Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Otaku weapon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyxll
I just though of a cool idea. If otaku are walking talking jacked in antennae, you could easily kill them with a beam weapon that transmits the kill code from black ice.

Sounds like a cool nasty doomsday plot.... a repeater signal that kills everyone that can wirelessly jack in.

Wireless matrix Otaku. Ha ... stupidest idea of the year award. Welcome to the wireless generation moron.
Kanada Ten
Yeah, ok. We just use MP lasers, kills less discriminately.
Catsnightmare
ROTFLMAO

I LIKE IT!
Nyxll
Oh ... I got another one ... what if you ping flood the Otaku? Can you DOS them?
Is their IP number 127.0.0.1?

What if an Otaku gets a cold and starts transmitting a virus or a worm? Will other Otaku get it over the Matrix?

If an Otaku is wirelessly tuned, does this mean an Otaku gets free long distance calling?
Kanada Ten
Can you DOS or otherwise use modern hacker methods against any other SR node?
Nyxll
I would imagine that each person in the host would take up resources. (deckers would sleeze the resources off as some other process.) But there are packet transmissions and data processed. If you use up so many resources that you bog down a host you could essentially DOS it.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Aug 21 2005, 09:07 PM)
I would imagine that each person in the host would take up resources.  (deckers would sleeze the resources off as some other process.)  But there are packet transmissions and data processed. If you use up so many resources that you bog down a host you could essentially DOS it.

This was possible in SR1 and SR2, but not in SR3 - hosts strictly controlled dataflow until the decker took it over. I imagine a control test against an Technomancer in his or her own mind wouldn't be an easy affair, but probably doable. Not sure why this is a bad thing, otaku have always had the added danger for the increase in "economy".

[edit] If it's allowed, the very first thing a Technomancer would do is sandbox (virtual machine) his host connection.
nezumi
At minimum, you could give them a pretty wicked headache.

Hurrah again for tin foil hats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012