Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Wireless Broadband
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
CNN story

70 Mb/second? That's... fast.
Spookymonster
Not if that's the total bandwidth shared by 1000+ people within the 40 mile radius of the antenna (and that's a light day).
Kagetenshi
Indeed. ~1,250 people drops it to dialup speeds.

~J
Supercilious
I drop my neighbors connection to dial-up speeds.

I wish I could afford my own internet...
SirBedevere
The bandwidth issue is one of the problems I have with the Wireless Matrix.
Grinder
It's 65 years in the future - there will be some high-tech solutions to this problems. smile.gif
Lindt
So you just have a LOT of 75mb nodes. Just remember 10 years ago we where still in 28.8k dialup land.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (SirBedevere @ Aug 30 2005, 04:52 AM)
The bandwidth issue is one of the problems I have with the Wireless Matrix.

Several futurists have predicted the use of overlapping, interconnected micronodes, as opposed to the supernodes used by WiMax. These micronodes would work in a similar function to how your mobile phone hops from tower to tower as you drive; your phone (or network device) negotiates the transfer between the weaker and stronger connections. A similar scheme could be used to smooth-out high-traffic zones (e.g. business districts, convention centers). More micronodes would mean less congestion. Micropayments - transaction fees of 1 cent or less per MB or per minute - would encourage businesses to create such micronodes as a revenue stream, similar to the ubiquitous deli ATM machines.

Of course, all this assumes the existence of cheap, high-speed fiber (or better) backbones; the more bandwidth you need, the more fiber you lay. If SR4 really is insisting that the Matrix is based on a global wireless/satellite backbone, your bandwidth is ultimately restricted by distance and the size of the spectrum of usable frequencies.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 30 2005, 05:01 AM)
It's 65 years in the future - there will be some high-tech solutions to this problems.  smile.gif

I have a Mr. Claude Shannon who would like to disagree with you.

~J
Supercilious
QUOTE (Lindt)
So you just have a LOT of 75mb nodes. Just remember 10 years ago we where still in 28.8k dialup land.

You mean 2000 baud?
Grinder
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 30 2005, 05:01 AM)
It's 65 years in the future - there will be some high-tech solutions to this problems.  smile.gif

I have a Mr. Claude Shannon who would like to disagree with you.

~J

I'm sure an immortal nazi elf or a great dragon will convince mr. shannon of his mistakes and provide him with an idea how to increase the bandwith. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012