Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The New State of CyberLimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Casper
So if anyone who was lucky enough to grab a BBB of SR4 at con able to answer the question: did cyber limbs get fixed to become a actual praticle choice of cyberware or are they just glorified tool boxes again that eat to much essence?
hahnsoo
Lots of cyberware are significantly cheaper, including Cyberlimbs. You can do a full body conversion into chrome for 90,000 nuyen, if you'd like. smile.gif Increases in rating (all limbs start at Strength/Agility/Body of 3) can be purchased for 200-300 nuyen per rating point. Capacity rules are very similar to what they were before, so you can load up on accessories and such.
SL James
I wouldn't say you can really load up on accessories. Not for synthetic cyberlimbs, anyway.
Casper
How about essence cost? Sure you can go full chrome for cheap but does that still cost like 6.5 essence. For increasing attributes it still seems like it would be easier to just have a stat naturally and way to costly to increase a cyberlimb to actually do cool cyber limb feats.
SL James
Someone mentioned that cyberskulls are beyond starting availability, so if essence costs remain constant (which it looks like they did), then you can only get 5.5 essence plus whatever additional mods exist to increase your physical attributes. So you're close to full-borg, but not quite.
hahnsoo
A full chrome conversion would cost 6.25 essence, but considering the low prices, you can easily get that in Alphaware at character creation. But barring limits on character creation, let's cook up a theoretical example of maxing out a full body (no skull conversion for this particular example, just to save Essence):
2 Cyberarms
2 Cyberlegs
1 Cybertorso
80,000 nuyen

Upgrade all limbs and torso to Body 10 from Body 3 = 5 * 1400 nuyen = 7000 nuyen
Upgrade all limbs and torso to Agility 10 from Agility 3 = 5 * 1750 nuyen = 8750 nuyen
Upgrade all limbs and torso to Strength 10 from Strength 3 = 5 * 1750 nuyen = 8750 nuyen.
Natural armor of 4 on all limbs and torso = 5 * 1200 nuyen = 6000 nuyen

Total cost for Chrome Conversion, except head = 110,500 nuyen
And you'd have 10s in Body, Agility, and Strength. Individual enhancements are probably cheaper as bioware (4 levels of muscle augmentation and muscle toner is 60,000 nuyen), but the whole Cyberlimb Chrome Conversion package is actually a lot cheaper than getting Orthoskin/Dermal Plating + Muscle Augmentation + Muscle Toner + Bone Density Augmentation/Bone Lacing all combined.
SL James
I thought Augmentations were capped at Racial Max * 1.5. Couldn't you only increase B, A, and S to 9 then for Humans?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 22 2005, 05:52 PM)
I thought Augmentations were capped at Racial Max * 1.5. Couldn't you only increase B, A, and S to 9 then for Humans?

Meh. Let's say it was an Ork or a Dwarf then with Exceptional Attribute: Agility. smile.gif I was making the most ridiculous example of the Full Chrome Conversion just to see how much it would cost.

EDIT: Bleh, another thing is that there is limited Capacity in arms and legs, 15 and 20 respectively, and you can only put a limited amount of enhancements because each point would use up a point of capacity. So really, you are looking at all 8s or something similar. I guess it would be cheaper. smile.gif
SL James
Ah. Such trickery. You'd think by their nature cyberlimbs would start out at one point higher than racial average, you know, being mechanical and all. That'd get you across the board 9s. And can I assume that like in Man & Machine, higher grade cyberlimbs have reduced capacity?

Thanks for the info, though.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
Ah. Such trickery. You'd think by their nature cyberlimbs would start out at one point higher than racial average, you know, being mechanical and all. That'd get you across the board 9s. And can I assume that like in Man & Machine, higher grade cyberlimbs have reduced capacity?

Gotta make up for those cost cuts somewhere. Just be careful not to try to save even more by buying Reconditioned or 'New' stuff from those SoCal wholesalers. If you read the warrantee carefully you'll see that defects and damage from salt-water corrosion aren't covered. wink.gif
Backgammon
I've wanted to make full cyborgs for SO LONG... I'm so happy!!
Cain
You always could, under SR3. 4 Cyberlimbs, cybertorso, cyberskull; all alpha, and you've done it. To do it at chargen, make it all used alpha.
Casper
b biggrin.gif
nezumi
I think by 'full borg' he meant a character who's body is made up entirely of cyber, not a character who's body is made up entirely of suck. The SR4 rules seem much kinder in that regard.
Wireknight
I wonder why it was decided that it's fully plausible to start with a full cybernetic replacement of the torso and all limbs, but replacing the skull is somehow past a line that shall not be crossed before play begins.
hobgoblin
how does SR4 handle mismatched cyberlimb stats? like say i have one limb ith body 5 and another with body 3. is it the same avaraging that was in SR3?

