Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun - Exalted crossover!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jürgen Hubert
Sometimes, I get those really weird ideas and need to put them down somewhere so that they stop pestering me. Personally, I blame it on not taking enough drugs...

The Sixth World is a dark place. Dictatorships abound. Border conflicts are common. Both natural and ecological disasters have ravaged many regions. And behind most of the world's problems stand the Megacons, the not-so-secret rulers of all they survey.

But there are older threats lurking in the shadows. Immortal conspirators, dark magic, and alien spirits all conspire to weaken and destroy the metahuman spirit. Old champions of all that is good have died, and the world sinks ever faster into the darkness. Truly, this is an Age of Sorrows.

But not all is lost. Around the world, a few hundred people experience a vision. The very Sun speaks to them and tasks them "to set the world right". And so the Solar Exalted set out to do, though there are many forces eager to set them astray or destroy them...

System: Uses the SR4 rules as a default. The main differences are:

- The Solars can increase Essence by spending Karma. This costs (New Rating)x3 Karma. Use the "base Essence value" for calculating this - substract Essence loss from cyberware and bioware only afterwards.
- Skill ratings top out at either 6 or at Essence (this time including cyberware modifiers - heavily modified Solars will take some time to catch up...). The Aptitude Quality will increase this limit by one.
- Solars can buy Edge at a cost of (new Rating)x2, and it recovers much more rapidly than with normal characters. Stunts add die to actions as in the Exalted RPG, and 2+ stunts allows the character to recover a point of Edge. The upper limit for Edge is either 6 or Essence. Humans add 1 to this limit.
- Increasing Magic costs (New Rating)x2. Solars count as Mytic Adepts, which means that if they get a new point of Magic, they can choose to spend it either on their power as a mage, or on buying an Adept power. They can also purchase a level of Resonance instead. If they were Magicians before, they can still purchase adept powers or Resonance, but don't loose access to astral projection.
- During Exaltation, Solars get a s***load of Karma for the purposes of increasing Edge, Magic, Essence, and a few skills dependent on their Caste.

So, what do you think?
Oracle
You know - in former times, people could get killed for less... wink.gif
Jürgen Hubert
QUOTE (Oracle)
You know - in former times, people could get killed for less... wink.gif

Maybe, but it should be easy to dodge them with an appropriate two-dice stunt...
Ancient History
Go directly to Hell. Do not pass go, do not plan to convert SR into another game's system.
Grinder
biggrin.gif
Jürgen Hubert
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Go directly to Hell. Do not pass go, do not plan to convert SR into another game's system.

That's not what I was attempting to do. I was attempting to convert annother game's system into Shadowrun. nyahnyah.gif
Demonseed Elite
Interesting. I do think what I'd rather see, though, is a conversion of Earthdawn to SR4 rules. Since that's already technically part of Shadowrun's mythical history.

I do really like ExaltedMouse's Shadowrun Pompeii 78CE though.
blakkie
Would you plan to slide these Exalted in beside normal SR PCs? Because i can forsee issues there as Mr. Bright N. Sunny hogs the spotlight, so to speak.
Tal
Oh, I don't know about that. Strip or lessen the extra karma acquired during exaltation and it's not so bad.
blakkie
QUOTE (Tal @ Sep 2 2005, 08:43 AM)
Oh,  I don't know about that. Strip or lessen the extra karma acquired during exaltation and it's not so bad.

Lowering the Magic and Edge cost and removing the Edge cap (even if they do have to pay for it) is damn nasty. I guess if all characters get the lower Magic costs and these new Edge and Essense increases would pretty much even stuff up, but then you are back to just giving a boost to the SR4 power level and tossing in some nWoD fluff.
Tal
Bleah. I still need to grok the SR4 system.
Jürgen Hubert
QUOTE (blakkie)
Would you plan to slide these Exalted in beside normal SR PCs? Because i can forsee issues there as Mr. Bright N. Sunny hogs the spotlight, so to speak.

First off, I don't actually plan to run this - I've just started a "normal" Exalted campaign, and if I do run SR4 at some point, I'll do it with "standard" characters.

But if I were to run it, I'd probably do a Solars-only game, unless some player really wanted to play a "normal" character and doesn't mind getting outshone by the Solars. I mean, the whole point of the Solars is that they are head and shoulders above the rest of humanity...

Though there are certainly plenty of things to challenge Solars with in the Sixth World - dragons, powerful free spirits, merc teams with high end weapons...

Another thought: Adept powers that can only be accessed by spending a point of Edge, and only accessible to Solars. This might allow things like perfect defenses: Spend a point of Edge, and you dodge/block/parry any attack, no matter how powerful and how many successes the attacker rolled...
Supercilious
QUOTE (Tal)
Bleah. I still need to grok the SR4 system.

I feel you.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jürgen Hubert)
But if I were to run it, I'd probably do a Solars-only game, unless some player really wanted to play a "normal" character and doesn't mind getting outshone by the Solars. I mean, the whole point of the Solars is that they are head and shoulders above the rest of humanity...

Ya, i guess i should have assumed you understood just how hugely stronger such a character would be unless being an Solar cost enormous BP to the point of gimping them.

Though there are certainly plenty of things to challenge Solars with in the Sixth World - dragons, powerful free spirits, merc teams with high end weapons...

Dragons have definately got a serious relative power boost in SR4. With the new magic mechanics they vastly outclass metahumans in casting abilities. Basically an also-ran GD can simultaneous cast to simulate about 3 PC mages. eek.gif Or just unload a metric ton of unstoppable hurt in one spell. Higher force spirits likewise are nasty casters. Those types of opponents also tend to have much planning and cunning behind them. Not sure about IE, but at their upper end they are suppose to by canon be something that can hang with mid-range dragons straight up.

But I'm having a hard time envisioning a merc team with hot enough canon gear to match in combat a well rounded Solar team that are anything beyond noobs.

P.S. SR Vampires perhaps? I haven't looked them over that hard yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012