Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 -> SR4 Initiation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maverick
Ok maybe im missing something, but under 4th edition, it seems ridiculously expensive to upgrade an adept (or mage for that matter i guess).

Initiation under new rules.
Starting with an adept with a magic attribute of 6, and an initiation rank of 0
Upgrading with karma as follows:
CODE
magic 7 = 21
rank 1 = 13
= 34 karma

magic 8 = 24
rank 2 = 16
= 40 karma

magic 9 = 27
rank 3 = 19
= 46 karma

= 120 karma
= Mav shoots self

Whereas in 3rd edition using the group and ordeal rules from Magic In the Shadows it used to cost 32 karma to initiate 3 times.

The difference in cost comes from 2 factors.
Firstly that initiation no longer increases the magic attribute itself, just allows the maximum to go higher than 6, you still have to pay the karma to upgrade the attribute to gain that extra power point.
And secondly from the increased cost in initiation itself, with a higher multiplier, and no rules i could find regarding lessening that cost via group initiation or ordeals.

Making the swap over to 4th edition, my adept is now half the man he used to be... frown.gif
Am i doing the maths right here? I seriously hope not.
Blacken
Good. Initiation costs were far too low.
Shadow
Not that you can really convert characters from 3rd to 4th, but all the characters are .5 the man. The SR4 powerscale was slid all the way to '12 year old with a pistol' for SR4.

If there was some magic universe where you could pit two starting characters together, a blind monkey could make an SR3 character that kicked a SR4 characters butt.

At least thats my impression from the character gen rules that have been posted.
Gort
I kind of like the lower power starting level.

Why on earth would someone pay 1,000,000 yen to be able to take on jobs that pay out 10,000 for risk to life and limb? Why not just retire?
Supercilious
Buy the PDF, it is worth it even if you never plan to run SR4.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Gort)

Why on earth would someone pay 1,000,000 yen to be able to take on jobs that pay out 10,000 for risk to life and limb? Why not just retire?

1,000,000 over a lifetime. Some people just don't save well. They spend their money on the newest toys and gadgets that they really don't need instead of putting it in a bank. Of course, 1,000,000 doesn't go as far as it once did.
Gort
Buy the PDF, it is worth it even if you never plan to run SR4

What?

I already did.

It's a pretty horrible PDF that needs a lot of optimisation.
Mal-2
QUOTE (Maverick)
Whereas in 3rd edition using the group and ordeal rules from Magic In the Shadows it used to cost 32 karma to initiate 3 times.

If I recall correctly, SR3 initiation was pretty expensive in the base book too. The Magic In the Shadows equivalent book isn't out for SR4 yet (Street Magic, I think). I assume we'll see more on initiation there, the same way we have ever since SR1.

Until then, either convert some older initiation rules (if you're the GM), or bank your karma (if you're a player).

I wouldn't expect SR4 initiation to be quite as cheap as it used to be, though.
Shadow
QUOTE (Supercilious @ Sep 2 2005, 07:57 AM)
Buy the PDF, it is worth it even if you never plan to run SR4.

I can get the book or the PDF, I choose the book.

As for a lower power level, you could scale SR3 to the level you wanted. Less power? 90bp, more? Add karma after generation. From what I have seen SR4 breaks if you get to much more powerful than starting. I cannot confirm this of course since I am still waiting on my book.

The million nuyen thing did not represent strait money the character had. It represented assets. If he was in the military maybe they invested in cyber for him, or a cop etc. It wasn't money the character just had.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Mal-2)
If I recall correctly, SR3 initiation was pretty expensive in the base book too.

SR3 initiation wasn't pretty expensive in the base book, because it wasn't in the base book, at all. There was a method for buying powerpoints directly with Karma, which was typically more expensive than initiation, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.
blakkie
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Gort @ Sep 2 2005, 10:57 AM)

1,000,000 over a lifetime. Some people just don't save well. They spend their money on the newest toys and gadgets that they really don't need instead of putting it in a bank. Of course, 1,000,000 doesn't go as far as it once did.

If i remember correctly even pulling it out right after chargen and selling it second hand would buy you a permanent highlifestyle, or at least a medium lifestyle. With leftovers to invest so you could buy your way out of a wide variety of past transgressions that might have sent you into the shadows, including paying for the dumbass fools that actually still chose to run the shadows. Not all transgressions of course, but pretty much anything that woudn't reasonably get ganked in short order whether you were a 'runner or not.

That is one thing that SR4 did was bring a hint of sanity back into that part of the economics of running. Just a hint, but that's more than there was before.

It also happens to have in the process made it something other than shear madness [from a metagaming POV] to not buy as much 'ware as you could cram in at chargen.
blakkie
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Mal-2 @ Sep 2 2005, 11:06 AM)
If I recall correctly, SR3 initiation was pretty expensive in the base book too.

SR3 initiation wasn't pretty expensive in the base book, because it wasn't in the base book, at all. There was a method for buying powerpoints directly with Karma, which was typically more expensive than initiation, so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

It was more expensive up until the 7th PP you bought, then it started being cheaper.
blakkie
Maverick, i'm inclined to agree with Initiation costs seem on the high side for Adepts considering what they get vs. what Mages get. Even though Mages have to buy each spell too, the only do it once and every extra Magic point automatically increase the power of all the spells.

