Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Realism-fu: Firing from a vehicle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
A couple nights, a deep thought occurred to me.

If I were a Shadowrunner, and I had a handgun, and I were sitting in the back seat of a getaway vehicle which has taken M damage (meaning the windows are officially shattered), I could lean out of the windows and shoot at the persuing vehicle, like everyone does in the movies.

Fair enough, right?

But, since the vehicle is moving about erratically and shaking, it would be a painful and horrendous platform for marksmanship, right? If you think about it, I really shouldn't be able to hit anything worth a damn, because there'd be no way to line up a bullseye shot using normal methods of marksmanship. It can be hard enough to hold a full cup of coffee steady during normal driving...trying to hold pistol sights aligned within the milimeter while you're in a high speed chase is probably like stand-up comedy.

So, I'm thinking....should all aimed fire coming out of a vehicle be slapped with, like, a +6 TN penalty for Worst Marksmanship Platform Imaginable?

Forgive me if this post makes me look like a retard; I don't have any of the Rigger sourcebooks so if there already is such a penalty in place, please don't beat me. rotfl.gif
Angelone
Think there is a penalty not sure and can't look right now, but if there is I think it should go to the pursuers as well. Not sure how it would affect smartlinks though.
Wounded Ronin
I'd think that a Smartlink wouldn't negate that penalty at all. You might know more clearly that your point of aim is wiggling everywhere like a 7 foot long gelatinous dildo, but that wouldn't actually help you hold the firearm any steadier.
Sabosect
That's why you stick the barrel of the gun out the window and rapidly pull the trigger.

Realistically? It depends. I'm not going to say it's impossible for someone to act as a marksman or that it's possible. In this world, it'll be just our luck there's some guy out there that can hit you accurately with a shotgun while mortars rain around his vehicle and they're driving a vehicle with two blown tires on a Missouri road while being constantly slammed into by the target.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
You might know more clearly that your point of aim is wiggling everywhere like a 7 foot long gelatinous dildo, but that wouldn't actually help you hold the firearm any steadier.

Your seven foot long gelatinous dildo, on the other hand, may in fact discourage said pursuit.
bclements
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 21 2005, 06:45 PM)
You might know more clearly that your point of aim is wiggling everywhere like a 7 foot long gelatinous dildo, but that wouldn't actually help you hold the firearm any steadier.

Your seven foot long gelatinous dildo, on the other hand, may in fact discourage said pursuit.

Yeah, that's pretty sig-worthy grinbig.gif
Sabosect
Already claimed it.
Slump
I'm not very sure on the vehicle combat rules, but wouldn't the TN modifiers for the car being under a medium wound (+2) apply? Cummulative with any of your own wound modifiers, of course (and probably those of the driver, as well).
hyzmarca
There is a +2 penality for firing an unmounted weapon from a moving vehicle. There are also several speed, size, terrain, and manuvering score based modifiers in the manual gunnery table on page 153 of the BBB.

One should note, however, that these modifiers make it reasonably possible for a pistol adept with vision mag on a bicycle to shoot down a 747.
Actualy, with the modifiers on the table at least one comercial airliner should be shot down by a bicycle-riding pistol adept every week.
ShadowDragon8685
Jousting is the sport of Knights on horseback armed with lances, not Shadowrunners in Ford Americars armed with 7-foot long gelatinious dildos.

(Coulden't resist.)
John Campbell
Hey, you do it your way, we'll do it ours.
ShadowDragon8685
Depends, are you 'jousting' at the rear section of a female dragon/greater dragon, and does the sport consist of rapidly throwing the car between forward and reverse? nyahnyah.gif
John Campbell
No, that would be silly. And gross. Jeez.
Snow_Fox
A hsot gun or smg or mg firing a lead stream/cloud would compensate for that. With a hand gun instead of trying to shift to the moving car, I would sight on a point and wait for the bad guy's car to drift into that point.
Sabosect
Comming in 2071: Gelatinous dildo car jousting! Only on RFN (Runner Fragging Network)!
Wounded Ronin
I don't think that +2 is enough of a penalty, really. It should be harder to hit someone from a moving vehicle than it is to headshot someone who is holding still when you're in a good firing position. (i.e., +4 for the called shot)

That's why I threw out the +6 figure, as a thought.
nick012000
Like they said, there are other modifiers based off of speed and whatnot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012