Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phoniex
Ok, I have the book and well. I still don't know the answers to these questions.

Ok when a hacker/technomancer is hacking it says to use logic + hacking, then on the next line it says to use hacking skill + program rating for the relevant action.
Lets say i have a rating 2 cerebral booster on my hacker and took logic of 5, I also took the cracking skillgroup at 4. And for arguments sake I took HALF of all programs at rating 6 (not possible i know, but it goes to my example.) So 1/2 of the time I am rolling hacking+logic (11 dice) for a hacking test, when I don't have the program and then when I DO have the relevant program I roll only hacking+ program(10 dice). Is this correct? To me IF i do have the relevant program I should be rolling logic+hacking skill+ program rating. But it does not explicately say that.. frown.gif So I could be better off not buying ANY programs if my logic is over 6?
*confused*

The augmented dice cap: lets say I am pistols adept, I want to take 6 levels of improved ability pistols and use a smartlink. Do I get +8 dice to a pistols test? Or is the most i can get +3?

What does the basic cyber-eye system ratings 2-4 do? Do they just give you more capacity to put things in your eyes or do they increase the # of perception dice like "visual augmentation" or whatever that other piece of ware is called.

Does anyone else think that specializations are too cheap? Or that using a melee weapon with reach, well really means very little now? I mean there should be a real reason to not charge the guy with the sword when all you have is your bare hands, and it just does not feel that way. frown.gif

Finally, if i buy a full cyberarm *these too need errata the column with avil/capacity is shifted & avail. is skragged*. And then I want to put a cybergun into it, do I have to pay the essence cost of the gun as well as the capacity cost? The book was just not clear about that to me. But, I might just have missed something on the first pass through.

Anyway, now all i need for my borg character is for arsenal to have laser weapons, specifically a cyber-hand-laser... muhahahhaa biggrin.gif

Damn can't edit the title.. I guess I'll just keep looking like an idiot.. some questionS<---
Sabosect
Check the stickied threads. A lot of this has been answered there.

Now, I believe it's time I used this quote:

STFU SEARCH FUNCTION N00B LOL LOL LOL YUO = t3h SUCK LOL LOL LOL
Phoniex
search does not work nearly as well when looking for answers to specific questions buried in the middle of 10 page threads. But thanks for the point in the right direction, back to page 3 of the matrix thread were i left off before writing the orginal post wink.gif
Sabosect
True. That's why I set it to give individual posts.

But, hey, I just wanted to use that quote. It's been saved in my box for a few days.
hahnsoo
To me IF i do have the relevant program I should be rolling logic+hacking skill+ program rating.  But it does not explicately say that.. frown.gif So I could be better off not buying ANY programs if my logic is over 6?
Under default rules, you roll Electronics/Cracking skill (or other appropriate skill) + Program Rating for specific operations facilitated by the program in question. So a quick search on the WiFi Intertron would be Data Search + Browse. However, if you are operating a specific program or device without the aid of a program (i.e. anything not listed in the rules), then you roll Logic + Appropriate Skill (such as running the built-in software to activate all the maglocks in the facility from the security console, keeping the raptors from eating you).

Our group has recently house ruled that all tests are Logic + Skill, with Program Rating limiting hits (similar to Spell force in spellcasting), and that all "Common Use" programs (like Browse) are built into the the Commlink at Rating 1. If you don't like the default mechanic, feel free to change it.

The augmented dice cap: lets say I am pistols adept, I want to take 6 levels of improved ability pistols and use a smartlink.  Do I get +8 dice to a pistols test? Or is the most i can get +3?
Neither Improved Ability nor Smartlink affect the so-called "Skill cap". There is no "dice pool cap", per se, but there is a cap on how high an augmented skill can go (for improvements that augment skill, like Reflex Recorders or Mnemonic Enhancer) and a cap on how high augmented attributes can go.

What does the basic cyber-eye system ratings 2-4 do? Do they just give you more capacity to put things in your eyes or do they increase the # of perception dice like "visual augmentation" or whatever that other piece of ware is called.
They cost more Essence, but give you more Capacity to add in eye mods. That's about it. Your GM may give intrinsic benefits for more "uber" eyes, but none are stated in the game. Note that all cybereyes now come with recording options and image links by default. Visual Enhancement (1 to 3) needs to be bought separately and installed as an eye mod.
Does anyone else think that specializations are too cheap? Or that using a melee weapon with reach, well really means very little now?  I mean there should be a real reason to not charge the guy with the sword when all you have is your bare hands, and it just does not feel that way.  frown.gif
*shrugs* It's +1 die, or -1 die per point of Reach... Reach used to be so overpowered, and I'm glad those rules were toned down a bit. It's not the Reach modifier by itself, per se, but combination with other modifiers. Personally, I've always thought that the melee combat rules were borked in Shadowrun... you either had to be an adept, cyberzombie, or nothing. It's pretty realistic (don't bring a knife to a gunfight), I guess.

Specializations are indeed cheap, more so after character creation (2 Karma) than before character creation (2 BP).
And then I want to put a cybergun into it, do I have to pay the essence cost of the gun as well as the capacity cost?  The book was just not clear about that to me.  But, I might just have missed something on the first pass through.
You missed something on the first pass. You pay either the Capacity cost in a cyberlimb, OR the Essence cost, but not both.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE ("hahnsoo")
You missed something on the first pass. You pay either the Capacity cost in a cyberlimb, OR the Essence cost, but not both.

Not quite - when installing things into cyberlimbs you are not allowed to pay essence... you must pay capacity.
Phoniex
Thanks for the answers, and a nice houserule smile.gif

So improved ability and smartlink don't "augment skills" ? What could get you over this cap if its not that power and ware?

As always thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012