Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adepts in Space! Space! Space!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HMHVV Hunter
I wondered this as I was thinking up a plot for a story of "The Helios Chronicles."

As most SR players know, magic doesn't work in space. Spellcasting? EEEHHNNT! Astrally projecting? Only if you feel like drooling the rest of your life.

So I was wondering: what sorts of problems would an adept have in space? Their abilities are less flashy and more body-oriented than a mage's or shaman's, but they're still magical in nature.

So what would happen? Would an adept be permanently damaged (mentally, physically, or magically) just by being in space? Would his powers work?
toturi
Powers probably wouldn't work but if initiated over 6 times, the adept might just be able to use some low level powers.
Ancient History
p.85, Magic in the Shadows

Please note that adepts using the Astral Perception power or the Limited Astral Projection metamagic face the usual penalties.

Also, adept powers like Ability Boost that cause Drain are subject to the rules for exacerbated Drain in a mana warp.
HMHVV Hunter
Ok, well I have another question:

Would a vampire be able to survive in space? After all, the virus that animates them is magical in nature. Would they have powers up there (regeneration, etc)?
blakkie
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Ok, well I have another question:

Would a vampire be able to survive in space? After all, the virus that animates them is magical in nature. Would they have powers up there (regeneration, etc)?

Aren't they one of the permanently duel natured critters? They'd be in a world of hurt.
Cynic project
Are the adepts Jews? Cause you need, JEWS IN SPACE!
Ancient History
A vampire is not permanently dual natured.

Considering a vampire is classed as a critter rather than a player character magician, their Essence would be reduced in the Mana Warp of outer space (Max Essence is 12, Mana Warp 10 is normal for outer space and provides a -12 modifier to Essence).

Martin de Vries might be able to offset this somewhat with his Essence Focus, but the focus would be sbject to damage each round as long as it is active.
Foreigner
HMHVV Hunter:

That brings an interesting thought to mind:

Would it be possible to develop a magically-shielded spacesuit--that is, one that gave an Adept, Magician or Shaman the ability to wield low-level spells?

I haven't the faintest idea how to go about it, but perhaps someone else would.

--Foreigner
Ancient History
QUOTE (Foreigner)
HMHVV Hunter:

That brings an interesting thought to mind:

Would it be possible to develop a magically-shielded spacesuit--that is, one that gave an Adept, Magician or Shaman the ability to wield low-level spells?

I haven't the faintest idea how to go about it, but perhaps someone else would.

--Foreigner

It's not like taking a dip in the ocean. A ward on a spacesuit wouldn't do the trick. You'd have to have some sort of Filtering Focus holding a spell filter for them to draw mana through.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Foreigner)

Closest thing would be a filtering focus of disturbing force.
Shielding a creature from mana is no less brutal than a mana warp. Since you can't get enough life in a standard spacesuit to provide any significant natural tempering of the surrounding mana, the best you can do is try to filter and only get the parts you can use.
Foreigner
Oh, well....

That's about what I thought.

Thanks for clearing that up. smile.gif

--Foreigner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012