if anyone's interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012