Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Megacorps
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Not having System Failure at this point is a hindrance (hopefully corrected ASAP), but what do you think of the corps as presented in SR4?

EDIT: For the record, the AAA corps are Ares, Aztechnology, Evo, Horizon Group, NeoNET, Mitsuhama, Renraku, Saeder-Krupp, Shiawase, Wuxing.
hahnsoo
Evo is just Yamatetsu renamed. Same corp, different name, less Japanese (but they already moved to Russia in the wake of the Comet).
NeoNET is basically Novatech (it even retains the old Fuchi/Novatech star), with Transys Neuronet and Erika.
Horizon was a surprise. There were a couple of references to it in the SOTA books, but that's about it. No telling what the developers are planning for them, as I thought they were just some rinky-dink PR firm.
bclements
Celedyr still involved in NeoNET?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (bclements)
Celedyr still involved in NeoNET?

*shrugs* Who knows? Doesn't say in SR4, as far as I could tell.
Wireknight
I doubt that Celedyr, with his controlling interest in Transys in the mid-2060s, would relinquish control of the Transys assets of Neonet at the time of the merger, especially given the power that Neonet (basically to the WMI/Matrix 2.0 what Fuchi was to the original Matrix) now possesses.
blinkin
Did anyone else notice that Horizon Group was listed as being in LA as in CalFree, when LA is now in PCC?
tisoz
I recall they schemed with PCC when getting the corp seat, maybe part of the deal was getting LA back to CalFree, or maybe the flood had an effect. I'll look.

So far I noticed Ute and PCC merged.

Only says LA is now an island, would have been underwater except for sea walls.
Demonseed Elite
Did anyone else notice that Horizon Group was listed as being in LA as in CalFree, when LA is now in PCC?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a typo and should say L.A. is in PCC.
imperialus
I betcha Deus is really the behind the scenes CEO of Horizon wobble.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a typo and should say L.A. is in PCC.

Add it to the erratta sticky. The page number is 42.
SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)

What sea walls?

BTW, I just realized the merger of Ute and PCC also now shifts the power and borders of Denver.
Sabosect
Does anyone besides me smell Escape From L.A. when it comes to this?
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 22 2005, 09:08 PM)

What sea walls?

Probably the ones they built to keep it from being underwater. Why they'd bother putting in the effort is something that escapes me, unless they think it will become prime realestate once the brine drains back into the ocean? But then it'll just be a big salt-flat on what has become the most geologically unstable stretch of coast in the world.
Sabosect
Is it possible the walls were not put in as sea walls, but became such when the water flowed in?
blakkie
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Is it possible the walls were not put in as sea walls, but became such when the water flowed in?

If they were that would have been some seriously over-engineered walls.
Sabosect
Well, considering the tendency of your average runner to be able to eventually get ahold of enough explosives to level Seattle, I would call it a necessity. Especially if you want to keep the people who are violent enough to use those explosives on the other side of said wall. Which side is the other side really doesn't matter that much at this point.
SL James
Well, I'm just curious why they were ever put in, and when.

BTW, if you want to guess who's behind Horizon, consider that it was Hestaby who recommended that the High Prince hire them to do PR for the Tir.
hermit
So now, we have three greats wth pet megacorps ... Celedyr has NeoNET, Loffy has SK, and Hestaby has Horizon ... urgh, and I found the shasta shamen spooky enough ...

It's a good explanation for their different, group-oriented management structure, though. and all in a completely bug-less way.

I hope Hesty gets her own entry in the threats file from now on, too.
JongWK
Hestaby might have recommended them out of sheer competence.

Or, you know, it could be that even dragons can be tricked by good ol' Hollywood PR. devil.gif
Demonseed Elite
So now, we have three greats wth pet megacorps ... Celedyr has NeoNET, Loffy has SK, and Hestaby has Horizon ... urgh, and I found the shasta shamen spooky enough ...

Way overspeculation alert!
blakkie
QUOTE (JongWK)

Or, you know, it could be that even dragons can be tricked by good ol' Hollywood PR. devil.gif

Or Hestaby got a real juicey "turn in your friends" bonus for tossing work Horizon's way.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Evo is just Yamatetsu renamed. Same corp, different name, less Japanese (but they already moved to Russia in the wake of the Comet).

Possibly, possibly not. They seem to be pushing the transhumanist angle a fair bit and the reference of a base on Mars keeps making me think of one of my favourite games. biggrin.gif How far can you, and are willing to, go beyond being merely metahuman?

NeoNET is basically Novatech (it even retains the old Fuchi/Novatech star), with Transys Neuronet and Erika.

Does it say that they actually joined up though? Yes they teamed up to introduce the new matrix, but it doesn't specifically say they merged. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part since Transys was my favourite AA.

Edit: Whoa! The description of Saeder-Krupp says that Lofwyr owns 'nearly 100% of this German based megacorp'. So this means that either it's a typo of someone finally managed to get a toe in the door of the dragon's personal fief. Although the history bit mentions EMP strikes on key matrix nodes when the books have been saying for decades that Shadowrun's optical computing chips make EMP's absolutely worthless against them. :/
SL James
QUOTE (JongWK)

Yeah, except that the description also jives with some of her stated goals and M.O. in Dragons of the Sixth World as well.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Sabosect)

as i remember things a wall was put around part of LA, south central i believe due to the riotous nature and gang problem in the area....it was called The Inferno i could be wrong in this however.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Aug 23 2005, 09:09 PM)
Possibly, possibly not. They seem to be pushing the transhumanist angle a fair bit and the reference of a base on Mars keeps making me think of one of my favourite games. biggrin.gif How far can you, and are willing to, go beyond being merely metahuman?

The corporate logo is the same, and the book literally says "Evo is Yamatetsu's new name". Can't get much more blatant than that.
Does it say that they actually joined up though? Yes they teamed up to introduce the new matrix, but it doesn't specifically say they merged. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part since Transys was my favourite AA.
I have no idea if Transys/Erika simply bought into Novatech's stock during the IPO, if they merged together, or if they simply have an alliance. From what I've read, it seems like they merged to form NeoNET (which makes them sound like the old Fuchi, three corps, one name).

Edit: Actually, on p34, it says that Transys and Erika merged, and Novatech joined the merger, and the combined corp became NeoNET. So there ya go.
Edit: Whoa! The description of Saeder-Krupp says that Lofwyr owns 'nearly 100% of this German based megacorp'. So this means that either it's a typo of someone finally managed to get a toe in the door of the dragon's personal fief.
Or Lofwyr has rewarded several loyal servants with small bits of stock. Also, he might have acquired the majority share of companies he gobbled up, with minor shareholders still around wondering who their new CEO/Chairman is...
SL James
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 23 2005, 03:23 AM)

as i remember things a wall was put around part of LA, south central i believe due to the riotous nature and gang problem in the area....it was called The Inferno i could be wrong in this however.

Yeah, around south central and the mid-cities, all of which are several miles inland.

They were also knocked down during the last Big One in Year of the Comet (You know, there's a reason why they call it The Big One. It's not really TBO if it happens several times in one decade.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012