Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLA....Huh?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BookWyrm
After reading the newest Press Release about SoLA, I'm a tad confused. So, this book is NOT being printed, but you still have to buy it online as a PDF, then print it out; or will it be available free as a serialised download?
Kagetenshi
Free.

~J
BookWyrm
Excellent. smile.gif Much thanks.
Grinder
Taken of the press release: "Called “Holostreets,” this online community expects to be live and running within the next year."

Well, that's a release date even FanPro might hit. biggrin.gif
Snow_Fox
do the writers still get paid, even though the company effectively pulls the product?
Ancient History
Yes, those who worked on still get paid.
The Canterbury Tail
Yes it's going to be free through Holostreets, but isn't Holostreets going to be a paid subscription access service?
Demonseed Elite
I think that the SoLA sections will be a free promotion for Holostreets, to encourage people to sign up for the subscription service. That's the impression I've gotten so far.
JongWK
Same here.
Kagetenshi
Who does the money go to for Holostreets? All Battlecorps, or does FanPro take a cut?

~J
Mugzy
A free PDF?

Well, time to go get another ink cartridge and fire up the old printer again. Haven't done this since the Dragons.pdf for Earthdawn (Thanks to AH for keeping that one around).

If I have to have it bound myself, I'll have a hardcopy of this one. After reading some of the lead in material (Tequila Blues), this is one I've been waiting for.
Adam
QUOTE (Grinder)
Well, that's a release date even FanPro might hit. biggrin.gif

Except FanPro doesn't run Holostreets.

Holostreets is run by InMediaRes, the same guys that run BattleCorps. Their license is with WizKids, not with FanPro. FanPro will work with them as it benefits both of us, of course, but they are solely responsible for their release dates. smile.gif
JongWK
QUOTE (Mugzy)
If I have to have it bound myself, I'll have a hardcopy of this one. After reading some of the lead in material (Tequila Blues), this is one I've been waiting for.

I take you liked the story? Thanks. smile.gif

Now, if I could convince Rob of making a few late minute changes... (pictures hordes of insect spirits razing Buenos Aires, in Starship Troopers-style) biggrin.gif
BookWyrm
If it does become available, I'll save it & take it to Kinko's & have them print it & bind it.
Grinder
QUOTE (Adam)
Except FanPro doesn't run Holostreets.

Holostreets is run by InMediaRes, the same guys that run BattleCorps. Their license is with WizKids, not with FanPro. FanPro will work with them as it benefits both of us, of course, but they are solely responsible for their release dates. smile.gif

Oh, sorry.
Velocity
Just to be sure, Shadows of Latin America is a third-edition book, yes? I realize that it will be 'rules-light' and 'content-heavy' (yay!), but given the five-year leap between third and fourth edition, flavour and content will be affected.
Elve
I hope it will be similar to SoA, which is really good content and flavour wise and has (to my oppinion) surprisingly many rules inside smile.gif
Demonseed Elite
Just to be sure, Shadows of Latin America is a third-edition book, yes? I realize that it will be 'rules-light' and 'content-heavy' (yay!), but given the five-year leap between third and fourth edition, flavour and content will be affected.

Yes, but most of the material will still be very handy and applicable. Just like I still use my Aztlan and Tir Tairngire sourcebooks often, even though they were written for earlier editions.

In fact, some things in SoLA will make some 4th edition events much clearer.
Velocity
I still use my Aztlan book all the time; it's one of my favourite sourcebooks, actually.
Grinder
QUOTE (Elve)
I hope it will be similar to SoA, which is really good content and flavour wise and has (to my oppinion) surprisingly many rules inside smile.gif

But the chapter about India was wayyyyy to short. frown.gif

btw: veganer Katzenernährung biggrin.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Grinder)
But the chapter about India was wayyyyy to short. :(

There's only so many pages in any book. I would have loved to have had half a dozen more.
Snow_Fox
If they aren't selling it for profit, are you free of the NDA?
Paul
That's a damn good question.
Synner
NDAs are binding. For all intents and purposes this is a normal FanPro assignment as far as writers, editors and developers are concerned regardless of what FanPro decided to do with the material. Also note that SoLA material will be considered canon despite being released in this format and as Demonseed has suggested it will shed some light on events leading up to the five year gap, System Failure and the status quo in 2070.
Snow_Fox
So it's canon but there is no way for normal folks who aren't able to down load large files, to get it. nice.

To quote Blackadder Christmas: "DAAAAMMMMN!"
Adam
The delivery format hasn't been finalized -- it's up to HoloStreets. I suspect they'll be splitting it into a bunch of bite-sized pieces.

I'm not sure what you mean about "large files", either -- just looking at the Shadows of Asia eBook, for example -- it's 232 pages, and about 17MB. It's heftier than it could be [went for higher quality art in that release as opposed to compressing it as much as normal...], but even on a 56K dialup that's a download of less than 2 hours, and probably closer to 1. Easily done while you're off doing something else.

Or, of course, it would be done in a few minutes if you borrowed a friend's high-speed connection, and then burnt it to a CD-ROM.
fistandantilus4.0
what the heck is Holostreets anyways? Is it a site?
Adam
HoloStreets is an upcoming subscription site designed and run by the same guys who run BattleCorps for Classic BattleTech. It will offer -- on a subscription basis -- original fiction and game material for Shadowrun, and probably some other goodies [BattleCorps, for instance, also hosts developer chats, message boards, and offers a discount on items bought in the BattleShop to subscribers]
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks Adam for the quick reply. ANy idea when they're coming up or general prices?
Vairdic
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Thanks Adam for the quick reply. ANy idea when they're coming up or general prices?

Right now wer're still in the last parts of contract negotiation with WizKids, and are working to define precisely what is the best thing we can do for Shadowrun and the players and GMs. Part of this is determining how much will be fiction, and how much will be source, what we'll need to put out monthly that won't overwhelm customers (what? you mean an adventure a day is too much? Ya'll don't play daily??) or leave them wanting. That of course ties into the pricing.

To keep up on news as it happens, checkout and sign up for the Holostreets.com mailing list [ www.holostreets.com ]. We'll let those people know first what's up. Don't expect to be flooded with email though, as it's an announcement only list.

Lastly, if you've got any thoughts on what YOU'D like to see Holostreets do, feel free to send me an email at contact@holostreets.com and I'll make sure we go over it at our meetings. Be aware that I won't be able to reply to every email, but I'll try.

Hope this Helps!
fistandantilus4.0
It does, thank you
Grinder
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 30 2005, 08:23 PM)
But the chapter about India was wayyyyy to short.  frown.gif

There's only so many pages in any book. I would have loved to have had half a dozen more.

Guess we all here think the same smile.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 30 2005, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 30 2005, 08:23 PM)
But the chapter about India was wayyyyy to short.  frown.gif

Guess we all here think the same smile.gif

Leave 'em wanting more. Good show Synner! And hey, Jay, nice work on Tibet.
Demonseed Elite
Thanks smile.gif
Synner
notworthy.gif
BookWyrm
If it were only downloadable as a massively large file, I think my system could handle it. If not, I'd just copy it directly to CD-rom. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012