as for the alpha grade having less space stuff, from what i have read on this forum it seems that anything added to a bit of cyberware have to be the same grade as the base cyberware. im guessing that you have to add a markup to whatever equipment you want to install in a limb to indicate it being reworked to work that grade limb. makes a bit more sense then decreasing available space atleast nyahnyah.gif
Demonseed Elite
I wonder why it was decided that it's fully plausible to start with a full cybernetic replacement of the torso and all limbs, but replacing the skull is somehow past a line that shall not be crossed before play begins.

I was curious about that too, seems a bit odd. I might just go the GitS: 2nd Gig route and claim that talented facial artists for unique cyber-replacement heads are hard to find. If the character wants an off-the-shelf face (thousands of people look just like you!) or a shoddy design like the guy in GitS whose mouth barely moves when he talks, then you can get one at the start. nyahnyah.gif
Crusher Bob
The guy in GITS whose lips don't move when he talks has brain damage?, he has no control over muscles in his face. It took a really good face artist to make him a face that was more or less normal looking. Speaking more generally a 'fractally generated' face based off a generic template will provide you with a unique look, you'll just have a lot of 'siblings'. Getting an acutal unique face would take a bit more work.
tisoz
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
how does SR4 handle mismatched cyberlimb stats? like say i have one limb ith body 5 and another with body 3. is it the same avaraging that was in SR3?

Of course not.

If using just one limb, use its stats. If using more than a limb, average the stats - unless it requires the careful coordination of several limbs, then use the lowest rating. Partial limbs only effect that limbs use. (page335)
hobgoblin
sounds similar to how SR3 did it to me...
except for that use lowest when careful coordination is needed...
tisoz
The cyberlimbs in SR3 got so rule-screwed, I never had a character use them.
hahnsoo
Oh, just a note: While Cyberlimbs no longer directly add to your Body (a pair of cyberarms used to give +1 Body, while a pair of cyberlegs added +2), each cyberlimb (with torsos and head counting as one "limb") adds 1 box to your Physical Damage meter. Your Body could still increase from upgrading the Body rating of your cyberlimbs, as well.
Chiba Cowboy
I am glad they seem to have made cyberlimbs more reasonable (the were utterly useless under SR3). My major worry was that they would go overboard and into Cyberpunk 2020 mode. It sounds like they got the balance right. No minibar in the leg cavity though?
hahnsoo
I wouldn't say they were utterly useless in SR3; they were just expensive and tended to be Essence hogs if you just got the limb and no other built-in devices. They were a great way to save on Essence for certain characters with the capacity rules. I think 2 of our riggers in our past games have had cybernetic RC decks with signal boosters built into their arms or legs, simply because it saved them a boatload of essence. And our 1 character with a tactical computer had it built into his cyberarm (saved a LOT of essence there).
tisoz
Yep, good for suitcases.

But since the S & Q ratings were so low or required even more essence, they would drag down the characters attribute when averaged, and usually hurt Reaction and combat pool. Those mods were severe enough to keep people I knew away from them.
Chiba Cowboy
That certainly would work but I think you were probably playing on a different level to our group. You are certainly correct about the cost though. For one of the more low-tech and immensly useful bits of 'ware, the costs were extortionate.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (tisoz)
But since the S & Q ratings were so low or required even more essence, they would drag down the characters attribute when averaged, and usually hurt Reaction and combat pool. Those mods were severe enough to keep people I knew away from them.

Ah, well, they weren't great for the uber-modified sammy characters (although my favorite Street Sam character from SR2 was one of my friends who had a pair of cyberarms with cyber shotguns). But for most of our Drone Riggers and Technophiles, the Strength and Quickness mods were an improvement or gave no change.
Blacken
I've had a SR3 elven assassin with an obvious cyberarm (backstory being that he's "too poor" to replace it with a synthetic). Of course, it concealed a boatload of weapons, including a pair of cyberdartguns loaded with G-S and cyanide; that alone was worth the Quickness penalty (his strength was average anyway, so the STR 7 of his arm was an improvement). I rebuilt him on the MUD in my signature; he's my favorite character so far.
Triggerz
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Lots of cyberware are significantly cheaper, including Cyberlimbs. You can do a full body conversion into chrome for 90,000 nuyen, if you'd like. smile.gif Increases in rating (all limbs start at Strength/Agility/Body of 3) can be purchased for 200-300 nuyen per rating point. Capacity rules are very similar to what they were before, so you can load up on accessories and such.