However i can't say i've been able to play it out over time, or even simulate that, to see how they pan out vs. Mage or Mystic Adept even.

EDIT: I will say though that i think that this level of Initiation cost + Magic increase is needed for Mages.
JongWK
Maverick, do note that in your calculations, you're using shortcuts for SR3 (ordeals, initiatory groups) and the base SR4 cost. Once Street Magic comes out, I suspect you might see those in it.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (JongWK)
Maverick, do note that in your calculations, you're using shortcuts for SR3 (ordeals, initiatory groups) and the base SR4 cost. Once Street Magic comes out, I suspect you might see those in it.

Yeah, initiating three times without a group or ordeal costs 18 + 21 + 24 or 63 Karma. Not nearly as much as it does in SR4 (assuming you also buy the magic attribute point to correspond to it), but still higher than what has been stated above.
Cochise
QUOTE (blakkie)
It was more expensive up until the 7th PP you bought, then it started being cheaper.

Grade 8 ... (All with ordeal and group *thus assuming that GM allowed repeating certain ordeals*):

Grade 1: 6*1.5 (rounded down) = 9
Grade 2: 7*1.5 (rounded down) = 10
Grade 3: 8*1.5 (rounded down) = 12
Grade 4: 9*1.5 (rounded down) = 13
Grade 5: 10*1.5 (rounded down) = 15
Grade 6: 11*1.5 (rounded down) = 16
Grade 7: 12*1.5 (rounded down) = 18
Grade 8: 13*1.5 (rounded down) = 19
Grade 9: 14*1.5 (rounded down) = 21

And since an initiation has more benefits than just giving a new power point even grade 9 is still the better choice ... provided that a GM actually allows ordeals and their repetition or doesn't restrict group access beyond the mere dice rolls required to find one ...

Clyde
I suspect the souped up cost is there to get rid of the SR2 and 3 problem of infinite initiation possibilities for adepts. Back then, the Adept could hit grade 12 in a high powered campaign at which point having a Street Samurai on hand was totally superfluous.
Kesh
So, we have one thread that says Adepts are overpowered, and another that says they're crippled.

... sounds good to me. wink.gif
wagnern
QUOTE (Shadow)
If there was some magic universe where you could pit two starting characters together, a blind monkey could make an SR3 character that kicked a SR4 characters butt.

Perhaps they wanted to reighn in some of the lunacy that was taking place in SR3? (remember the post about physads who could break local speeding laws on foot, or trolls who could get jobs as tow trucks without a truck.)
Gort
QUOTE (Kesh)
So, we have one thread that says Adepts are overpowered, and another that says they're crippled.

To be fair, they're talking about different things.

The "overpowered" bit comes at character generation when someone takes 12 points of mystic armour for a naked armour score of 12/12, or when someone adds a million dice to their shooting skill and rolls 24 dice out of the gate.

The "crippled" bit comes when they're improving their magic with karma.

Both are problems, but I feel the former should be addressed first since it can screw up a game before it even starts
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Gort)
The "overpowered" bit comes at character generation when someone takes 12 points of mystic armour for a naked armour score of 12/12, or when someone adds a million dice to their shooting skill and rolls 24 dice out of the gate.

But you can't do this at character creation. Magic Rating limits your highest level of power. If you have 6 Magic Rating, you can only have a Mystic Armor level of 6. You can only have as many Improved Ability dice as you do base skill, as well.
blakkie
@ Cochise

Yes, if you were able to take the maximum Initiation discounts it was cheaper much longer.
Blacken
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Gort @ Sep 2 2005, 02:19 PM)

But you can't do this at character creation. Magic Rating limits your highest level of power. If you have 6 Magic Rating, you can only have a Mystic Armor level of 6. You can only have as many Improved Ability dice as you do base skill, as well.

So...only 6/6?

Damn, sorry.
blakkie
QUOTE (Blacken)
So...only 6/6?

Damn, sorry.

And only then if you put out the 65BP to bring Magic up from 1 --> 6, and take no 'ware.
Maverick
blakkie, JongWK, Mal-2,

Yeah good points, i hadnt really thought of expansion books yet...
I'll have a chat to the GM and see what he thinks...

Does anyone know when Street Magic will be released?

Or any of the other upcoming core books like cannon companion, rigger, matrix, sr companion etc?
Phoniex
*opinion:begin* I personally believe that initiation in 3rd edition was far too easy and far too good. Using the group initiation and ordeal rules on every magically active character just basically bent the power level of the game. I do not believe that the developers intented every magically active person to imediately join/form a group and then take an ordeal to initiate. There were 100+ karma characters in my game that never spent a point on anything other than bonding foci and initiating. And the game played into that mindset because of the amazing metamagics and powers you got when you initiated. Plus, if the cost is reduced, well why NOT join a group, there have got to be other magicially active people out in the world that want to initiate just like you do. I mean, the only skill any magic using character I played that ever got raised ingame was centering, and thats only because you could not buy the skill at character generation.

