Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decking Question from a GM
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Velocity
So a PC decker is in a node. He can see another decker in there. How can he tell where that decker is jacking in from without alerting her? Can one stealthily run a "track" utility?
hobgoblin
not realy as using the track utility is a attack from what i can tell. alltho as a gm you could rule that if its done after doing a evade detection manouver that the target decker must roll sensor to see if he notice the attack.

atleast thats my view of things...
Velocity
Can the decker do anything to the node to see where it was accessed from?
Zeel De Mort
Perhaps you could read the log file (Dump Log operation). If the opposing decker generated some security tally, you could say that his Sleaze/Deception didn't work perfectly, and there are traces of his activities in there. Dump Log operation (p98 Matrix) details what you can expect to find there.

Likewise you could use the same argument to say that it's possible to find the opposing decker's MXP address in his local Grid's log, and then use that to run a Trace MXP Address operation (p101 Matrix). It's non-obtrusive, so the opponent wouldn't know you were doing it from what I can tell.
hahnsoo
You are required to use the Track utility, as far as I can see. I suppose you can try to stealthily follow the decker (but he's not likely to go back "home", as it were) or check the system logs to determine the node the decker claims to be from (but most deckers do at least a few redirects before hacking a node, and a Graceful Logoff removes this).
hobgoblin
arr, had forgotten about those mpx addresses in matrix.
but then i dont open that book much as its basicly a stack of loose papers...
Fox1

It's my understanding that you'd have to make an Index test (hopefully with a Scanner Utility) to even detect another decker. That of course means he may well be able to make a detection roll against you. Once detect you could of couse follow his icon, but if he can see him- he may be able to see you. Basically skill vs. skill using masking, sleaze and sensor and scanner ratings.

And the second he logs out, he's gone with the method.

Tracing them back to their jack point could in theory be done with a Dump Log action to get a MXP address followed by a Trace MXP Address *if* the Decker logged a valid MXP address with that Host, but the why in the world would the Decker do that?

The best bet for locating the jack point would be to launch trace ICE at him. He'd likely notice, but nothing's perfect.

Remember, if you can do this easy- so can the Hosts and System Admins. That's why it should be hard. Unless you want Corp police at the door of all the Decker characters.
Zeel De Mort
Well, even an illegal matrix tap has a Jackpoint ID, which you could still use to find the physical location of the decker. Sleaze/Masking just cover this up, but you still have to have one. Likewise with an MXP address as far as I can see. It's the host that assigns you this, and then Sleaze/Masking/Camo try to mess with things so you're not noticed.

You're right though, running a trace this way shouldn't be easy - but it is possible.

Of course, maybe the opposing decker is at least mildly clever and is using a satellite uplink. For me, that's easily worth the downsides, in exchange for an untraceable connection.
Fox1
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
Well, even an illegal matrix tap has a Jackpoint ID, which you could still use to find the physical location of the decker. Sleaze/Masking just cover this up, but you still have to have one. Likewise with an MXP address as far as I can see. It's the host that assigns you this, and then Sleaze/Masking/Camo try to mess with things so you're not noticed.

You're right though, running a trace this way shouldn't be easy - but it is possible.

Not official, but perhaps my own personal take on the subject can help...

The way I view it, it's a given that the Decker 'lies' to the system about his MXP. However the MXP is where the data has to flow to, so he can't cover it completely. How can he lie then?

Instead of giving his actual MXP address, he gives one that he passed on the way of arrival at the Host. At this given MXP is not his jack point, but rather a hand off to another segment of his data trail to that MXP that is his jack point. There may be more than on segment.

Hence you can only get the closest handoff in the Host. To reach the actual jackpoint you have to follow the trail. This is what Trace Ice does. If the Decker jacks out before the Trace reaches his true MXP, the segments disappear and the IC has nothing to follow. He's save. If however it arrives before that, his location is made.

Given this, I would think that a rival Decker could run the same path as Trace IC could. Thus the dump log/locate MXP address actions would be the start. To resolve the whole trail he'd have to follow the segments.

In short treating the rival Decker like Trace IC, but using his skill levels.

With this view, it's now possible- but not easy. And it explains why a Host can't automatically locate the jack in point of everyone who enters it.

By the way, I like sat links too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012