Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Regeneration Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
prionic6
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...5E30417,00.html

I can not say wether this could be a hoax, though... And it is certianly not as fast as SRs regeneration. But interesting, esp. the part about normal mice being able to do it with the injection.
hahnsoo
It seems legit to me. Here's a citation on Pub Med on the main researcher's latest paper:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...3806&query_hl=1

Edit: Full text of the article
http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/app/hom...e=1&pagecount=9
Jrayjoker
I heard about the ear thing last year, but the organs and digits is new to me.

Has anyone heard or found proof of the kid who got a nail shot through his heart and had adult stem cell treatment (his own) and made a full recovery? My friend was telling me about it, but I can't find anything on it.
Kagetenshi
This?

Google search terms: nail heart stem cell

~J
hyzmarca
So, what would be the best bioindex cost for converting this into an SR3 gene treatment? There are plenty of uncybered metahumans who wouldn't mind the ability to take damage like a shapeshifter.
Kagetenshi
Depends. What effects would you give it?

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Depends. What effects would you give it?

~J

1 box of physical per combat turn, up to deadly. Must roll a 5 or greater on 1d6 to regenerate deadly. 6 is required to regenerate extreme nervous system damage. (IE called shot to the head staged to deadly) No stun regeneration. Double lifestyle costs sue to extra food intake.

Repeat treatment every six months.
Supercilious
Availabillity and price better be extreme.
Kagetenshi
Maybe 8.9?

Edit: didn't notice that you had it as a repeat treatment, so maybe something like 4 or 5 would be appropriate.

~J
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
This?

Google search terms: nail heart stem cell

~J

Silly me, looking for it in medical journals. pfth! sarcastic.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Man... Y'know, it's stuff like this that makes me wanna start beating the greeners who say that life is inviolate and all that jazz.

Are we tinkering around and playing God? Yes.
Will things be better for it? Hell yes.
Are there limitations on what we should do? As long as good ethical practices are maintained (making sure the animals don't feel pain,) No.
prionic6
You really think those mice feel no pain when they cut their toes off? Or damage their heart? Wow.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 1 2005, 04:01 PM)

Untill you have both created and destroyed entire universes you have not played God.
I'm sick of people using that expression for anything less than the creation or destruction of universes.
ShadowDragon8685
Prionic6: That's what we have a little thing, it's called "Anesthestic" is for.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Untill you have both created and destroyed entire universes you have not played God.
I'm sick of people using that expression for anything less than the creation or destruction of universes.

I would like to see your proof that I haven't.

~J
Sabosect
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 1 2005, 04:23 PM)

~J

Because then you'd be after my job.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 1 2005, 04:23 PM)

~J

I never claimed that you haven't.
Tal
Quantum mechanics would seem to dictate that if it is possible for an individual to destroy universes, then that individual has done so.
blakkie
QUOTE (Tal)
Quantum mechanics would seem to dictate that if it is possible for an individual to destroy universes, then that individual has done so.

So you have an accounting of all universes? Of course it would be tough to have knowledge of a universe that doesn't exist. Hrmmmmm. wink.gif
Supercilious
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Man... Y'know, it's stuff like this that makes me wanna start beating the greeners who say that life is inviolate and all that jazz.

Will things be better for it? Hell yes.
Are there limitations on what we should do? As long as good ethical practices are maintained (making sure the animals don't feel pain,) No.

Ever read the Isle of Dr. Moreau?

Ethics have no place in science.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Tal)

The Many-Worlds hypothesis is one interpretation of quantum mechanics, not something necessarily dictated by it.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012