Now, while i still would like to see cost breaks on initation come out in "street magic", I do think that tonning down the jackrabbit pace magically active players enjoyed compared to sams, in SR3, is a good thing.
Edge2054
QUOTE (Gort)
QUOTE (Kesh @ Sep 2 2005, 01:11 PM)

To be fair, they're talking about different things.

The "crippled" bit comes when they're improving their magic with karma.

Both are problems, but I feel the former should be addressed first since it can screw up a game before it even starts

Errr... Mystic Armor adds to Ballistic as well as impact?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Edge2054)
Errr... Mystic Armor adds to Ballistic as well as impact?

Yup. And because it's armor, you roll it along with Body for damage resistance.
Grinder
Imo Mystic Armor way underpowered in SR3. Nice they change it. smile.gif
Gort
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
If you have 6 Magic Rating, you can only have a Mystic Armor level of 6. You can only have as many Improved Ability dice as you do base skill, as well.

I concede the mystic armour bit, but you can also raise your attribute score using your power points, which results in the 24-dice-at-chargen monster.
Ryu
So the ki-ad fills up to 6 pts of magic and ware, the sam fills 6 pts of essence.

Should the ki-ad decide to pass that common border, he has to pay up. NICE!

Flexible character generation systems allow for varying levels of power. So far samurai had the greatest choice of balance between "out of the gate" power and upgrading potential. If one adopts the not-all-are-equal policy of SR4s magic rating, the adept retains room for growth until he hits the semi-hard cap of 6 pts. If you go straigth to the limit, you are in the same growth position as the zero essence samurai. Better is possible, but takes time.

Many mages might forfeit magic points in favor of higher initiation grade. If you initiated for the metamagic anyway and weren´t thrilled by one more point of widely useless magic, spending it on bioware was very tempting. Now, not so. Also NICE!
Knarfy
Actually, Initiation really isnt much more expensive than it ever was, its just most of the cost is all 'up front' now.

For example, lets say in SR3, your mage just nabbed himself some Karma. He decides hes gonna initiate, woo! So, first, he joins a magical group, that costs 3 karma. Now, he decides to initiate to grade 1 with an ordeal, that costs 9 karma (if memory serves) So far, hes spent 12 karma to get to grade 1. Thats pretty cheap. But lets look at just what that gives him: A point of magic, and a metamagic skill.
So what does that mean for him? Well, with no more karma spent, that means that he can try to summon a force 7 spirit without taking phisical drain, but thats not any easier to summon or resist the drain from. He gets no other benifit from his increased magic point untill he re-buys his spells at force 7. (except for putting up wards, he gets better at that for free! woo!) So lets say he has 3 spells he wants at max force, theres 21 karma he needs to spend. Oh, and if he took a metamagic technique that requires a separate skill (like so many of them do) to get it to a minimum useful rating of 4, he will have to spend another 14 karma.

So in total, for the +1 magic, the metamagic, and the ability to have 3 spells that take advantage of his new magic, he has paid anywhere from 33 to 47 karma.

Now, lets look at what it would be in SR4. The initiation would cost an easy 13 karma, without the trouble of finding a group or going through an ordeal (that would cost 18 in SR3) Then he raises his magic from 6 to 7, for 21 more. So what does he get this time? A metamagic skill that is instantly useful to him to at least a small degree, irregardless of which one it is, and the ability to cast all of his spells at a higher force without suffering phisical drain, and the equivilent increase of one point to every single magic based skill Thats an increase to the whole sorcery skill group, and the whole cojuring skill group. Thats like, 6 skills.

Raising just sorcery and conjuring to 7 in SR3 (barring huge attribute expenditures) would have cost something like 28 karma just by itself.

So, in conclusion, initiating really isnt that much more expensive, its just more obvious about it.
nick012000
No, because the Mage can just go and buy the spell at a much higher Force than his magic once, and use an Astral Quest to reduce the Karma cost.
Derek
QUOTE (Phoniex @ Sep 2 2005, 06:47 PM)
Plus, if the cost is reduced, well why NOT join a group, there have got to be other magicially active people out in the world that want to initiate just like you do.

GM enforced reasons would be the reason not to initiate. Every SR game that I have played, there were disadvantages to being part of a group, including them asking favors of you (you are a contact for them), paying nuyen to support the group, having the groups enemies target you, etc...

Often it was worth the extra karma to avoid the group hassles.

Derek
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Derek)
QUOTE (Phoniex @ Sep 2 2005, 06:47 PM)
Plus, if the cost is reduced, well why NOT join a group, there have got to be other magicially active people out in the world that want to initiate just like you do.

GM enforced reasons would be the reason not to initiate. Every SR game that I have played, there were disadvantages to being part of a group, including them asking favors of you (you are a contact for them), paying nuyen to support the group, having the groups enemies target you, etc...

Often it was worth the extra karma to avoid the group hassles.

Derek

With the exception of dues, mandatory geasa, and mandatory spells/matemagics every disadvantage associated with a group can be considered plot hooks. PLot hooks are good things, even when they screw over the character. It is about fun, after all.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012