By "all limbs start at...", do you mean that the stats are the same for all races? Even for trolls? I would have assumed they'd get huge arms with potentially higher strength than the human-sized version. If max strength is 6 without a cybertorso, I guess we won't see too many trolls with any kind of cyberlimbs.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Triggerz)
By "all limbs start at...", do you mean that the stats are the same for all races? Even for trolls? I would have assumed they'd get huge arms with potentially higher strength than the human-sized version. If max strength is 6 without a cybertorso, I guess we won't see too many trolls with any kind of cyberlimbs.

Yup, even for Trolls. That's something that most folks will want to House Rule, I think. I think they don't make mention of the Troll arms because of the potential for Abuse (I'm gonna have a Dwarf with Troll Cyberarms!)
Milo Simpkin
Most? wink.gif

I still kinda think that if it's something that most to all people are going to houserule then it should be in the main rules, even as an 'optional sidebar'.

I presume there is still bioware strength boosts? If so, you mean you could get to the point where someone has a strength of 6{8} [natural(bioware)] throughout their body, but if they want to put a cyberarm on then the maximum they can get it to is 6 because their poor ol' meat body can't take a strength above that in a cyberarm.
Triggerz
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Triggerz @ Aug 25 2005, 06:17 PM)

Yup, even for Trolls. That's something that most folks will want to House Rule, I think. I think they don't make mention of the Troll arms because of the potential for Abuse (I'm gonna have a Dwarf with Troll Cyberarms!)

hehe Why not? I'd give the dwarf penalties on pretty much everything he does though. Driving? Good one!!! Minus 3 on all rolls. There has to be a penalty on movement rates as well, and another one on any kind of social test (but a bonus for intimidation nyahnyah.gif), and and and... back problems with chronic pains and a truckload of other side effects resulting from getting a cyberarm twice as big as appropriate. I still think that a troll should be able to get cyberarms that don't totally suck. And it's rather sad that it wasn't included in the BBB. Oh! Well... It's not like a troll's flesh arm isn't killer enough already. But yeah, I guess I'll houserule that too if I ever want a troll with a cyberarm in a campaign.

Thanks for the info!
Milo Simpkin
QUOTE (Triggerz)
There has to be a penalty on movement rates as well

Actually I played a Dwarf like this under Second Ed. We actually gave him a bonus to movement rates....well running multiplier to x3 as long as he was prepared to knuckle lope wink.gif
Triggerz
QUOTE (Milo Simpkin)
QUOTE (Triggerz @ Aug 25 2005, 06:41 PM)
There has to be a penalty on movement rates as well

Actually I played a Dwarf like this under Second Ed. We actually gave him a bonus to movement rates....well running multiplier to x3 as long as he was prepared to knuckle lope wink.gif

As a GM, I would allow the bonus if he had two arms like that (which I assume is what he had). grinbig.gif But yeah... hehe It should at least be possible for trolls to get troll arms.
tisoz
I'm assuming they are troll arms just starting at strength 3.

[edit] ...But then there's that one picture...
Dashifen
Can anyone explain the capacity of cyberlimbs to me or point me to the page explaining it? Why is it that the capcity of the limbs on page 336 is lower than the capacity of the accessories on 337. I'm not getting that rating at all. I would have assumed that to fit an accessory into the limb you'd need to have capacity in the limb for the accessory? But, if that's the case then none of the limbs can fit any of the accessories.

Also where are the rules for augmenting the limb's base statistics? I didn't see those in the street gear section.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Can anyone explain the capacity of cyberlimbs to me or point me to the page explaining it? Why is it that the capcity of the limbs on page 336 is lower than the capacity of the accessories on 337. I'm not getting that rating at all. I would have assumed that to fit an accessory into the limb you'd need to have capacity in the limb for the accessory? But, if that's the case then none of the limbs can fit any of the accessories.

Also where are the rules for augmenting the limb's base statistics? I didn't see those in the street gear section.

It's a tabstop error. Shift the Category headings on p336 over to the right. A full Arm, for example, has 15 Capacity units.

The enhancements are just below the list of Cyberlimbs, same page.
Dashifen
I see... thanks! I didn't notice the enhancements I was so confused by the above table. Errata noted and understood.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012