Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yakuza in the news
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Yakuza names new leader

Also, older stories about Yakuza and corporations and members getting out.
Velocity
Okay, first of all: thanks again for the inteersting links, DE. You never fail to disrupt my work schedule. smile.gif

Secondly, wtf is up with Maria Niino (she operates the New Body Institute and her photo is lower in the article)?! Am I the only one who finds her incredibly creepy?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Velocity)
Okay, first of all: thanks again for the inteersting links, DE. You never fail to disrupt my work schedule. smile.gif

JWK is not the DE. This is not the droid you are looking for.
JongWK
Hush, you. I'm using this to convince INS that they should let me in. wink.gif
Velocity
Wow, that was weird. I read one thing and wrote another. I blame, uuh... well, realistically it's just inattention. embarrassed.gif Whoops.
tweak
Japan is a very interesting place. I went there last March. Game material doesn't quite work after experiencing Japan first hand.

One thing that jumps out at me from Shadowrun is nuyen, which I assume means new yen.

Well, in today's currency 100 YEN = $1 dollar. So when I see prices for 10,000 nuyen and look at the product listed, I have to laugh since in my mind I am quick to convert that to $100.

There are other things that jump out at me as well.

tweak
JongWK
In Shadowrun, 1 Nuyen equals 4 or 5 UCAS dollars.
Herald of Verjigorm
It's not unique to Shadowrun. Mexico (I think it's Mexico, might be one of the others nearby) is currently using what is technically the "New Peso." The value of the previous peso had dropped so low that the government decided to redefine their currency rather than take Italy's lead and start your coinage at 500 Lira (or whatever the smallest useful denomination is in Italy).
Accel
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
whatever the smallest useful denomination is in Italy.

That would exactly be 1 Euro-Cent. smile.gif
Nikoli
Well there is a reason for the movie cliche of paying people in US dollars.
hobgoblin
well if the us dollar keeps slipping it will soon be in euros. hmm, makes me think of cp2020...
Arethusa
Expect it to keep slipping as long as the Bush regime is in power.
Kyuhan
From the first article:
13 years in jail for murdering a rival gang boss with a sword

Did anybody else raise an eyebrow of dark humour at that?
tweak
The yakuza still kill with swords in Japan. That is why you have to register a sword as a weapon in Japan.

tweak
Kagetenshi
Well, that and the fact that a sword is a weapon.

~J
Arethusa
So are knives. To my knowledge, those do not require registration in Japan. In America, swords are still weapons, but only handguns and assault rifles have to be registered (to varying degrees, depending on state, etc). Ultimately, what has to be registered and tracked has little to do with what is being registered and tracked and everything to do with the government and the culture.
tweak
And those cultural elements enrich the roleplay experience.

tweak
Wounded Ronin
For me, any and all yakuza, ninja, or samurai source material originating in the US has to do with the 80s, rather than with real Japan, which is why I like it.
Snow_Fox
DLN sent me this story last week. What I find amazing is that the mob bosses are publically known like this. It's not like in the US where it's an open secret, like jophn Gotti in NYC was, but it is written here lie a fact, that the gumi have pubilcally known bosses like you could find them in the yellow pages.
Kagetenshi
You've never lived in Boston, have you?

~J
tweak
The Yakuza is more accepted in Japan than the Mafia is in the US.

tweak
TheNarrator
Well, that's probably because the Yakuza have been operating in Japan since before there was a US to have Mafia in. smile.gif
Fresno Bob
Also, the Japanese would probably be less prone to voicing their disapproval.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012