Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Max Deck Memory...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fox1
Looking over the rules for building decks from the Matrix book it seems there is no limit on Active Memory. Is this the case or I have overlooked something?

No limit on Storage either, but that seems reasonable.

Also limits on Hardening, I/O seem much higher than the Stock systems while Response Increase is basically on the money.

What are people's experience with allowing custom decks to be built by players?
interchange
I don't think there should be a limit to active memory other than what you can afford and what you can use.

If you look at computers today, we are more restricted by 32-bit barrier than anything. Once we are fully transitioned to 64-bit, we'll have a lot more memory space to work with if we can write software that takes advantage of it. On the server side of things, you can have quite a bit of RAM if you pay the cost. If money is not an issue, it should be virtually unlimited in the SR world. It's not like having a ton of active memory is necessarily a huge advantage. You still have to have the software to make use of it.
Cray74
QUOTE (Fox1)
Looking over the rules for building decks from the Matrix book it seems there is no limit on Active Memory. Is this the case or I have overlooked something?

That's correct.

Also limits on Hardening, I/O seem much higher than the Stock systems

Right - room for expansion and improvement on even high-end decks.

What are people's experience with allowing custom decks to be built by players?

Time is the big stumbling block to a cheap, home built deck.

Money is the next big stumbling block and is usually the key limiter to memory size.

Fox1

So no limit to active memory. Good to know my reading skills haven't decayed that much smile.gif

So no one has noticed any balance problems with this? Back in the old 2nd edition days one would spend some effort balancing the size/rank of various programs with the limited space, it would seem all that is lost.

Btw, consider me as a newbie with respect to 3rd edition decking rules.

Sabosect
Pretty much, same issue. If you play your cards right, it's going to be a long time before that group has access to the necessary funds to get every toy their decker wants.
Fox1
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Pretty much, same issue. If you play your cards right, it's going to be a long time before that group has access to the necessary funds to get every toy their decker wants.

Does three years count? smile.gif

Because that's the real world length of my current campaign and they are at the edge of it now. That's why the question has come up.

And it's not every toy. It is however the first steps to some major (for my campaign anyway) toys.

interchange
QUOTE (Fox1)
So no one has noticed any balance problems with this? Back in the old 2nd edition days one would spend some effort balancing the size/rank of various programs with the limited space, it would seem all that is lost.

Well, the nuyen.gif is a big deal for both the active memory and the cost of the programs that can really use it.

Also, you don't need to keep your programs in active memory unless you are using them at the time; of course, you don't want to be buying time to load your sweet Attack-D program when some nasty IC is on your tail, either biggrin.gif.

It's still a factor, but mostly because you'd be wise to put your nuyen.gif elsewhere when the budget is tight. But that's only my opinion, and that's why it's a custom cyberdeck.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 31 2005, 03:36 PM)

Does three years count? smile.gif

Because that's the real world length of my current campaign and they are at the edge of it now. That's why the question has come up.

And it's not every toy. It is however the first steps to some major (for my campaign anyway) toys.

After three years, if they have the cred to do it, let them. I mean it. Really, there's no reason why you shouldn't. Just up the challenges they recieve as a result of word getting out.
Slump
Don't forget to remind the decker to buy everything execpt I/O speed from a deckmeister. 500 active memory costs 5,750 doing it yourself, but 3,750 from a deckmeister.

I/O Speed costs 10x if you go through deckmeister compared to doing it yourself.
ShadowDragon8685
o.O

Were the people who did the DIY rules like, asleep or something?
Slump
You can have a deckmeister build you a knock-off fairlight excalibur for a bit over list price, but if you make it yourself (assuming you buy the software needed to run the firmware bits, like MPCP and Persona Chips), it costs well over 5mil.
hobgoblin
thing is that the design rules are made after the fact. ie, they have made the items in the BBB on a this-feels-good basis and then try to create a designsystem afterwards thats supposed to replicate those items but at the same time make sure that a person cant create the best stuff out of chargen.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Slump @ Sep 1 2005, 12:59 AM)
Don't forget to remind the decker to buy everything execpt I/O speed from a deckmeister.  500 active memory costs 5,750 doing it yourself, but 3,750 from a deckmeister.

I/O Speed costs 10x if you go through deckmeister compared to doing it yourself.

Um, what? OMCs cost .5Y*MP size, so 500 Active memory costs 2*.5*500 + 1.5*500 = 1250Y and an afternoon's worth of work to do yourself. Storage mem is dirt cheap to do yourself as well (500MP for 500Y); it's only the things that require software that are too damn expensive, mostly due to the MPsize of the software, to ever do yourself.

Now, upgrading a Bod chip, or your MPCP yourself, *that's* downright impossible.

(Edit) Ah, I see where the confusion came from. Check out the errata; OMCs cost one-tenth what they did a few years back. smile.gif
Slump
Maybe I will check the errata. According to my copy of Matrix, Active Memory costs (Memsize) * 11.5 (It doesn't come out and say this, but adding together everything, this is what it says). If I remember right, Storage memory was (memsize) * 5.5.
Eyeless Blond
Yeah, not anymore. Post-errata, active memory costs size * 2.5Y, and storage is size*1.0Y. It's all because OMCs are cheaper: size*0.5Y instead of size*5.0Y.
Fox1

All in all, the money for the Memory is basically insignificant. The software on the other hand costs big time in either money or time (for programming yourself).

I think all in all I'm going to house rule a active memory limit of some type based upon the MPCP.

Which of these sound best to people?

MPCP squared times 50 sound to people:
- Fairlight would have a max of 7200.
- Kraftwerk would have a max of 3200.
- The lowly Allegiance would have a max of 450.

MPCP squared times 40 sound to people:
- Fairlight would have a max of 5760.
- Kraftwerk would have a max of 2560.
- The lowly Allegiance would have a max of 360.

MPCP squared times 30 sound to people:
- Fairlight would have a max of 4320.
- Kraftwerk would have a max of 1920.
- The lowly Allegiance would have a max of 270.

I'm leaning towards 30 right now, but worry that I may be short changing the top end...

Aku
i wouldnt bother, for reasons stated above. first of all, consider current CD prices (what i liken OMC's to be similar too) they are dirt cheap as a general rule, especially as you start purchasing more and more units. Secondly, the cost of the softare to FILL your memory, i think, makes up for the low price of the OMC's, especially as you start getting into the higher values.

If you feel you HAVE to do some sort of multiplier, i think you'd be best of tiering it based on the mpcp, instead of using a flat multiplier. something like you're above examples, but give them ranges, like, mpcp 1-4 is the 30 multiplier, 5-8 is the second, and 9+ is the top tier. This sort of makes sense with a Real World ™ workings too. you can't get 2 Gb of DDR ram in a P1 computer system today.
Slump
We use MPCP squared * 50 for active memory, and unlimited for storage memory.

We chose the 50 multiplier so that you can have up to 50 multiplier worth of programs running at the same time (alot easier than adding up the actual sizes), but if you go into options, then you still have to add sizes.
RunnerPaul
Not that it really applies to this discussion, but there is a limit to how much active memory your cyberdeck can have, but only if it's a cranial cyberdeck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012